WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Loads for C96 red 9

Boolit Master

Loads for C96 red 9

I've had this gun for 40 years but never shot it much because it was impossible to disassemble and reassemble, took it apart today and found out why.
    Some mismatched parts from other guns were just off a little.
    Now that it's all back together like it should be I plan on shooting it more often.
    Anyone shot their C96 with cast?
    What loads do you use?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0679.jpg  

I've never had the pleasure of firing the Construction 96, much less a Red Nine. But I'd use the lightest load that works the action and a hard alloy bullet. That gun is 100 years old; please be nice to it. And provide the mandatory pics/ range report!

Wow! That's really nice. Looks like you've got the entire rig. I've never shot one either...just the 7.63mm version with FMJ ammo.

I have a commercial C96 shipped to the US 1906 but it is a .30. The gun is stout enough and handles 105 grain cast bullets with Unique. I don't recall the charge off hand but chronograph shows 1300 +/-. Fully equal or better than .32-20 and much fun to shoot but not so much fun to find the brass.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I just wasn't in the right place with money in hand when they came in from China, dang it.

Boolit Buddy
    The leather rig seems to be some kind of reproduction? The wooden stock / holster has also a strange joint. Have you noticed that the cleaning rod / screwdriver has a mission when taking apart the hammer spring locking device?

Boolit Buddy

Prior to shooting make sure the spring in the bolt is ok. They weaken quickly. I've had to replace three in my 7.63. If the gun is matching consider the drop in value when a numbered part breaks.

When I shot mine I started with the beginning loads in the manuals. They produced normal functioning so I loaded down and determined the lightest load that would function reliably. That became the standard.

In Remembrance

It`s funny. For alot of years I had a 7.63 cal. 4" Bolo model laying in my safe. I couldn`t seem to get the `hang` of shooting it. I put it in a sporting goods auction and it brought me $675! Not bad for a $150 investment.Robert

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    In 2003 I bought a 1925 red handle C-96 for $180 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broom handle Mauser C-96 0 2003 30 Mauser 10-2-2013.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	230229to overload it past the point that blows up a CZ52, to show the load books were wrong about which were stronger.
    I almost got there, but the primer started piercing just short of the mark.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...7AOE%5B1-25%5D

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    In 2003 I bought a 1925 red handle C-96 for $180 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broom handle Mauser C-96 0 2003 30 Mauser 10-2-2013.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	230229to overload it past the point that blows up a CZ52, to show the load books were wrong about which were stronger.
    I almost got there, but the primer started piercing just short of the mark.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...7AOE%5B1-25%5D
    Why didn't you switch to rifle primers so you could finish destroying a fine gun?
    Do you still have the Mauser at all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Mauser is a stout shooter and I see no need to baby them but by the same token, they need not be abused. Factory level loads are not going to hurt it. If you fear breaking something through normal usage, don't shoot it at all.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Why didn't you switch to rifle primers so you could finish destroying a fine gun?
    Do you still have the Mauser at all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Now in 2018, it is harder to access my 2003 computer which says what primer I used.
    I know now from 6mmBR overloads that the CCI450 small magnum rifle primer has the thickest cup.

Boolit Master
    You should replace all coil springs with wolff make replacement springs. Another thing to replace is the bolt stop in age they can crack and the bolt can hit you in the face. Its better to be safe then sorry.

Boolit Master

My DAD used what is now a max+ charge of Bullseye under a #356402 cast of Straight Linotype.

Functioned the pistol perfectly.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life