MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Two way radios

Boolit Master

Two way radios

I have a few family members coming to my place for WI gun deer season next weekend, and I woulnd't mind picking up a set of radios. I've just about driven myself batty reading reviews, mostly of people that take these things on cruises. I know Motorola is a big name, followed closely by Midland and Uniden, with Chinese knock-offs galore. Do you guys have any suggestions based on experiences, good or bad, to help me narrow this down? Or is this one of those cases of quit wasting time researching and just buy one that is middle of the road price-wise.

Boolit Master

for your stated purpose --------- what you said
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Banned
    Don't over think this. You're talking about low wattage, family radio service [FRS]. This is simplex, UHF, radio with a max output of 2 watts and a hand held radio with a fixed antenna.

Despite the claims by the sellers of those radios, the range is pretty short in anything other than ideal conditions. Barren hilltop to barren hilltop or across open water will get you the best range but most real world conditions it will be significantly less.
    In hilly, wooded terrain I would expect less than 1 mile range. As for the brand or the cost, I doubt there's any huge difference in performance but there may be some difference in durability of the actual radio.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 11-10-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Boolit Master

I would do a head count of CELL PHONES first. I'll bet dollars to dog food you have more than enough on hand. May have to share, or get a day loaner. Do you get good coverage in your hunting area? might have to send group messages to simulate radio

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    I would do a head count of CELL PHONES first. I'll bet dollars to dog food you have more than enough on hand. May have to share, or get a day loaner. Do you get good coverage in your hunting area? might have to send group messages to simulate radio
    Agreed, if you have good cell service in the area you will be operating in, that's a better low cost option.

One advantage to radio is it allows everyone in the group to hear all of the communication's for the group at the same time but a group text will do the same thing.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-mod...services-rules

FCC Personal Radio Service Revisions Affect GMRS, FRS, CB, Other Part 95 Devices

“This Report and Order completes a thorough review of the PRS rules in order to modernize them, remove outdated requirements, and reorganize them to make it easier to find information,” the FCC said in a summary attached to the R&O. “As a result of this effort, the rules will become consistent, clear, and concise.”

GMRS and FRS devices are used for personal communication over several miles; compact FRS handhelds, often sold in pairs, are widely available.

While GMRS and FRS share spectrum, GMRS provides for greater communications range and requires an FCC license; FRS does not.

“The rules increase the number of communications channels for both GMRS and FRS, expand digital capabilities to GMRS (currently allowed for FRS), and increase the power/range for certain FRS channels to meet consumer demands for longer range communications (while maintaining higher power capabilities for licensed GMRS)”

The amended rules eventually will eliminate combination FRS/GMRS radios for the most part, but allow up to 2W PEP output for FRS transceivers.

“Many current users of GMRS/FRS combination radios did not obtain licenses to operate over the GMRS frequencies in those radios,” the FCC said. “Much of this problem likely arises as a result of the mass consumer marketing of combination devices for sale to the public in large quantities to users who do not know about or do not understand the licensing requirements attached to such radios and obligations associated with operating in the GMRS.”

The FCC will no longer will certify FRS devices that incorporate GMRS capabilities or capabilities of other services.

Existing GMRS/FRS combination radios that operate at power levels of less than 2 W ERP are reclassified as FRS devices; existing GMRS/FRS radios that operate above that power level are reclassified as GMRS devices, requiring an individual license.

Radios that can transmit on GMRS repeater input channels will continue to be licensed individually and not by rule.

“We believe the 2W limit for FRS is appropriate, because many of the existing combination GMRS/FRS radios already operate under that level with no significant complaints about interference or other problems, and it provides a reasonable balance between the desire for increased range over the prior FRS power levels and battery life,” the FCC said. The rule changes phases out the use of voice-scrambling or “obscuring” features in all Part 95 devices, and it will ultimately prohibit manufacture, importation, or sale of any devices incorporating such features, “regardless of whether the Commission has previously certified that radio.”

The new Part 95 rules became effective 30 days after their publication in The Federal Register
    https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...service-reform
    and are now in effect.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-10-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

ADMIN

https://www.amazon.com/Arcshell-Rech...70_&dpSrc=srch

even includes a ear piece.
    The amazon reviews are good
    They are UHF so your range is limited to about 3 or 4 miles tops
    If you are wanting longer range get these. They are VHF
    https://www.amazon.com/Earpiece-Hand...70_&dpSrc=srch

They should be good for about 5 miles maybe 6.
    VHF radios aren't as popular as the UHF so you shouldn't have much interference. Most of the cheap GRMS radios are UHF

Boolit Master

as above, frs (no license uhf) are all the same under the hood.
    hold the up to your face as vertical as possible and they'll all perform alike.

without a license, the next step up is murs.
    license free vhf.
    these are common but not abundantly so.
    you won't find them on walmart shelves.

they are limited to 5 frequencies, 3 of which are narrow band.
    they will perform better out in the woods than frs.
    maybe not enough to notice depending how spread out your party is.
    uhf shines in clear space or bouncing around reflective buildings.

so, as above, just pick up a couple "pairs" of frs and be done.

all gmrs radios are uhf.
    gmrs is a licensed service.
    frs operates in the same "band" as gmrs but is license free with much stricter rules.
    murs is license free in the vhf band that the old land mobile or "business band" still uses.
    motorola blue dot and green dot frequencies are 2 of the 5 murs channels.

please don't transmit where you're not authorized.
    easy to do with import "freeband" radios.

there is more of course but strays far off topic.

i'm an extra class amateur licensee with several repeaters as well as maintaining a friend's licensed gmrs repeater.

good luck
    Last edited by WebMonkey; 11-10-2018 at 08:47 PM.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Man
    I applied for and received the GMRS authorization. The call sign they assigned me is kind of funny. It starts with "WQVC". I didn't buy my radios from QVC though.
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

Banned
    The FRS radios that are often sold in blister packs of 2 -6 radios are all about the same.

We talking about 2 watts max on a simplex (no repeater) UHF frequency with a handheld radio.

Again, if you have good cell service where your group will be operating, that's likely the easiest and cheapest solution.
    If you need FRS due to no cell service, either buy a blister pack with the appropriate number of radios or get one for yourself and tell everyone else to bring their own.

If you need to jump up to GMRS, apply for a license, set up a repeater if needed, buy gear, etc........you're getting awfully involved for a simple hunting trip. I don't think that would be worth it for that short term use.

Go VHF and don't look back

The Multi-Use Radio Service or MURS is the product of refarming the former Business Pool VHF frequencies formerly known as the “color dot” channels. These were moved from Part 90 to Part 95 of the FCC Regulations to become a VHF Citizens Band for private, two-way, short-distance communications service for personal or business activities of the general public.

Anyone is authorized by rule to operate a MURS transmitter if they are not a foreign government or a representative of a foreign government; they use the transmitter in accordance with the rules. No illegal activity, no profanity, be an adult and play nice. An MURS station is not required to transmit a station identification announcement or callsign. The channels authorized are available on a shared basis only and may not assigned for exclusive use of any entity. Users must cooperate in the selection and use of channels in order to reduce interference and avoid interference to other MURS transmissions.

MURS radios are permitted 2 watts of RF output, just like current rules for FRS. An advantage of MURS over FRS is that you can use a more efficient, elevated antenna with "gain" to increase your useful "radio horizon" and range. At VHF frequencies antenna height is more important than transmitter power. The higher the antenna the better the reception. For two hand-held units on flat terrain, standing in the open, without foliage, buildings or terrain obstructions, with both transceivers held at face level, theoretical line of sight is about 5 miles, the best range you can hope for on simplex without improved antennas. MURS performance is very similar to a Marine VHF band or 2-meter ham hand-held operating at the same power level with similar antenna.

A 3 dB gain 5/8 wave antenna whip, about 46 inches long, mounted high on your vehicle roof doubles effective radiated power. A mobile magnetic mount can also be used as an improvised base station antenna by placing it on a metal rain gutter, railing, or metal shed roof. Dedicated base station antennas are also available and VHF marine band and commercial landmobile antennas in the VHF-high range will also work.

FIVE SHARED MURS CHANNELS 151.820 MHz, 151.880 MHz, 151.940 MHz, 154.570 MHz, 154.600 MHz are available. The first three are "narrow band" and the .57 and .60 channels are "wide band" suitable for older radios. Users must cooperate in the selection and use of channels in order to reduce interference and avoid interference to others. This includes monitoring the transmitting frequency for communications in progress and such other measures as may be necessary to minimize the potential for causing interference. This all comes under the general heading of that the FCC calls "good operating practice." It is common sense and courtesy.

Around cities you will hear fast food drive-in windows, warehouse operations, landscapers and trash collection, building maintenance and construction site crews. The wide-band FM channels 154.57 and 154.60 get more use in most places than the 151 Mhz. narrow-band ones.

Attachment 230206
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    SO with MURS we're basically getting VHF simplex at 2 watts max verses FRS with UHF simplex at 2 watts max but we have the option of a better antenna with MURS ?

If we had vehicle operations and maybe someone on an elevated position to act as a base to relay if needed, I could see some advantage to MURS but I don't think that is the OP's situation.

Again, if we're talking about a one time informal hunting party with hand held radios, I'm not sure we're gaining much by going to VHF. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    SO with MURS we're basically getting VHF simplex at 2 watts max verses FRS with UHF simplex at 2 watts max but we have the option of a better antenna with MURS ?

If we had vehicle operations and maybe someone on an elevated position to act as a base to relay if needed, I could see some advantage to MURS but I don't think that is the OP's situation.

Again, if we're talking about a one time informal hunting party with hand held radios, I'm not sure we're gaining much by going to VHF. Am I missing something?
    You've basically got it. We use MURS because all of our guys have 5/8 wave whip antennas on their vehicles. We also have a base station antenna up 30 ft. on the chimney cap of the camp, so we have good area coverage and can talk to the guys with portables farther out than they can talk to each other. A couple of us also have ham licenses and our radios are programmed with both 2-meter ham and MURS as well as marine VHF in the same unit, which is handy. Also have 154.28, 155.16 and 155.175 programmed in the base unit and the handhelds of those in the group who are volunteer EMS and SAR to communicate with sheriff's posse or SAR units if needed.

The ICOM F3S radios we use were repurposed from local government use after the general county radio system went to APCO25 UHF trunk. They still keep the old analog VHF EMS mutual aid and fireground talkaround channels active for the volunteer FD who haven't migrated to the new radio system.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.