Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: 32 H&R Mag and SR4756. Anyone?

Boolit Grand Master

32 H&R Mag and SR4756. Anyone?

I just found a box with several cans of powder I forgot I bought a couple of years ago and it has a few cans of SR4756. I'm pretty sure I posted the buy on here when it happened. Anyways, I've never used it and noticed several loads for the 32 H&R Mag.

Anyone try it in this caliber and for that matter, is there something it does that other powders don't? Information looks good but I don't see the advantage over others. I'm going to burn it up in my other pistols.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    The 32 H&R Magnum is not picky about powders. At all.

Now, the 32/20 WCF revolver can be a sulky, uncooperative beast about powders. The late Ken Waters considered SR-4756 his "Pet Load" powder for the 32/20 in the wheelgun. SR-4756 has been discontinued for almost 3 years now, and my stocks of it are low. I am investigating Alliant Herco as a replacement in 32/20 revolvers, and it seems to be almost as good.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I’ve used it for some warm loads in 32 SWL just because I had some. It meters ok, ignites well, made good velocity and small groups with RCBS 98 grain wadcutter. It works well there. It should do very well in 32 H&R. I haven’t used it in my Single Six 32 H&Rs bc in those I either run light with Bullseye or run hard with 2400 or 9450. 4756 would fall in the middle. I should work some loads for it in 32 H&R. Might even have to try it in 32-20, a caliber I’ve just started exploring. Bullseye has been great there so I haven’t branched out any.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Grand Master

9450?

Boolit Master
    9450 is a surplus powder close to 4759 to 2400 in burn rate. Kernels and density look like 2400. For all I know it could be slow 2400. Good stuff for magnum revolvers. Bartlett had some in the Great Powder Drought.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Grand Master

I have several jugs of surplus from Jeff for duplexing. Had a problem with my credit card being run from out of state, bank security thing, and he called me up to work it out. Great guy to buy from

Boolit Master
    I went to SR4756 as soon as I tried it in the 32-20 (from Ken Waters book). It was great in a 32-20. Better than great. I am nursing my remaining SR4756 for that caliber only.

I also have a number of .32 Magnums and, before SR4756 was discontinued, tried it in them. After all, shooting the EXACT same bullet at about the same velocities from both should work well, right? I was disappointed. It worked OK. It was no better (but also no worse) than several other powders I have used in the .32 Magnum. Ones that were easier to find even back before it was discontinued. That made it especially disappointing since the powder was so great in the 32-20.

Go ahead and use it in the .32 Magnum. It will work.