WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 470 NE & Vihtavuori response

Boolit Master

470 NE & Vihtavuori response

I called Vihtavuori today to ask about 470 NE loads,especially 350-400 grain bullets. There is some data around the net,this from Accurate looks reliable:

Attachment 230169.

I introduced myself and the matter, a nice lady connected me to someone in charge. So I asked him about N120,it having a burn rate like 5744. I mentioned the 5744 loads above . "We haven't tested it. Write your will and go ahead. If you survive,call us back and report the results." He proceeded to advise more,"you may want to search the Internet some more."

A single little customer isn't worth much to some big companies these days. And I did not even mention cast bullets.

Anyone loading 300-400 grain bullets for 470 Nitro Express? I have moulds in the mail. Obviously no Vihtavuori data needed now.

Boolit Master
    Swift and Barnes are the only reloading manuals in my library that list 470 loads and only with 500 grain bullets. My experience with cast bullets has been less than stellar with shotgun like patterns rather than groups. I hope to have some time next year to work on cast bullet loads.

My practice load is a 477 grain home made jacketed bullet ahead of 57 grains of IMR 4895, it gives impressive groups when my eyes and nerves are working as they should.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    Elk hunter,Thank you for the reply.Yes it is 500 grains load data all over the place.

Which cast bullets did you try? I have the coating thing working good in 458 cal guns now.

I understand the fixed barrel regulation is for the standard 500 load, lighter bullets usually meet further out there. I once helped a friend with an adjustable 8x57R Merkel,got it figured out and sort of regret not buying it because he sold it after I fixed the regulation for Woodleighs...

Boolit Master
    The cast bullet I've tried is the RCBS 476-400 plain base. My rifle is a Ruger #1 single shot built by a friend and a gift to me from him. All the cast loads I've tried so far are ones that came with the rifle. Here, in America, there is little call for 470 loads cast or jacketed as most folks here don't hunt the type of animals it is intended/needed for.

If you come up with an accurate cast bullet load please post it so those few of us that like and shoot such things will benefit from your work.

Boolit Master
    We don't have many dinosaurs either. And very few people cast bullets around here.

The rifle belongs to a friend who can't handle much recoil anymore for medical reasons, I figured I might be able to develop some lighter loads for him. It's a nice double safari rifle,nice guns needs to be used. And I have a ton of alloy.

We will have a 20 gauge appointment this week,I have a few. He may be able to use those foor hunting. I thought I ruined my shoulders a few years back by exessive bow shooting practise but somehow I recovered, so I can relate to my friend's situation. On the other hand,my heart is not what it once was so some NITRO might be in order while I still can...

I will report for sure. A 400 @ 2000 fps would be nice.

Boolit Master
    Got two Lee moulds in today. Good quality!

Funny that one mould costs less than one 450 NE factory round.

Attachment 230348

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Petander,

With those large meplats those bullets look like they would be the hammer of Thor. I would think one of those would work well on moose or elk.

Boolit Master
    Yes I think so,too. With the right alloy.

This 18 BHN alloy has over 10% antimony for some reason,these are on the edge of being brittle. For plinkers. 400 grain "plinker" sounds ... ehh... sort of funny,doesn't it?

Those Lee moulds really surprised me this time. Everything is right,even the shank size. Handles stay on place. Bullets drop easy,hardly a tap needed.

Boolit Master
    Now I managed to contact someone else in Vihtavuori. We were talking the same language,he was very helpful and even called me back. He is the Chief of test shooters.

He recommended VV N130 for 470NE with lighter bullets. But not less than 70% fillup. N120 is possible but again, no less than 70%. N 130 makes sense, being used for other large straight wall cartridges.

They are working on a new relatively fast powder that fills up better.
    Last edited by Petander; 11-27-2018 at 10:31 AM.