RepackboxGraf & SonsWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationStainLess Steel MediaTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Anyone have a T/C .36 caliber Maxi-Ball mould? Measurements?

  1. #1
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Whitefish, MT
    Posts
    12

    Anyone have a T/C .36 caliber Maxi-Ball mould? Measurements?

    So I'm trying to get a replacement barrel in .36 caliber happening. Currently on the hunt for a barrelmaker. I already have these ready (this project has been gathering dust since 9/11).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TA.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	230159

    I really don't want to open the packaging to cast a few to measure myself in case the project follows through and they end up being for sale.

    Anyone out there who casts these who can give me the measurements across the bands, the length of the bullet, and the weight of the conical it throws. I know the usual applies about measurements varying between individual moulds, alloys, yadda yadda. But I have a potential barrelmaker asking me for this information as he mostly makes round ball moulds.

    Thanks for anyone out there who can help.

  2. #2
    Moderator



    JonB_in_Glencoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    10,850
    I had a TC mold for a 36 cal maxi-ball and sold it to another member here.
    But I have some samples cast with it, with pure lead.
    133gr
    .361 base band
    .365 top band
    .610" long

    FYI, even though I have QLA barreled TC Seneca, making conicals easy to load, I found it was still more of a hassle loading them, then a PRB, and got better accuracy with PRB. That's why I sold the mold.

  3. #3
    Boolit Master pietro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,302
    .

    FWIW:

    As I don't like the terminal performance of Maxi-Ball's on game, and the Maxi-Hunter conical's that I prefer are not made in .36 cal, I use only PRB's in my .36 Seneca.

    The reason I don't care for MaxiBall's is that IME they don't expand in game (deer), just penciling through.

    Since my state mandates a .45 & up for deer; and a .40 or smaller for small game, I use only Maxi-Hunter conicals in my .45 Seneca & PRB's in the .36cal.






    .
    Experience is a wonderful thing - It lets you recognize a mistake, when you make it again.

  4. #4
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Whitefish, MT
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I had a TC mold for a 36 cal maxi-ball and sold it to another member here.
    But I have some samples cast with it, with pure lead.
    133gr
    .361 base band
    .365 top band
    .610" long

    FYI, even though I have QLA barreled TC Seneca, making conicals easy to load, I found it was still more of a hassle loading them, then a PRB, and got better accuracy with PRB. That's why I sold the mold.
    Thank you Jon; I will pass that information on to the potential barrelmaker who asked for it.

    I'm certainly not going to argue whether a ball or a conical are less of a hassle; I've just been slinging conicals since after my first week of owning a muzzlestuffer. I tried balls and I tried conicals for that first week or so, probably with a lot of ineptness involved in my testing. I got conicals to work firstest and bestest, and that was the end of my testing and experimenting with balls. It didn't hurt that the primary intended quarry were moose and elk along the river flats, so that big heavy .54 conical could have swayed my choices as well...

    Anyways, much appreciate you taking the time to do that for me.

  5. #5
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Whitefish, MT
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    FWIW:

    As I don't like the terminal performance of Maxi-Ball's on game, and the Maxi-Hunter conical's that I prefer are not made in .36 cal, I use only PRB's in my .36 Seneca.

    The reason I don't care for MaxiBall's is that IME they don't expand in game (deer), just penciling through.
    Thanks for the info. The biggest thing the .36 is going to be used on is the evil jackrabbits; mostly it will be gophers. Given that, I'm not too worried about terminal performance of the .36 conicals; whatever kind of hole they make should be sufficient.

    My scorecard with the Lyman conicals out of the current .54 caliber barrel is pretty limited: one moose, two elk (which was why I chose a .54 over a .50 or .45 in the first place), and a couple of incidental whitetails that interrupted the elk and moose hunts by popping up in view to tempt me. I don't remember whether I thought those conicals penciled through or not, but they were all pretty much "boom - flop" affairs where the victims don't go more than a few yards after the shot, if they went anywhere.

    Works for me so far at least.

  6. #6
    Moderator



    JonB_in_Glencoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    10,850
    Quote Originally Posted by MOC031 View Post
    Thank you Jon; I will pass that information on to the potential barrelmaker who asked for it.

    I'm certainly not going to argue whether a ball or a conical are less of a hassle; I've just been slinging conicals since after my first week of owning a muzzlestuffer. I tried balls and I tried conicals for that first week or so, probably with a lot of ineptness involved in my testing. I got conicals to work firstest and bestest, and that was the end of my testing and experimenting with balls. It didn't hurt that the primary intended quarry were moose and elk along the river flats, so that big heavy .54 conical could have swayed my choices as well...

    Anyways, much appreciate you taking the time to do that for me.
    I only shoot at paper.
    small paper with the 36
    and bigger paper with a 50 ...LOL

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check