MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-40 Krag Question

Boolit Buddy

I haven't slugged the bore on mine but it loves .311 caliber bullets.

Boolit Master
    I have 9 krag rifles and carbines from a 92 to a o1 model. I shoot 311299 sized to .309 in all of them they all shoot good some better then others. killed the biggest buck I ever got with a 99 carbine and that bullet with a load of 2400.

I use the same bullet sized to .311 in my enfields with the same charge of 2400.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    We have 7 Krags I remember and they range from .308 (1894), .309 (1894), .310-.312 (2 model 1898) and a .310 (1902) all military configuration. Then there are two "chopped" carbines. One at .316 (nice bore and shooter) and the other at .313.
    I size for each one .002 over groove. Shoot them with a 220 RN GC up to 2150 fps. or plain base up to 1800 all cast from WW. Neck sized brass which is segregated to that rifle / carbine.
    Have used numerous powders and it seems to me the cast diameter is the key. Slow powders at the higher FPS works best.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I also have not slugged my barrel but it shoots the 314299 sized .311" very well. When I got this rifle the barrel looked like the inside of a sewer pipe and would not hit the broad side of a barn from the inside. I found an original barrel on ebay that was shiny with lots of rifling left and re-barreled it myself and the first shots out of it measured about 3". I'm now working on loads. I love this rifle!

Boolit Master

My Krag with an original barrel is an old sporterized version with cut down barrel. Barrel looks like a sewer pipe and slugs at .310 although larger at muzzle due to cleaning rod wear. I haven't bench rested it in a long time but as an off hand, receiver sighted plinker, it shoots as well as I can with Lee 312-160-2R sized at .312".

Years back when I tried .308 jacketed, some were hitting sideways at 50 yd. Haven't tried since.
    Take a kid along

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    +1 on the Rem .310 180RN, I have a Krag with a sewer pipe looking bore, and can shoot egg sized groups with a moderate load of IMR 4064. To bad I only have a half a box of them left. If I ever find some Hornady .311 RN I'll give them a try also.

Pull some remington core lockt 303 jacketed bullets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12