RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Another ar thread...

Another ar thread...

Hi!

I'm loking forward to reload for a 16" barrel with 1/7" twist. I already have the NOE 72gr (311-314299 smaller clone). My powder choice would be IMR4198. Does someone have any tips to help me in this process. I want reliable function of the rifle and get a load to punch paper at 100y.

Thank you

I have better luck with lighter boolits but I hardly qualify as a rifle shooter.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm shooting out of a 16" 1/8 twist 5.56 chamber. I was working with a 62 grain plain base mold from Arsenal Molds, powder coated. Tried W748, CFE223, and IMR 4895. Tried cast bullet data, tried FMJ data and can only get 8" groups at 20 yards (CFE 223 gave best groupings at 3/4 full fmj loads). I took the cast bullets @ FMJ loads to .5 grain under max listed and had ZERO pressure signs, no leading, and only carbon in the gas system and carbon on the muzzle break. No key-holing, all pass throughs were nice and round. Only thing I noticed was brass being thrown fwd at about 2 o'clock vs. 5 o'clock. I'm on the fence about getting a PB gas check die from Pat Marlin to see if it would get things to tighten up before I invest in a new mold and need regular gas checks. For actual FMJ's I looked up load data picked a middle of the road weight and went to the range with it and it shoots MOA at 50 yards with an MOA red dot. All other reports I've read is people have good to great results with the Lee Bator mold. I want to stay in the 60 grain range though and I love the bullet profile I'm currently using. However it'll be 7 months before I can get back to any testing as I'm deployed.