Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good gas-checked 303 Brit boolit

Boolit Buddy

Looking for a good gas-checked 303 Brit boolit

I've been playing around with a sporter 303 Enfield that my grandfather gave me a long time ago. I haven't shot it much until recently, but I'd like to get a good load figured out for it, as it's a really handy little rifle and would make an ideal brush gun for deer.

I slugged the barrel, and it looks like the grooves are coming in at .313" so I'd like something that drops around .315" or .316". I'm not sure what weight would be ideal for the twist of these old military barrels, but I've been reading that they tend to like the 180 to 200-some weight range. Can anybody corroborate that?

I've found a few that look like good candidates, but I'm also open to any other suggestions.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1675

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=31-200J-D.png

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=31-200L-D.png

Not sure which one would make a good hunting boolit, but they look promising to my uneducated eye
    Last edited by asmith80; 11-09-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

NOE 316-213-01 if the barrel is 2 groove.

NOE 314-205 or Lyman 314299 if the barrel is a 5 groove. The Lee 312-185 can also give excellent accuracy in 5 groove barrels as with COWWs + 2% tin or #2 alloy they generally drop .313 - .314+ from the mould.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Super Moderator

I ordered this one from Tom at Accurate, I speced it to drop at .315 with my alloy, and sure enough it does. It's a good shooter, basically a 316299 with a flat point.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-200L-D.png

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    NOE 316-213-01 if the barrel is 2 groove.

NOE 314-205 or Lyman 314299 if the barrel is a 5 groove. The Lee 312-185 can also give excellent accuracy in 5 groove barrels as with COWWs + 2% tin or #2 alloy they generally drop .313 - .314+ from the mould.
    Is it as simple as looking down the barrel and counting grooves to figure out which one I have?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by asmith80 View Post
    Is it as simple as looking down the barrel and counting grooves to figure out which one I have?
    Yup, some two groove shoot very well.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Another good possibility is Accurate 31-215B
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    So it seems like 200-ish gr. is a good choice for weight for this caliber?

No trouble with the Lee 185 for me. Use it in a P14 that slugged .313. Copper checks and LLA lube. I haven't tried hot loads, a few tenths over starting load with IMR 4227 is accurate and deadly on deer.

Boolit Master
    around 200 grains should work very well in the Enfield. My 314299 drops at 196 and my Enfield seems to like it a lot. I use the 314 sized to 313-- but my bore slugs at .311. You'll want something a little larger-- as discussed above.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    I use the 314299 sized to .3135 fir my finn model 27 in 7.62x54r barrel slugs out at .3115 sp .002 over bore diameter. So that bullet when it comes out of the mold is .303 on the land riding portion of the bullet and .314 on the groove portion of the barrel If your barrel slugs out anything bigger than .314 then the NOE 316299 and you should be good. I have a Long Branch #4MKI* with a two groove barrel so I know I'm going to need a fatter bullet. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the info guys. I went with the Accurate 31-200L as it seems to be a copy of the 314299 with a flatter nose, which should be effective for deer. Once it comes in and I get some cast and loaded I'll post a range report

check out the NOE 311365, mine drops 311 normal and 195g and 313-314 and 202g when beagled,

Another option in a lighter weight is the inexpensive Lee 312-155 in the TL or regular lube flavor that's IF it drops big enough for your barrel one of mine is .314 the other is .312 . Yes they are lighter and shorter than the usual 200 gr bullets but I've always gotten them to shoot rather well in any 30-31 cals. I've tried out to 200 yds.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Little update for anyone who's interested. I tried a bunch of loads with the 31-200L and could not get the thing to group for love or money. Tried sizing to different diameters, bedding the action and a bunch of other little tricks but the thing just did not want to shoot.

Finally I sent it off to a gunsmith in New Mexico that has a good reputation working with Enfields, says the barrel is shot out but he can put a brand new production barrel on it and get it shooting great. Should be getting it back in a few weeks, and we'll see how it does

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by asmith80 View Post
    Little update for anyone who's interested. I tried a bunch of loads with the 31-200L and could not get the thing to group for love or money. Tried sizing to different diameters, bedding the action and a bunch of other little tricks but the thing just did not want to shoot.

Finally I sent it off to a gunsmith in New Mexico that has a good reputation working with Enfields, says the barrel is shot out but he can put a brand new production barrel on it and get it shooting great. Should be getting it back in a few weeks, and we'll see how it does
    I`m just thinking that that is costing a bunch of money to make a Mil Surp Lee Enfield shoot better. If there is a particular sentimental attachment to it then I might see the money outlay, otherwise The money could go elsewhere.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Normally I'd agree with you, but there is quite a bit of sentiment attached to this rifle. It's the one my grandfather taught me to shoot with, and that he carried into the woods on deer hunts. He hadn't done much with it in the years up to when he died, but for me it's a become something of a mission to get it shooting well again, if for no other reason than to be able to use it to teach my own kids how to shoot.

Banned

Agree, Tom will fix you up exactly with what you want
    Accurate all day, any day

I have a lee c312-185-1r and out of a mk4 #1 it produces 4” groups at 100 yards standing with my shaky self behind it be more accurate if it was clamped into a lead sled so I like it and lee endfields have enough twist to stabilize a large long bullets

Boolit Master
    I sold my .303s a long time ago, but the Lyman #314299 sized as large as would chamber (I think about .313" or .314") worked well.

Boolit Buddy
    lyman 314299 sized .314 is the way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast