Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: 2 More Hit the Ground

Boolit Master

2 More Hit the Ground

But not by me
    But I did have to skin and cut them up

Yesterday morning Dad shot a nice Basket 8 point out of the same blind I used for my doe
    Not sure of most of the details
    But when I got home from Deer hunting with my Lady
    It was hanging behind my house and a message on the house phone said "I just want the Back Straps , Dad"
    My ATV winch makes pulling them up easy

I took my Lady Deer hunting along the Maumee river where I have several places I can hunt
    The cameras were showing bucks out starting to chase does
    So I took the blind on the back area , not as many bucks working the area
    But the Large one I want was using the area ... He passed me 60 yards out and headed into a area to brushed up to hunt

My Lady decided to hunt a blind on a brush slope between a cut corn field and a standing corn field
    She said 5 min after she sat down , deer started moving around
    About 8:30 she decided to stop looking just for a HUGE Rack and shoot a decent buck
    She said 10 min later a doe went past the blind
    2 min later a Basket 9 point came by with his nose to the ground
    The shot was 15 Yards or less and it only made it 40 yards to the standing corn
    When I quit about 10:30 I turned on my cell phone and had a message she had a deer

I was able to drive the truck within 50 yards to take her & the deer to the check station

I have to say
    With her and Dad helping
    Skinning and boning out both deer went a lot faster
    We will grind most of the meat today for burger and sausage
    But 2 roasts will be turned into jerky in a week or 2

Now the freezer has meat , so I will pick my buck a lot slower

LOL Saturday is Duck season again ... another delay

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

I'd probably be happy as a clam if I never sat in a stand and just got venison in exchange for butchering.

Great story and sound like a great time had. Nothing like hunting with family. O the memories and stories to tell.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    I'd probably be happy as a clam if I never sat in a stand and just got venison in exchange for butchering.
    Not me. I enjoy the hunting. Wish I had the long firearms season some of you guys have. Our firearms season is both late and short

Boolit Master
    If I lived near you Silvercreek Farmer I'd gladly take you up on that .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    If I lived near you Silvercreek Farmer I'd gladly take you up on that .
    After a little more consideration, it'd probably cost a six pack for us to split while I was doing it! I do really enjoy the "deer camp" socialization, but I have been hunting solo this year because my hunting buddy has been tied up. Not nearly as much fun. Didn't get a deer last night, so I'm going to put up a lamb in a few minutes...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Not me. I enjoy the hunting. Wish I had the long firearms season some of you guys have. Our firearms season is both late and short
    Yep, two weeks of muzzloader (including in lines and scopes, so basically a modern rifle) and six weeks of rifle. I've got relatives that only get a week. The flip side is that everyone blocks it out and hunts hard for the short season. Here, they just try to work it in.

Banned

Unfortunately, seems like every weekend has something work related for me. I'd rather use a vintage rifle and cast, but can go out with a bow, I use a cross bow now. Socializing has nothing to do with it for me, in fact, the solitude is a big part of the appeal. I love being in a tree stand and just watching the woods. My primary stand tree is now out in the lake, normally it's 40-50 yards inland, but we had monsoons for the past few months that have the lake flooded so it'll change the movement patterns of the deer. Looks like this isn't going to be a good year for deer hunting for me, but I got one during our early season in October and can probably get another if I'm not picky.

Boolit Master
    I set up yesterday am with the intention of harvesting the first 2 that stepped out this season and being done with it . But while I was setting their thinking of processing them I decided one would be enough for the weakened then a little buck stepped out ........

Banned

I hunt public land and can't legally bring any kind of vehicle in. I have a honey hole tree stand that is a mile from where I can park and is up hill through nasty thick stuff in every direction except by water (gonna try the boat thing eventually). Two years ago, I shot two in one morning, never again. I had just turned 50 that year and it was a serious wake up call that I wasn't invincible anymore and wheeling a deer, let alone two, out on a cart was a very taxing thing. After that, I started thinking and planning the recovery process a lot more carefully before pulling the trigger. I killed a very big buck from that stand last year, but my oldest son was home this time who's still strong and tough like I used to be, LOL.

Yeah, one at a time for me from here on out.

Boolit Master
    I checked in 4 legs one evening at a way station HAHAHA .