Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recoil

Boolit Master
    I used to shoot a 500 a-square built on a pair of mauser actions, just for fun, as there are no elephants here in my neck of the woods. Now that i am older, my ruger 77/357 is the biggest caliber rifle I shoot.

Boolit Master

If you have a rifle or handgun you really like to shoot but the recoil is too stiff you might consider having a JP Rifles Recoil Eliminator fitted. It’s a gunsmith fit item but it makes a .300 Win Mag feel like a .243. I’ve known people that had them installed on a Contender .44 14” .44 barrel, a .22-250 and the aforementioned.300 WM. Why a .22-250? Prairie dog hunting, 400+ rounds/day, allowed him to be his own spotter.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Most handguns don't bother me. I had a .480 and shot 400 gr cast boolits from it. I had a 2x Leupold scope mounted on it and clay pigeons @. 100 measured yards was no problem offhand. As I was always doing something stupid I ended up trading it. I've had three Ruger .44 mags, two SBH and my current SRH. I'll probably end up keeping it. My first Encore pistol was a 30-06. I put a Burris 2 x7 on it. Trne about two years later I traded that barrel for a .22-250. I got rid of that fast and got the .454 barrel. Same Burris scope. I kept it until shortly after my late wife died and sold the whole kit and caboodle, brass, dies and all to a friend of mine. I should have kept the scope.

You will know when recoil gets too much for you. Being young and brazen does not equate to being smart. Recoil is like deafness. It will sneak up on you and one day you'll start to think that this isn't fun anymore. It was mentioned earlier that some people don't notice recoil when they are shooting at an animal. That is true for me, too. But a rifle that doesn't fit well will beat you half to death if you're not careful. Shooting should be an enjoyable pastime, not an endurance test.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned

Recoil is like deafness. It will sneak up on you and one day you'll start to think that this isn't fun anymore.
    WHAT??? can you type a bit louder please!

Boolit Master

For fun, my younger brother and I would take his lightweight, pistol gripped, 12 gauge, home defense shotgun and shoot 3" slugs through it. It hurt so bad in the wrist and elbow that one could only laugh in the pain and ask for another shell to shoot! That felt so good - when we QUIT! Won't be doing that ever again.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123