WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recoil

Boolit Bub

Recoil

I have a few guns that kick, one of my favorites is my 700 adl rebored and chambered to 35 whelen it is a plain jane gun right down to the plastic buttplate. I love it, so does my 13 year old son. He shoots it and laughs and asks for more ammo. He weighs about 90lbs.

If a boy can shoot this then maybe men shouldn't whine about recoil.

If you want to shoot it you can, if it scared you don't whine.

Boolit Bub
    250 gr factory Remington is what he shoots, i got a bunch but he is going through them.

Boolit Master

LOL He moves with the recoil more than you do
    So IMO you feel it more

But I would get a recoil pad fitted to the stock
    It makes the rifle feel like it has less recoil
    Also a decent recoil pad will not slip like a plastic butt plate

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

No thanks my friend. I draw the line at 30-06. I can shoot heavier just have no desire to. More power to you, however, as long as you are passing it along to the next generation, Good on you.

Boolit Grand Master

My son bought a Savage 110 in 300 Win Mag. No matter how I loaded it the pain outweighed the pleasure. It went down the road with the dies, brass, and bullets. Gritting your teeth doesn't help the aim.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

My 45/70 Marlin 1895 with 400 gr boolits pushed to 1800-1900fps is like standing behind a mule when he licks an electric fence!

I now load them to 1400 fps, and the deer don't know the difference, and I doubt if a buffalo or a grizzly bear would either!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    the more you anticipate it, the more you tense up, and the more recoil you feel. Loosen up, and rock with it....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

I have never been bothered much by recoil. I shoot up to 45-70 and always have a blast at the range. My mental state going in is....it won't kill me...it won't do any permanent damage. Its just the way I roll with it.

Now...pistol on the other hand...I have some arthritis starting...I'm scaling back my 44Mag loads to acceptable levels. Not that I can't handle the recoil...I just don't want to cause more permanent damage due to aging. My shoulder hasn't felt that visit from Arthr yet....so I'm good with long guns.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I was at my range a few weeks ago a Dad and Son were at the 100 yard rifle range kid looked like he was about 10 years old
    Dad was shooting a 91/30 kid asked if he could try it I'm thinking this kid just going to shoot one time nope kid shoot it 5 times
    so I asked the kid how his shoulder was he smiled and said it was just a little sore
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 3856imp View Post
    I have a few guns that kick, one of my favorites is my 700 adl rebored and chambered to 35 whelen it is a plain jane gun right down to the plastic buttplate. I love it, so does my 13 year old son. He shoots it and laughs and asks for more ammo. He weighs about 90lbs.

What Hickok said, except I would be down to subsonic with that one.
    I expect there would be whining about one of my 1,000 grain shotgun slugs.
    Yes, some small boys and petite women can take recoil beyond expectations.
    I have nothing to prove so I will whine and say, I am no recoil junky.
    Last edited by jmort; 11-09-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Boolit Master
    Get a LimbSaver and all will be a LOT better....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I think recoil is more of a mindset thing than anything.
    I shoot rifles up to 7mm Mag with no issues despite some pretty serious illnesses, surgeries, radiation and chemo treatments.

I don't own any rifles more powerful than 7mm Magnum, mostly because I can't imagine a North American game animal that a 7mm Magnum can't handle, although I have no expectation of hunting anything bigger than Pennsylvania black bears that can top 700lbs.

If you are recoil proof, take a 5 pound 12 gauge with a plastic buttplate and shoot a 25 rd group of 3" slugs and prove it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I am no recoil fan. I find full house 30-06 loads unpleasant to shoot at the range. so my shooting of such is limited. One of the reasons I was particularly eager to load cast is to produce loads for this rifle that are less punishing but still very accurate. I only really need full blast jacketed loads for elk hunting, so that is what I limit it to. Everything else I shoot is less punishing. I am probably never going to buy a rifle in a more punishing caliber, since I don't hunt anything that a .30-06 won't kill and recoil does not seem like my thing. If I buy a 45/70, trapdoor type loads are going to be on the menu.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

Heavy recoil was a lot more fun when I was younger, kind of a manly, tough guy thing. I’m older now, nothing to prove; it’s just not fun to get beat up anymore.

Right now I have a minor shoulder thing going on, some kind of rotator cuff sprain I think. I was out shooting the M1 Garand and K31 a week or two ago, neither of which has ever bothered me before, and my shoulder hurt for a couple days. I may have to lay off shooting anything with much kick for a while.

Boolit Master
    So far my limit is 45/70 heavy loads. Having both shoulders operated on I scale back on my loads for the 45/70 and 308. Both rifles are 'target" rifles and are heavier so recoil is reduced.

Boolit Master

everybody is different in how they tolerate recoil. seem some really big tough guys that cant handle it. heavy recoiling guns, handgun or rifle never really bothered me, but i disagree with the OP's premise.

Boolit Master

After a total Shoulder repair, I am VERY recoil sensitive, but I can still shoot my 30 cal. stuff alright. Factory ammo in 30-06 is a bit rough, but I reload and only bought a couple of boxes of factory for the brass.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 3856imp View Post

My first gun was a 20ga break-open single shot...I used it quite a bit, then I was 12 or 13, my dad bought me a 20ga pump action shotgun...the same day we first shot it, he also let me shoot his 12ga Rem 870, the same one he shot for years and years in a trap league, it was just about wore out. I loved the 870 and much like 3856imp"s Son, I laughed and asked for more shells. My shoulder was black and blue that night, but the 870 became mine and my Dad much preferred the 20ga pump, which I never even tried shooting, I inherited the 20ga pump when I was about 40 yrs old...and at that age, I learned why he liked it better than the 870.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Round count can make a difference, keep shooting the hard kicking stuff, say 50 rounds and check the group size and target, keep shooting and the flinch will come. It is easy to shoot a few rounds of the hard kicking stuff, recoil is cumulative. The real accurate long range shooters look for ways to reduce recoil so more rounds can be sent downrange ACCURATELY. The 6mm Creedmoor and David Tubb's 6XC are the result of people who understand how recoil affects precision shooting performance. Go to a prairie dog town and see how long shooting the little rats continues to be fun. I am not a fan of small calibers for elk or moose, I use lightweight 45-70 and 358 and know what recoil is, but getting beat-up for fun?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast