Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School Me On Colt Clones

Boolit Master

I'll 2nd the AWA clone. I bought one for my Daughter 20 odd years ago. It was beautiful out of the box. Smooth, it's the only single action I've ever owned that was SMOOTH right out of the box. All I ever did was change out the Hammer spring.
    We don't shoot Cowboy anymore, I'm not physically up to it, she doesn't have the time. But when we do go shooting, that .357 SA comes along.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    This thread has me totally bummed about the change in lock work from Uberti, but it makes me glad I've already got an old type 5 1/2" from Navy Arms in 32-20 and a 4 5/8' in 45 Colt from Taylor. Both of them were special edition models that were custom tuned by the gunsmiths of their respective distributors. Short of buying original Colts, I probably couldn't have done better for myself. I do kinda wish I'd picked up a 44-40, though.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I have a Flat Top Uberti as imported by Dixie Gun Works and it has the retracting firing pin. I've honestly gotten used to it. That said I found a couple of Uberti hammers on the SASS Wire and snatched them up. I've had the Flat Top apart and really think I can convert the trigger back to the old style. If and when I do I'll take pictures of how-to. I've heard the old style hammers are backordered, but haven't verified that. I saw a couple of original Colt hammers on ebay for about $80 that should work fine.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2EBB4A2C-E498-456F-8510-D6A6AC0C64A1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	230902
    And yes it is a four clicker.
    Evil Roy.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Buddy
    A while back I bought consecutive numbered USFA premium revolvers with case colors and ivory grips. They are very nice colt clone.. fit and finish.. excellent.

I used my Ruger New Vaqueros for CAS instead.. they’re built like tanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not sure if they are still available but the Great Western II’s are great guns. I must have put over 40k rounds through the pair I had. I did have them tuned.

I do not believe any stock SSA will be smooth out of the box. Even my Colts needed work. And the smoother they are, the longer they will last.
    Don Verna

The only Colt clone I own in a U.S. Ptd. F.A., short barrel in 45 Colt. It mirrors the early civilian Colts with the bullsye ejector tip, pinched frame sights, and screw held cylinder pins. These were assembled "under the blue dome" of the old Colt factory from Uberti parts. The case color was done by Doug Turnbull.

It is in all ways an outstanding handgun. It does have an early hammer block safety, but it does have four clicks. You can use it as a "five beans in the wheel" Colt, or load six and raise the hammer a smidge and the hammer block with be employed.

These are not common to find, but when found, are cheaper than Colt's or the later U.S.F.A. pistols made from all American parts.

I sent it back to the factory for fitting with a 45 ACP cylinder, which comes with .453 throats. I keep this cylinder in the pistol and load 452423 over 4.5/BE in 45 Cowboy Special brass. This load is very accurate, shoots to the sights and have plenty of thump when it hits the intended target.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails USFA.jpg   010.jpg  
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 11-25-2018 at 11:35 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Love it Char Gar

I have that mould from NOE can't wait to find one of these guns so I can try it out in some Colt brass.

Boolit Master
    Char-Gar, I use that bullet over 9 gr of unique as my all purpose load in 45 colt. Has a nice and big meplat. I order them cast from Matt’s Bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Char-Gar, I use that bullet over 9 gr of unique as my all purpose load in 45 colt. Has a nice and big meplat. I order them cast from Matt’s Bullets.
    I cast the bullet in the pic, but now order them from Matt's. Your 45 Colt load would be a good one, but these days I favor BE for economy.

The clone is my pic above is a clone in every way, including the .457 cylinder throats. I don't want to mess with that problem and that is why I use the 45 ACP cylinder with it's .453 cylinder throats. Instant solution to the large throat issue.

In my Ruger 45 Flatop (Lipsey's) I use the 45 Colt cylinder because it has .452 throats and tight charge holes. I use the same bullet, but over 6.5/Bullseye. Works for me! I have no use for "Ruger Only" loads, so I don't use them, but stay with standard velocity 45 Colt loads. These loads will do anything and kill anything or anybody in Texas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flatop 45.jpg  
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 11-25-2018 at 11:33 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12