Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Me On Colt Clones

Boolit Master

School Me On Colt Clones

Hi guys and gals.

I’m looking for some info on colt clones.
    I’m looking for a nice 45 colt revolver color case hardened and blued

I don’t want any fancy first pin safeties. Just a nice colt clone

Seems Uberti makes some with the firing pin safety but it appears the Taylor’s and Cimarron don’t have the safety. Can anyone confirm this?

I do not want a ruger or anything with adjustable sights.
    I like what the idea of the wider sights vs the older style colt sights.

Can someone help narrow down what model I’m looking for. I’m finding it hard to narrow it all down. Some companies list certain options and not others but I know they’re almost all coming from Uberti so they must have something to fit my bill.

Thanks guys!
    Also any pics of your favorite colt clone are welcome. It’s on my short list to get one of these.
    Shooting my buddy’s first gen Bisley last night didn’t help my obsession either.

Boolit Master

WOW,
    You opened a can of worms. UBERTI makes a Clone according to the specifications of each individual Importer.

As far as sights go the "new" style sights of a wide "square" blade front and the COLT 3rd Gen square rear sight have been the new "thing" for quite a few years. I can't get used to them. I grew up on the narrow tapered blade. If you're used to Adjustable sights or The fixed sights on a post 1920's double action revolver. Then the new style sights will suit you.

As far as hammer safeties go, I would call the Importer yourself and ASK if their in stock guns have them.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banner Sponsor

Here's my Cimmaron Bisley Target model in 45 Colt.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cimarron-01.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	230137
    I get it out a couple times a year, but it mostly sits in the safe as I like to load my Rugers a little on the warm side.
    Did I mention that I'm a real fan of the 45 Colt...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45colts.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	230138

Boolit Master

I'm amazed at the quality and beauty of my Cimarron 1873 Peacemaker Cavalry model...

Attachment 230142
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

I have 2 Ruger NEW Model Vaquero's, and love the feel and balance. Fixed sights, very accurate. They are both in 45 Colt, and I had to open up the cylinder throats, as they were tight. Seems to be a thing with Ruger, they just can't make 45 Colts with a .451"-.452" cylinder throat.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Man
    Depends if you want the 4 click of the Colt or not. If you do that will quickly narrow your options..

Boolit Master

Some years back, my pop picked up a 5.5" Cimarron Artillery Model, and they pretty much cloned the real deal - right down to the 1st Gen cylinder retention. They did a NICE job!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Man
    I recently, as in the past month, have talked directly to the gunsmith in the pistol shops at Taylor & Co, Cimmaron, and Pietta. Uberti is phasing out all "4 click" models, which stems from a law suit. Taylor has NONE and will not be getting any more. Cimmaron still has 4 click in the Evil Roy.. On the other hand, Poets says they will not change and continue to make the 4 click clones..

Boolit Man
    Oops.. Not "poets".. Dang auto correct.. Pietta..lol

Boolit Buddy
    Cimmaron imports the pistolero by Pietta. I've looked at both the 45 and 357 mag at Gander Outdoors.
    Looks very nice with the brass trigger guard and grip frame, Seems to be a very solid gun.

My latest acquisition is an 1873 clone in .357 Mag. made by Pietta. It has the original 1873 action, and it's fit, finish, and colored frame are bringing admiring comments from everyone who has examined it. I'll post a photo in the "My latest new gun" thread. If this gun is representative of what all Piettas are becoming, they've got my business.
    DG

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Since you asked about 45 Colt - I'll start with that one. I have a 7 1/2" Cattleman in 45 Colt - Uberti of course - blued, case hardened frame - a GREAT shooter and a beautiful revolver with a crisp action right out of the box. Mine is the traditional style - firing pin on the hammer - no cross safety, etc. - the "safety" on it is the cylinder pin which is a two position pin - pushed in to the grove closest to the head of the pin it is in "safety" - i.e. the end of it prevents the hammer from falling all the way. I never use it. I keep th cylinder pin in the second groove - carry with and empty cylinder. At some point, I'm going to shorten the pin so it will always be in the normal position of a cylinder pin and eliminate their "safety".

I also have -

uberti - '51 Navy
    uberti ' 357 Bisley - 4 3/4"
    uberti - '51 Navy Richards & Mason Conversion - 7 1/2" - 38 special
    uberti - 1847 Walker

All ore excellent "clones" and great shooting revolvers - well made - high quality fit and finish - and I have never had to do anything to them to "tune them up" like some folks do.

With the exception of the Walker (bought NIB form a member here) - I have ordered all of my revolvers from Uberti through a LGS I use in Michigan. Some will prefer Cimmaron, some Taylor - I have been very pleased with what I have received from UbertiUSA. When I have talked with the guy at th eLGS - which has been in business for probably 75 years pr sp - they told me that they have ordered handguns form UbertiUSA, Taylors and Cimmaron - and when they came through th shop, they could see very little if any difference in them.

All of mine are good shooters. I consigned my Ruger 357 New Vaquero a few months ago because I never shoot it any more - I much prefer my Uberti Bisley.

I have shot SA for over 50 years - first one I ever shot was an original 1851 Navy. I see/hear those that are used to shooting DA with adjustable sights, etc. and they don't like the "primitive sights" on a SAA. It's what yu make of it. If you practice and develop your load, and practice at different distances, you'll soon "learn" your revolver and know where it is going to shoot.

In my 45 Cattleman - I use the standard 454-190 Ideal mold for the traditional boolit - with Red Dot it shoots great - for me. YMMV The 45 Colt is a great cartridge! Hope you find one that you like as you'll really enjoy it! Good luck!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky Montana View Post
    . . . Uberti is phasing out all "4 click" models, which stems from a law suit. . .
    One of the most iconic & widely sold fighting handguns of all time, and they're phasing it out because someone Darwined themselves? Anybody else hating the current state of the world we inhabit?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Your best bet is to find a new old stock or used Uberti that won't have 5he new safety. It's not too difficult to spot the revolvers with the new retracting firing pin. When the hammer is fully lowered, the trigger should be sitting in the rear of the trigger guard opening-

With the new model with the safety, when the hammer is fully lowered the trigger will not be at the rear of the opening-

I bought a display Uberti Frisco awhile back and am immensely pleased with it. There a little spendy, but I still see them on Gunbroker without the safety.

I own 5 Uberti's and all of them are great shooters. I had one Pietta but just couldn't connect with it, probably just a single lemon.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Thanks guys!

Do the new hammer safety Uberti’s still have 4 clicks?

I really like the charcoal blue the basic CCH model and the frisco.
    More of a fan of the non medallion grips but I guess that a simple swap whichever way I go.

I got an email confirmation from Taylor’s today that they are all hammer safety models now.

I’m on the lookout for a Cimarron if possible.
    Thought it sounds like a pieta isn’t all that bad if need be

Anyone have side by side pics of the Uberti vs Pieta?

You might consider the 1875 or 1890 Uberti Remington clones also. I had a nickel plated 5-1/2" .45 Colt "Outlaw" 1875 that remains the most accurate.45 LC I've ever fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Thanks guys!

Do the new hammer safety Uberti’s still have 4 clicks?

I really like the charcoal blue the basic CCH model and the frisco.
    More of a fan of the non medallion grips but I guess that a simple swap whichever way I go.

I got an email confirmation from Taylor’s today that they are all hammer safety models now.

I’m on the lookout for a Cimarron if possible.
    Thought it sounds like a pieta isn’t all that bad if need be

Anyone have side by side pics of the Uberti vs Pieta?
    The safety hammers do not have the 4 clicks, only 3.

No side-by-side comparison, but here is a picture of the Pietta I sold.

Nice looking revolver and FWIW they are pretty much true to the dimensions of a Colt while Uberti's have slightly larger diameter cylinders and thicker chamber walls.

Check out Watson Precision Firearms on Armslist. They tell you if what they're selling are "4-clickers"-

http://www.armslist.com/posts/842939...uberti-model-0

Armslist really is a pretty good place to find exactly what you're looking for. Here's a really nice "4-clicker" at a good price that's being sold by a dealer (less chance of scam)-

http://www.armslist.com/posts/893587...evolver-w--box

35W
    Last edited by 35 Whelen; 11-10-2018 at 02:04 AM.
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

The Pietta's with the brass grip frame actually have an undersized grip frame. And are made that way to sell at a cheaper price. Put it side by side with a Pietta steel grip framed revolver, you can Feel the difference.
    You can't put a replacement set of COLT size grips on them.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

If you can locate an AWA SAA clone I'd grab it. In my opinion the American Western Arms clones were the finest clone ever built, and might even be better than the original Colt.
    I've owned an AWA with 4 3/4" barrel in .45 Colt for years, and it's got the slickest action of any SAA I've ever owned.
    I also have an earlier Uberti in .32-20 and it's a very nice gun, but not nearly as smooth or nice as the AWA.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    One of the most iconic & widely sold fighting handguns of all time, and they're phasing it out because someone Darwined themselves? Anybody else hating the current state of the world we inhabit?
    Don't get me started, Erik.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast