Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Put some rounds through the Super RedHawk today

Boolit Master

Put some rounds through the Super RedHawk today

For whatever reason, I haven't shot my Ruger SRH in quite a while. I had a hankerin' today, and fished it out of the safe.
    I had sent it out to get the forcing cone cut to 11° (next time, I do it myself), and took the scope off to send it to the 'smith. I had 82 rounds that I had loaded for it back in Sep '16 ( I know, I know...). This is a load it liked, my notes read "V.G.accuracy in SRH".

After shooting more than I wanted to get it on paper at 25 yards, I backed up to 50 yds. -

The load, in case you can't read my scratching -
    13.5gr Accurate #7, S&B LPP, Lee TL430-240-SWC, 45/45/10 lube. That's a 2x Nikon scope.

~1125 fps in the SRH, and it eats 'em like candy.

That group - the "flyer" is the trigger I yanked , and ruined a possible one-hole group. It's been longer than I wanted since I've fired 44 Mag, and I get tired too soon.
    I fired about 80 rounds today. Even with that mid-range load I could tell I was tired after about 50. I need to work back up to it, shooting is a diminishing skill.
    Last edited by Bookworm; 11-24-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Clap, clap clap, (applause) That's some swell shooting! I hope you kept the mold.

My first Ruger Redhawk was the hunter version and it shot very well, but sadly, I had to sell something to get something, so It went down the road. The one I have now is not as good.
    But it has done 3 inches/50 yds. a couple of time with a 429-421 over 17.5 grns. of 2400. Did the 11 degree forcing cone make much of a difference?
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I use the same mold & I have the 7-1/2 barrel SRH , w.out scope. ( Although I still have the box, scope rings, etc.) Got it in the mid 80s. IIRC paid a about $350 or so, used, "in the box" for it from Dales Gun Shop in Rochester,MN. I would have to go back in my records to see what was the actual cost. Never turned it over for another firearm though like I did some other revolvers... Just cuz' I always liked that rig...

I have been happy with it, &as well, the mold you are using. Glad to see others are doing well & getting doggone decent results as well with that boolit... ( I get tired of reading how Lee molds are so ****ty when they work for a lot of firearms "I" use.)

I use 2400, AA#9, mostly, and on occasion H110 powders for a change & for testing to see what happens. Pushing close to Max loads most of the time for each now after working up. Mostly 2400 & the #9 though. They "work" for "me". Never tried #7 yet. Maybe this coming year...

LPP usually when I load them, or sometimes I use Mag.LPP, dependent on what primers I have available to use at the time. Both work fine for what "I" do.. Never have had trouble with either one, btw, although some say not to use the Mag LPP. Have not had issue either way for me...

I do not usually save targets, so I have no pics to share, but if you are shooting as well as the pics you posted show, even on a rest, you are doing right fine, IMO, & should, (I would hope) be happy with the results after not shooting the SRH for some time...

I just use open sights & generally 50 yards is as far as I shoot. Never go into the longer ranges much. Mainly due to I did not have the places to shoot more than that...

It is cool when I read & hear about others pushing the envelope further when shooting their SRHs. Maybe someday for me....

"Practice makes perfect" though, right?

Post up in a couple weeks after shooting it on a more regular schedule & I bet things improve even if you do not change a thing in regard to load... Looking good so far anyway.

G"Luck! & thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by JBinMN; 11-24-2018 at 09:57 PM. Reason: made a correction on bbl length.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Big fan of the Ruger DA’s. Bigger fan of the RH and SRH’s!

Have a 44mag. RH SS integral notches in the barrel 7.5” long got it used in 1997. Trigger job and Uncle Mikes synthetic grips (no longer in production sadly). It has a good set of cylinder throats already.

I had a SRH 9.5” also in 44 Mag but I traded it to get another SRH, a 7.5” in 480 Ruger.

With my 44 Mag RH I also use the Lee TL 240 lubed with Alox. But I use it as a plinker.

For more serious target work or critter issues I trend towards the RCBS 250 K sized .430”. For the most serious issues I step up to the Lee 310 gr. GC.

VIVA big bore DA’s!

Three44s

Boolit Master
    I wish I could still shoot the heavier pistols. Older and many punishing rounds from previous guns have meant that my elbow/wrist are not up to the task anymore.

Great pistol and good shooting.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the compliments regarding the shooting. Believe me, it's mostly the revolver. I'm not that good a shot.

Did the 11° forcing cone cut help ? Well, I think it did.

Here's a pic of the very first 5 shots I fired through the revolver, before the forcing cone work.
    Note : it's the same load, but fired at 25 yards.

The group at 50 yds after the cut is better, except for me yanking the trigger. I think it was worth it.

The FC was rough from the factory, and very short. I don't know to what angle the factory cuts these, but it's much steeper than 11°.
    Last edited by Bookworm; 11-26-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Boolit Master

9.5" SRH Rocks.
    Looking good at 50 yards.
    Depending on your use, you may want to investigate the 310 grainer with some H110 behind it for 1100 fps or so.
    Best 50 yard group out of mine with that combo.

Yours may be like mine, one chamber is ALWAYS out from the group with an precise shooting load.
    IF I can not discern that there is one out of the group, then it is not the best that boolit/powder can do or is not the best combo for my gun.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 11-27-2018 at 06:34 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Bought a Redhawk some years back and after getting a set of Pachmayer deaccelerator grips which elimanated the severe bruising of my finger had a lot of fun shooting it. Would sit down with a MTM caseguard box of 100 reloads and happily bang away. I don't hunt anymore and since I went on a 44 special binge shortly after getting the Redhawk have not shot it in years. I started out with a S&W 624 6.5" barrel, 24-3 3" barrel and a 24-3 with 4" barrel. No more boom with the old girl. The three 44 specials are fun to shoot and for sure don't beat you up. With the milder loads cases last longer, gun lasts longer and your hands and joints last longer. Frank