Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6mm-06

Banned

6mm-06

IS forming cases for this as easy as just sizing them down of would it require neck reaming or turning? Seems like running cases through a .270 and then a .25-06 sizer first would make the process easier and better.

Boolit Master

The best way to make 6/06 brass is simply run a 25/06 case into a 6/06 die, check it for OAL and you are done! That's how I did mine. You are only reducing the bullet diameter by .014!

I don't have one nor know anyone that does, but I'd think the most practical approach would be start with .25-06 brass. It would seem that would prevent getting too thick of neck walls without turning or reaming.

FWIW...
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Houndog, what kind of velocity are you getting out of the 6/06? Barrel twist?
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy
    following with interest

Boolit Buddy
    I just shove a 25-06 into my 6-06 die. Works great. Great cartridge. Picked up Rem 700 custom built by great gunsmith from a LGS for next to nothing. Told him I'd give asking price if he'd throw in a box of factory ammo. Waited til dust covered the gun and offered again. SOLD. One of my most accurate rifles.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Banned

Thinking about getting one of these. I haven't shot it in a while, but have been a fan of the 6mm Remington most of my life. Is load data for the 6mm-06 available? I have manuals with data for the 6mm-.284 Winchester, is that pretty close?

Boolit Buddy
    I used data from 240 weatherby to start

6 mm-06 is the affordable .240 Weatherby equivalent. If I wasn't a 25-06 nut, I'd want one bad.

Banned

Is there a source of dies for this which won't break the bank? The shoulder angle is supposed to be 30 degrees, so not sure I could make a set of .243 or 6mm dies work.

I'm thinking you can neck size with .243 dies; you will need a decapping die first because of the length difference. The shoulder angle of the .243 and 25-06 is very similar; is the 6mm-06 different?

Boolit Master

I started my .25-06 Experience with one box of Factory ammo. By the time I bought Rifle, Scope/mounts & dies. I had enough for one box of ammo.
    I was lucky that I'd been hoarding 2lbs of SIERRA 117gr SPBT rejects for about a year.

Luckily I "filched" a 100 .30-06 cases from my DAD, and a partial box of Winchester .25cal 75gr HP's.

It was simple to run the ought 6 brass into a .270Win sizer first. Then the .25-06 size die. Didn't lose a single case. Shot them 4-5 times before I got ahold of the correct factory brass.

I went to the range that weekend with 100rds of handloads & that one box of REM factory 120 PSP Core-Lokt's. Didn't lose a single case.
    Been shooting that Rifle ever since. Use the correct factory brass these days. And still shooting SIERRA'S 117gr SPBT's. But Sierra bullets is to far away now to get their rejects by the lb.

I've never got around to casting/shooting anything smaller then 7mm.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    CH dies are the least expensive but always out of stock. I caught RCBS on sale at Midway for close to 50% off. My first ammo was 25-05 necked down with a 243 neck size die and shot beautifully.

Walks, I go directly from 30to25 ought six with no losses. Layne Simpson wrote that I could so I did.That's the way it was designed to work, IME he nailed it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    Houndog, what kind of velocity are you getting out of the 6/06? Barrel twist?
    Sorry for not checking this thread sooner! I have shot mine as fast as 3600fs with 100 gr bullets, but that's with far hotter loads than a man should use. As far as twist rate, I like a 1-10 for all around use and did have a barrel with 1-12 that did well, but you have to watch bullet length that slow. Barrel length needs to be at least 26" and if you can get more it's better. The 6/06 has basicly the same case capacity as the 240 Weatherby, so use that data for starters. The main reason to choose the 6/06 over the 25/06 is bullet quality. Sierra matchkings or Berger bullets worked best for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Is the 6mm-06 a standard, commercially produced cartridge or is its wildcat round?

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Is the 6mm-06 a standard, commercially produced cartridge or is its wildcat round?
    It's a wildcat, but the 240 Weatherby is basically the same thing with a belt and the double radius shoulder.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Thanks for the info Noblade. That means at least a custom barrel or maybe bore out a 6mm rem if it can take it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shell70634 View Post
    CH dies are the least expensive but always out of stock. I caught RCBS on sale at Midway for close to 50% off. My first ammo was 25-05 necked down with a 243 neck size die and shot beautifully.
    What shoulder angle was your 6mm-06? Was the .243 close enough to at least fireform cases?

Used .270 brass in mine and a .243 neck size die.
    Had a 26" barrel on a Ruger M77.
    Photon torpedo.
    My chamber was a little oversized at the base. Just neck sized and yeehah.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast