Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Accurate .41 Magnum Load

Boolit Mold

Accurate .41 Magnum Load

My standard goto for my S&W Model 57 with Lee 175 LSWC was 7.3 Unique. That was after varying the charge over a range. When Unique was unavailable to me a few years ago, I successfully switched to 6.5 Bullseye and got equivalent performance.

I recently bought a quantity of Berry's plated 210 FP and have had lousy results with either 8.5 and 9.0 grains of Unique.

Looking for suggestions....Do I need to go higher or lower? Switch to Bullseye, and if so what's a good starting point.? Those are the only powders I care to inventory.

TIA for any help...

Never used plated boolets in my .41's, but I have had good results with 8.0 grains of Unique with Lyman 41031 and 410610 with both lube and powder coated.

That should have been Lyman 41032. That is in a S&W 57 and a old model Blackhawk.

Boolit Master

I just found two good light loads for my 41 now I'm using RCBS 210 gr boolits but give them a try 5gr of Win 231 and 7.2 gr of Unique
    With the Unique load today I was shooting half-dollar size groups at 13 yards
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I have a Model 57 w/ the 8" barrel....almost any load that I shoot in it is very accurate. The .41 Magnum is an amazing caliber in my book because of its' inherit accuracy. I primarily shoot cast bullets in the 200~210 grain weight at 1,000 FPS using HP-38, Bullseye, Titewad, Promo, or W-231 powders. I have found it makes little difference which one that I choose.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the comments. I just checked my bullets and found they are 0.408. I suspect that's the problem. More work to do on my end.

I have a 4" M57 that loves 6.2 gr Unique with a Bear Creek moly coated 210 gr .411 SWC bullet. I shoot DA standing only and fired this 10 shot group at 15 yards. Very pleasant to shoot and accurate with my 70 year old eyes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	210 Bear Creek.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	230290

If you want to use plated bullets, try X-Treme plated bullets, They are double striked and I have found them to be more accurate over the Berry's bullets. I have some X-Treme plated 210 gr. flat points and they are a full .410 in size. They are also rated to a full 1500 fps. Get on their email list and several times a year they have price reductions and sometimes free shipping.

I think the issue with plated is always the crimp. No crimp groove, roll crimp into the plating, good chance it cuts it & the plating spins off. You can check for yourself shooting into a paper target at about 8-10ft. If you find little shrapnel marks in the paper, that is exactly what is happening.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol