Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Cast NOE 680-500-HB CE1

Boolit Master

First Cast NOE 680-500-HB CE1

The NOE 680-500-HB CE1 arrived yesterday afternoon. As soon as my morning chores where complete (kind of) I jumped right into casting slugs. I'm simple and just follow Al's instructions to the letter. I lubed the sprue plate, block and hollow base pins with NRA 50/50 stick wax (just a touch each). I smoked everything well with a Bic lighter.

Using a Lee pot, the mould dropped usable slugs immediately. Slugs are big, and they can get the mold warm. No problem, placing the closed blocks on a damp cloth for a few seconds releases the heat immediately. The slug on the right was hot but not sticking; I didn't have any of them stick.

I did not need to pop the mould to release the slugs. My gloved hand could cut the sprue without effort. Once open, rotating the mould blocks clockwise from your view causes the hollow base pins to slide out, and the heavy slugs immediately depart the pins. Be sure you have the blocks positioned where you want the slugs to land.

I have two column wads that I wanted to use out of many on hand. They both fit the height of the slug well, but the thin petals on Clay Buster SW250 slug wad are too thin for a tight fit.

It looks like the Federal 12S3 is perfect with my Marlin 512.

I'm going a different route with the alloy than most. So far the best 100-yards groups have come with Lightfield factory ammo and their super hard lead slug. 1.2XX MOA at 100-yards consistantly. I cast these with the same alloy that I use for my hunting bullets, a 60/40 linotype/wheel weight mix and then water quenched them. They are 21 BHN as the sit now and will be 29 in 48 hours. I've never had a rifle bullet with this allpy mix fail and, and I doubt this projectile will either.

Diameter as cast was .682" and the weight with the 60/40 alloy is 490-grains.
    Michael

Boolit Grand Master

If you are inclined to use the Claybuster wads a wrap or two of appropriate paper thickness will fix that fit. I intentionally size my Lee slugs down to remove the extreme taper (doesn't suit Winchester wads anyway) then paper patch back up to good fit to bore... this being for smoothbore but it should work as well for rifled gun. Accuracy is much improved.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Before dark, I went out and shot three of them with 25.5-grains of International and the Federal 12S3 wad. The wads collapsed into the tail feathers but despite that, at 50-yards they shot a 3" group. The hollow bases are now all filled with glue; I bumped the load up to 26-grains to help the hull fill and the crimp sealed up nice and tight.

I'm dropping charges with the Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure and crimping the hull on the Load-All II.

The crimp is being started by feel, but I missed it a bit mid-run and went too deep on the hull by itself.

Pondered that for a bit and placed a BPI X12X Gas Seal in the priming well and it stops the press down stroke just perfect for the 3" hull crimp fold!

Will see how these do tomorrow.
    Michael

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    If you are inclined to use the Claybuster wads a wrap or two of appropriate paper thickness will fix that fit. I intentionally size my Lee slugs down to remove the extreme taper (doesn't suit Winchester wads anyway) then paper patch back up to good fit to bore... this being for smoothbore but it should work as well for rifled gun. Accuracy is much improved.
    If the accuracy is there, I'd like to stick with the 12S3. The strut has always looked good enough to reuse where the strut of the CB250-SW has always been spent.

When I run low on the 12S3, I will switch to the ClayBuster CB2118-12.
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Does the mold come with an additional set of pins so you can change to solid base ?
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

^^^^yes^^^^

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Does the mold come with an additional set of pins so you can change to solid base ?
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    ^^^^yes^^^^
    It would be ashame not to give solids a try as well!
    Michael

If I get my Rifled barrel for my A5 they will get tested.

But I have an idea about the wads....

Mike, you are complaining that the bases of the wads collapse? Why not fill the wad's "strut area" with hot glue? That would essentially make them solid from the gas seal/base of the wad all the way to the base of the shot cup.

I think wrapping them with a piece of notebook paper or clear tape with a couple of holes for fill and vent might just work.

After what I saw shooting Slugs and Buckshot at Front Sight the wads go thru the targets right along with the shot out to 35 yards.

Filled with hot glue they'd probably be lethal as well.

I also found this load data for these slugs. I guess it originally came form a Lyman Manual.

https://www.shootersforum.com/shotgu...abot-slug.html

I'm waiting for the lead to melt so I can go out and cast some more slugs.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-09-2018 at 07:44 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Grand Master

I'd be careful playing with the cushion leg! No pressure testing equipment here but having looked through about every bit of load info I could find and having bought BPI's short hull loading info, it appears that removing a cushion leg or changing from soft cushion leg to solid or much stiffer leg can increase pressures. My feeling is that if the recipe is designed for a cushion leg and that give isn't there at ignition then it is similar to reducing case volume and pressure jumps considerably. From what I have looked at this seems to be more of an issue with fast powders than slow powders... and it is just my opinion based on cross referencing load data. It would be nice to get some pressure testing done to see if it is something to be wary of.

I can say that some of my slug loads that replaced a wad column with slug and no or less cushion leg but equal payload resulted in sticky extraction. I only use slow powder like Blue Dot now for more or less solid wad columns.

FWIW

Longbow

Thanks for the posts about the new Noe mould. Al shipped mine today. I'm looking forward to trying this in both my NEF rifled barrel and a smooth bore Savage=Stevens. Gp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    It would be ashame not to give solids a try as well!
    I’m thinking I just might have to get a mold so I can try the solid base .

Boolit Master

I’m thinking I just might have to get a mold so I can try the solid base .
    I spoke with Al today. On Monday, he started with 25 of each, two and four cavity, and was down to five total.
    Michael

Yeah I was pretty sure after these threads it would be pretty popular. Mihec never responded to my request and the Lyman moulds are only 1 cav. Al took a chance and will likely have a steady following on this one.

I'm a big airgun shooter and this slug is basically a 500 gr Air Gun Pellet. Only this one at 1280 fps has a TKO of 62! The Blue Dot loads listed in the Lyman Load Data from above, have this slug at 1500 fps. which yields a TKO of 84 ! That should be good enough for just about anything you'd run into ? I'm still dreaming of the Driven Boar Hunts in Croatia. The .177 cal airgun pellet has a TKO of .12! Good enough for Neco Wafers at 10 meters!

I managed to bang out 95 of them today and loaded 25 in AA hulls, will shoot them soon, maybe tomorrow. I used the Blue Clay Buster Slug Wads and 23 gr of Unique, Win. primers.

If you wipe these slugs with a Blue Paper Shop Towel they polish up real nice.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-13-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Boolit Master

My company has left so I hope to shoot them today. One sample string with the hot glue base and another with the Plastic Wood filled base.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    My company has left so I hope to shoot them today. One sample string with the hot glue base and another with the Plastic Wood filled base.
    Must have been a rough visit! One of those big slugs is the last thing I'd want to be shot with. LOL Gp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Must have been a rough visit! One of those big slugs is the last thing I'd want to be shot with. LOL Gp
    Yeah, I worded that just right! Na... it was a good visit!
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Let me first say I don't "need" one of these !

However …………………………………………….. ,

I just ordered a 4 cavity LOL's !

USMC 77, USRA 79

Let me first say I don't "need" one of these !

However …………………………………………….. ,

I just ordered a 4 cavity LOL's !
    I do believe there could be a 12 step program for this...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    I do believe there could be a 12 step program for this...
    The one “possible” saving grace is that I now have versions of the Lyman sabot slug from various sources for the 10 , 12 , 16 and 20 gauges . I have a rather nice Browning Superposed 28 gauge skeet gun of 1970 vintage but I just don’t think I wanna try slugs in it , however if I ever get a Parker VH/VHE 28 gauge I just might try some 28 gauge slugs . This season I’ve got my Parker GH 16 gauge ready to go with the Lyman sabot style slugs and next in line is my little Parker VHE 20 gauge using an actual Lyman Sabot slug . Now of course in my smoothbores I hold shots to 35 or so yards .

6pt: If that B 25 is Fixed Skeet Choke it will probably be just fine as long as your payloads don't fit super tight.. Skeet Choke is generally only a .005 restriction over Cylinder Bore.

Plus that at 35 or less the accuracy can't suffer enough to make it ineffective.

Randy

Randy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast