Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Case Trimmer Lessons Learned

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the Wilson trimmer!

I do my heavy trims on a Lyman universal and the final pass on the Wilson on over length bottle necked rounds. I bit the bullet several years ago and bought a carbide cutter for the Lyman trimmer.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    You might tighten the case on the wrong step but you would not be paying attention. Most of the steps are far enough apart that you can't get the collet to grab the case head with the wrong step.
    The benefit of the Forster collets is that you can trim almost all cases with only 3 collets. Did you ever price 50 Wilson case holders?
    There are many calibers that I shoot for which Wilson makes no holder.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The Forster collets are multicartridge and you can tighten down the collet to early. I’ve done this to often and ruined cases. Happened w/ one particular cartridge so much that I had them make a custom collet. No more issues now.

I own three Forsters and they’re a versatile tool but they have quirks like any tool. You will get repeatable results if your technique is consistent.

As far as trimming straight wall cases. I will simply say if the cartridge requires a roll crimp you will see a benefit by trimming them to a consistent length. This is visible on target and over the chrono.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Case Trimmer Lessons Learned

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    You might tighten the case on the wrong step but you would not be paying attention. Most of the steps are far enough apart that you can't get the collet to grab the case head with the wrong step.
    It is possible which is why I pointed it out. It happened mostly w/ 308 brass. Which is one of the most common cartridges.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 11-10-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Boolit Master
    I find the Wilson trimmer to give the most consistent length and the most square mouths of my trimmers. If I don’t have or can not get a holder for a particular cartridge from Wilson I settle for my Lyman universal trimmer and that is that.

I also have the Forester trimmer but I primarily outside neck turn with it and the RCBS trimmer that uses collets. I bought that one off the net used because I was intent on setting up their one pass chamfer, debur and trim head which I have not around to yet.

I have been so happy with the consistency of the Wilson system I have been concentrating on it.

As far as acquiring the holders, I have thus far been relying on estate pick ups so far. I think I need to buy or find only two or three more holders at this point.

The other point is that one can prioritize which holders one buys and start with your most accurate cartridges. I am more intent on having holders for my “minute of fly” varmint guns for instance. Many other holders have filtered in and they are saved even if I don’t shoot that round yet. One just never knows when you are a gun crank!

I have not gotten into my handgun rounds with the Wilson yet as I have not felt a bit of mouth variation is as critical there ....the Lyman universal carries the ball there.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 11-10-2018 at 09:10 AM.

Boolit Master

WFT is the trimmer I use and it's very accurate and quick.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    It is possible which is why I pointed it out. It happened mostly w/ 308 brass. Which is one of the most common cartridges.
    You can use a strip of wood (Popsicle stick) to press against the pilot tip and the cartridge case neck. You place the case in the opened Forster collet and press the pilot toward the case neck to seat it fully in the collet. You then tighten the collet, remove the stick, and trim. IMHO the Lee pilot on Lee's Universal chuck is so much faster and you don't have to measure anything to ensure the correct cutting length. While the case is in the chuck, you can also chamfer & polish it as well.

Boolit Grand Master

I modified a lee to be adjustable for length. Drill and tap a 8 32 hole thru the 1/4" hex and base. make or obtain 2 8x32 flat point set screws. run in to base flat point up One is the stop for the pin the other locks it in place. You can now adjust the stop porting on the chuck base to cut shorter with out modifying the pin. You can cut a little longer but you need to "open" the case holder more to get cases over the set screw setting proud. #8 screw is around .160 dia so it will fit in primer pockets also. A little rough to adjust but can be handy if you need it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12