Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMR 4227 in .243 - unexpected high velocity

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Shoot five rounds with the powder positioned in the rear of the case and five with the powder in the front of the case and see how position sensitve it is. I think you will see the powder is very position sensitive. If it is I would do somerhing different regardless.
    No need to use a powder like that unless you cant do any better.

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.
    44mag, since we're on this subject were you referring to 2400 maybe being position sensitive or 4227? Just wondering because I'm trying to work up some 308's with IMR 4227. Is there some sort of reference that reflects powders sensitivity?
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    44mag, since we're on this subject were you referring to 2400 maybe being position sensitive or 4227? Just wondering because I'm trying to work up some 308's with IMR 4227. Is there some sort of reference that reflects powders sensitivity?
    Most powders are including 2400 and 4227. Try the experiment I mentioned. It can be an eye opener. Even fast pistol powders such as Bullseye can be in big pistol cases.
    In rifle cases I would never use a powder that sloshed around much.

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Most powders are including 2400 and 4227. Try the experiment I mentioned. It can be an eye opener. Even fast pistol powders such as Bullseye can be in big pistol cases.
    In rifle cases I would never use a powder that sloshed around much.

No I'm totally with you. Another reason I asked was because, (and not to complicate things), I was debating on using a filler. If I establish a halfway decent load I don't think I'd be conscious during a hunt on whether I remembered to tip rifle back or forward but yes, I understand what you're saying. Most of the volumes in my other rifle cal's generally are 60% or more and that's another thing I need to be conscious of is powder volume-all powders are different. Thanks for your advice.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    While I have never used a filler in a bottleneck case since ive never used a powder charge that light I have in straight walled cases such as the 45/70. This with A2400 amd. 515 grain bullet . And the 458 win Mag using A2400. It worked great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12