Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 22 mag

22 mag

Looking at getting a 22 mag bolt gun. Leaning towards a Ruger all Weather ... when i can find a good one at a good price.

Any others that i should keep in mind?

Uses will include;

... target shooting.
    ... small game hunting.
    ... predator hunting.
    ... general plinking.
    ... busting cans and clay pidgons as far as i can see.

Want as accurate a rifle as i can get and still a fairly lite gun for packing around. Between 6 and 8 pounds preferably as close to 6 pounds as can be.

What say yee? Experience, opinions, suggestions?

Mossberg 640K Chuckster

There's several Mossberg Chuckster 640 K, 640 KA and 640 KD models that have a 5 shot box magazine, about a 20-24 inch barrel, and which are semi-target .22 magnum bolt action models that are very desirable older rifles.
    They were primarily made during the 1960's, with minor differences regarding details to their walnut stocks, with a white line butt plate spacer and grip cap, with or without checkering, either a gold or standard color trigger, or with a plastic finger pistol grip insert, and a grooved receiver.
    They were also made under the generic New Haven brand name.
    They're well known for deceptively good accuracy as some of the older Mossberg rimfires have developed a cult like following which helped them to become classics.
    What's interesting about them is that they can sit in a closet for a generation and hardly get fired, so they can be found in excellent condition, or with some blemishes and patina, yet with excellent bores and accuracy.
    They shoot any of the standard 40 grain FMJ and HP ammo brands pretty much whereever they are aimed easily out to 100 yards, generally in a baseball sized or smaller group depending on the quality of the scope and rifle rest.
    They pretty much have a standard diameter barrel, but it's just a super reliable no frills type of gun with very good accuracy, and that's why they're considered to be semi-target grade .22 WMR's.
    People don't often like to sell them so their prices have increased along with their popularity, probably in the $250 - $350 range depending on condition and where they're found for sale.
    Last edited by arcticap; 11-08-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    CZ 455.

CZ sells a Conversion kit to make it a switch barrel to 22 LR if /when you find 22 MAG a bit too expensive for Sunday afternoon plinking sessions. I didn't think it would work very well since the rim diameters are different but an acquaintance has one and typical of CZ, functions flawlessly.

Also typical of CZ, VERY accurate in both calibers.

Perhaps a bit more than you might want to spend but ultimately buying the gun is the cheap part.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

I had a Marlin 783 back that I got used in the mid 80s. Gun was a tack driver with several types of ammo.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

I like Ruger, but I would choose CZ455 as they are known for great accuracy, though only the American model can be had in SS.

Boolit Master
    I love my ruger all weather. 1/2" group at 100 yes first time out. Put a Green Mountain 17HMR barrel on it with similar results.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Take a look at a Ruger American .22 WMR. Available in stainless/synthetic. 5.3 lbs.

CZ 455 FS in .22 Mag. and never look back.

Boolit Bub
    Ruger American and CZ 455 are good choices based on my experience. I also like Marlins 783’s. Savage 93’s also can be good shooters. I think ammo consistency across all manufactures limits the 22 wmr accuracy potential. Great round though for hunting and plinking.

It's hard to beat the CZ and Ruger American.
    But I just searched to see the Mossberg Chuckster selection on Gunbroker and there's some deals to be found on them.
    One has a 24 inch barrel and is only up to $105 with 10 days left.

Another is at $210 with a scope and 2 days left.

There are others that are more expensive personal rifles.
    And you'll notice differences with the shape of the bolt handles and the amount of walnut stock embellishment.
    But if you can win an auction on one, it could be a steal for the price.
    Not sure but I think that these .22 magnum Mossbergs may benefit from having a significantly longer 24" barrel which most do.

Gunbroker search results for the Mossberg Chuckster:--->>> https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...rg%20chuckster

There's also one on GunAuction:--->>> https://www.gunauction.com/shop/mossberg/chuckster

GunsAmerica:--->>> https://www.gunsamerica.com/95472348...-EXCELLENT.htm
    Last edited by arcticap; 11-08-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Boolit Master

I'm not really fond of the ruger 2 piece bolt which causes accurracy issues. Some are good while the other 75% are ehhh. Look at a different action design with a good track history. Light weight guns are a niche, a majority of my meat guns are 9.5 lbs plus. It is easier to drop 10-20 off my waist that a 1-2 lbs off a 375, 416 or 458.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've owned Rugers offering and currently own a CZ in .22LR while waiting patiently ( or not ) for CZ to offer the 455 in a left hand version . That's when my dollar bills will hit the counter top at the gun store .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    I had a Marlin 783 back that I got used in the mid 80s. Gun was a tack driver with several types of ammo.

CD
    Same here. Best .22 Mag I've shot accuracy wise. In 2004 an elderly neighbor brough over a Marlin .17 HMR for me to sight in. I shot his entire 50 rd box because it was so accurate. Somewhere around here I have the .40" 5 shot group that I showed him. No disrespect to the .22 WMR, but it ain't doing that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the CZ 455 varmint.

Thanks all. Sounds like my nickel collection should go towards the CZ 455. Sounds like my cup of tea. Thanks for the advice.

Does the CZ have a one piece bolt or two piece like the ruger?

Here's a beauty of a .22 WMR that only costs $1,221.

Hint, it's an Anschutz:--->>> http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...ns&item=013574

Its adjustable 1200 gram trigger pull weight equals 2.64 lbs.
    Last edited by arcticap; 11-10-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Boolit Master
    I am not sure what you mean on a one piece bolt, Mine has a ton of pieces.

My trigger in mine was absolute ****. I tested a 22 mag at the store that had an okay trigger. I thought about it a lot between getting the 22 mag with the better trigger and buying a 17 barrel, or buying the 17 and getting a better trigger. I went with the 17 and installed a Timney trigger. Mine breaks at 1-3/4 pounds and not a trace of creep. It is a thing of beauty.

I also went with a BKL mount. I have it on the gun in my first picture. That is a well thought out and an awesome mount.

I have colt 22 mag bolt action single shot that is a perfect woodchuck gun and will work for lots more as well. At about $12 per 50 rounds, that comes to I believe .24 per shot. I have enough 22 mag purchased back when it was $5 ea for colt saa revolvers with 22 mag cylinders that I hardly use. I find myself shooting a 223 bolt rifle ( colt/sako) with with a gas check lead bullet at hornet velocities. I could load any velocity and bullet combo I like from 22 quiet to full 223. I am maybe shooting this at .08 per shot. A 223 bolt gun with an action sized for 223, is a sweet shooting rifle. just my .02.

No flies on a CZ 455 FS .22 WMRF first five shots after bore sighting Leupold 2X7 VXII, shoots the new Winchester Sub Sonic for .22 Mag. just as well 6" lower @ 100 yds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0029.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I have had 5-6 Marlin 22 mags, one from back in the early 70's shot really well. The last two I owned had barrels that were loose in the receiver with expected results. The most accurate one I ever owned was a Savage over-under.

If I didn't reload I would not be without a 22 mag but I would find a good one. I consider it a very efficient and useful round.