RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Impulse Buy!

six silk bags–each filled with 110 pounds of propellant. 2,700-pound projectiles 20.55 nmile range. gun (each) 267,904 lb
    8" used canister powder.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Took my Sons picture standing next to one on the deck of the USS North Carolina. He's a tall muscular fellow but was dwarfed by that projectile. I seem to remember it weighing almost 3000 # and over 6' tall, with brass bands to engage the rifeling.
    He is now 53 so that was that was 38 years ago.
    Last edited by mold maker; 11-08-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master

Double post
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Brings whole new meaning to "Oversize Load"
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master
    Calvin!
    Don thinks he has a 4-cavity mold somewhere- if he can find it!
    Loren

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    Calvin!
    Don thinks he has a 4-cavity mold somewhere- if he can find it!
    Loren
    the real problem is the 100 gallon lead pot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Took my Sons picture standing next to one on the deck of the USS North Carolina. He's a tall muscular fellow but was dwarfed by that projectile. I seem to remember it weighing almost 3000 # and over 6' tall, with brass bands to engage the rifeling.
    He is now 53 so that was that was 38 years ago.
    Been to the USS North Carolina several times, always a wonderful experience. Was there with my youngest 2 last summer. 16 in/45 Mark 6 on her, as opposed to the 16-inch (406 mm)/50-caliber Mark 7 on Iowa class.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    six silk bags–each filled with 110 pounds of propellant. 2,700-pound projectiles 20.55 nmile range. gun (each) 267,904 lb
    8" used canister powder.
    Actually, 8" guns used both separate loaded (bag charges) or semi-fixed (Cartridge case with separate projectile) ammunition. I'm not old enough to have ever worked on an 8", but one of my chief's did.

The quarterdeck of the US Navy Gun School had rounds on display ranging from the 3"/50 to the 16"/50. I don't remember offhand just what a 16"/50 BL&P projectile weighed, but I do know it was just about all four healthy young men wanted to do to stand one back up in the middle of the night. The watch before us had laid it down then couldn't get it back up so we had to help. Makes me wonder just how many times those projos got laid down on the midwatch.

Fun times, as long as you didn't get caught.

Robert

My dad was aboard USS Arkansas BB 33 running convoys to Iceland before the War. He was present when Roosevelt and Churchill drew up Atlantic Charter in Aug 41. He transferred to USS New Jersey BB 62 (Plank Owner) Dec 43. Was in Navy 21 years. I've toured many battleships i.e. USS Missouri, USS North Carolina, USS Massachuetts. He was able to tour the New Jersey in California before it went to shell Lebanon in 85? Met up with some old ship mates while visiting.

Attachment 230134 Attachment 230135
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Boolit Master
    And the puny 5"x54's on my ship had projectiles that weighed 54 pounds and used a brass case for the powder charge. Scarfed one fired caseing while the mount was actually firing with a set of ear muffs from a buddy who was in the air wing, asbestos gloves from the engineroom and a good old fashioned galvanized 32 gallon trash can. Made it into an ashtray which I still have over 50 years later. The machinest cut the case down, took a cut to get down to the brass which was covered by powder fouling, and drilled out the primer and rethreaded with a large bronze bolt then face'd off the base but still has all the original markings. Don't know how many watches I spent sanding that thing then brassoed the heck out of it. found some 1" x8" strip brass so it will get it engraved. Finally after all these years. All the machinest wanted was the left over brass casing as he made belt buckles in his off time. Some of them were pretty darn good. Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    And the puny 5"x54's on my ship had projectiles that weighed 54 pounds and used a brass case for the powder charge. Scarfed one fired caseing while the mount was actually firing with a set of ear muffs from a buddy who was in the air wing, asbestos gloves from the engineroom and a good old fashioned galvanized 32 gallon trash can. Made it into an ashtray which I still have over 50 years later. The machinest cut the case down, took a cut to get down to the brass which was covered by powder fouling, and drilled out the primer and rethreaded with a large bronze bolt then face'd off the base but still has all the original markings. Don't know how many watches I spent sanding that thing then brassoed the heck out of it. found some 1" x8" strip brass so it will get it engraved. Finally after all these years. All the machinest wanted was the left over brass casing as he made belt buckles in his off time. Some of them were pretty darn good. Frank
    lots of ashtrays have been made form shell casings. 3"/50 brass was just about dead on perfect size for it.

In Remembrance

I heard a reference to when a 16" was fired it was like throwing an equally weight automobile down range. I remember seeing on the news during the Lebanon shelling where it took 8 locals to carry off an un-exploded projo.Robert

Boolit Master
    Found some old pics of the Alabama. I have a ton of the Texas too, but I have no idea where they are.

Oh, and here's a 2700 lb AP projectile (would you call something this big a bullet?) from a 16" gun.

Seems like allot of work to me. Why not just put some stamps on the barrels and mail them?
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Casting for that is the real reason Doe Run shut down. Ran out of lead
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

We can find the lead, just where to you find the LimbSaver!
    Mk42 - The older 8' were bag guns but the never (now extinct) are autoloading guns with canisters. We hi-lined them, they are heavy, you don't unclip them till the turret hoist is ready.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Burn View Post
    My dad was aboard USS Arkansas BB 33 running convoys to Iceland before the War. He was present when Roosevelt and Churchill drew up Atlantic Charter in Aug 41. He transferred to USS New Jersey BB 62 (Plank Owner) Dec 43. Was in Navy 21 years. I've toured many battleships i.e. USS Missouri, USS North Carolina, USS Massachuetts. He was able to tour the New Jersey in California before it went to shell Lebanon in 85? Met up with some old ship mates while visiting.

Attachment 230134 Attachment 230135
    During that deployment (85) the NJ berthed in Haifa Israel for a time. I was in Haifa and saw her out in the water. A majestic sight indeed.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12