Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impulse Buy!

Boolit Master

Impulse Buy!

Got carried away at the gun show last weekend. Gonna be hard to sneak this one into the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSgxpZD2qRw

One Thanksgiving when I was a child my Dad took me onboard his ship, the Iowa-class battleship USS Wisconsin. He took me inside a forward turret, and let me crawl into the breech of one of the guns. It was awesome! The Wisconsin is now parked in Norfolk, Va., near here and where Dad was stationed after WWII.

On another Thanksgiving he took me onboard the USS Canberra, a Boston-class guided missile cruiser. Also awesome. The Canberra was the only U.S. Navy ship named for a foreign warship or foreign city.

Boolit Master

them are big barrels. in the early 90's when i was stationed at long beach naval station they had a pile of them. was probably 40 of those 16" barrels stacked not too far off the missouri, and new jersey's pier. they disappeared shortly after the battleships were decom'd.

Boolit Master
    I've been on the USS Alabama and the USS Texas. The guns on those ships are beyond impressive.

ya but try finding a bullet mould for one.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master

I have had the rare privilege to see the terminal effects of the New Jersey's 16 inchers in Viet Nam. We were flying along the DMZ and got an artillery advisory on the Guard channel and pulled back a little. In a few minutes there were huge explosions inside the DMZ. The New Jersey. It was so far off shore that in the haze it wasn't visible. I'd have hated to be on the receiving end of those.
    In Hawaii, 16" projectiles were stored in outdoor storage on the north shore. A narrow guage railway ran to Pearl Harbor for transportation. They're huge./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Yeah, and after ya find that mold, consider that ya gotta use a forklift to move them boolits over to the oven for the PC.

Not only that, but hummmm, maybe we better talk to them zlug guys as a full castin session with lead might deplete the entire scrap lead inventory for all sources within a couple hour drive.

Yea Beagle, her BIL witnessed the same, destroyed ammo dump. I was on the Canberra, had a barrel replaced, took several days.
    Whatever!

Inside the museum at the Wisconsin dock there's a section of the 16 inch barrel. The darn thing has micro groove rifling!

Soooo.... Calvin, ya bringin' that to Winnemucca next year ??? JW

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    Soooo.... Calvin, ya bringin' that to Winnemucca next year ??? JW
    You bet John. Make sure you get on my team for the board shoot. 16" qualifies it for a rifle.

Boolit Master
    When I was at the Philadelphia naval base waiting for my separation papers to come in, they had the USS New Jersey in drydock on an overhaul for duty in the south china sea. We went on board and naturally went forward to check out those massive 16" naval rifles in their equally massive turrets. Pictures do not really do them justice. Standing next to the turrets is a lifetime experience. Thanks for the memories. Frank

In Remembrance

There are several replacement barrels still around for the Arizona. They are at the memorial for the Arizona in Phoenix, Arizona. I was told that the caliber of these massive guns was the bore diameter followed by the barrel length, like a 16" x 54`.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a cool video. I've worked around some heavy equipment but never handled anything quite that heavy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    There are several replacement barrels still around for the Arizona. They are at the memorial for the Arizona in Phoenix, Arizona. I was told that the caliber of these massive guns was the bore diameter followed by the barrel length, like a 16" x 54`.Robert
    a 16"54caliber , the length is figured by multiplying the bore diameter 16" in this example times the caliber, 54, you get a 72 foot long barrel. common modern guns 5"54's are 22.5' long and the new 5"62's are 25.8' long.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    wonder what the cast weight would be? how bad would the hollow point be?

And what would be better load density, bullseye or unique?
    Bullseye is the only powder to use in this situation
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    I've been on the USS Alabama and the USS Texas. The guns on those ships are beyond impressive.
    I've been on those ships too! The only battleships that I have been on.

Boolit Master
    One "flake" of powder weighs about 1/4 lbs. The shells are machine turned bronze. I have an acquaintance that served on the shore battery of 16" guns at the opening of San Francisco Bay. This was after his tour in Nam. During an inventory his unit found loads for the guns. 5 bags of propellant lined up behind each shell. They test fired one round. A flight of jets, (not F 4s ), passed over the battery going super sonic as the gun was fired. My acquaintance received gun camera footage of the shell rising to just below the flight's altitude, out racing the jets then falling out of sight on its ballistic arch.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

When I was young, a good friend had a picture of his uncle sitting on an unexploded 16" progo from one of the battleships off the south Pacific island that he was on. He was sitting on it like a stump eating C rations like there wasn't a care in the world. It was a neat picture. The shell was huge.
    Rob

I was under the impression that Blackpowder in sacks were used in the 16" guns? I thought I read that in G&A a long time ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast