Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Annealing New Brass

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Annealing New Brass

I heard that you should always anneal new Starline brass. Is this true? How about other brands? I’m using .45-70 cases.

Boolit Grand Master

All my starline brass Ive bought direct from them that's BP or smokeless has had a note in it that for BP it should be annealed. Annealing correctly is a good practice to get into.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    All my starline brass Ive bought direct from them that's BP or smokeless has had a note in it that for BP it should be annealed. Annealing correctly is a good practice to get into.
    I normally anneal my brass from time to time, but Starline is the first brass I’ve bought brand new. I only bought a hundred, so they were repackaged I’m sure. Nothing came with them saying they should be annealed. Thanks for confirmation on that. I’ll get out the propane torch, drill and long socket tomorrow.

Moderator Emeritus

A very heart-in-the-right-place (I hope) addendum to this: Many, many people I've "worked with" through the years "anneal" -- but, very few really do anneal. Brass gets totally ruined by too much heat for too long -- extremely every to easy to do, too. Or, conversely, not enough for sufficient time only wastes your time and propane. I'd be remiss, too, to not add that if you accidentally (really) anneal the lower part, including head of your case, you're inviting a pretty catastrophic paradigm upon firing. Kaboom! Again, I do not wish to upset YOU (or anyone else ) -- but if you're a seasoned, experienced annealer cognizant of all the do's and do-nots -- perhaps this may possibly be of help to another reader. However, if you're "new" to annealing, PLEASE do not believe most of what you hear, or read on the Internet re recreational annealing. I highly recommend you research this process! A good article is at http://www.lasc.us/CartridgeCaseAnnealing.htm ; the Art & Sciece of Annealing: http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html ; and, even perhaps the instructions which accompany a commercial brass annealing machine. One of the ones I use us made by Giraud, and their manual is at http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html . Hornady actually purveyed an annealing set-up similar to the socket/bolt in electric drill; perhaps, if still available, they may have instructions for this too.

Once again, please be safe!!!!!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I recently formed some new Starline brass.
    After several of the cases cracked on forming I annealed them about 1/3 of the length and they worked fine.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I recently formed some new Starline brass.
    After several of the cases cracked on forming I annealed them about 1/3 of the length and they worked fine.
    That’s interesting. I will be sure to anneal mine from the get go.

Boolit Master

I wished to hell they'd bothered to tell me that when I paid $90.00 plus s&h for 100 .45-100 to reform into
    .40-82, 20+yrs ago. I lost 10 of them after trimming and sizing down. I called and complained & got no help.
    It's nice to know they've improved their customer service. If not their brass.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

It’s interesting to see Starline, in there FAQ section, inplys that brass doesn’t ever need to be annealed. Check out their web site. I guess they sell more brass if people never anneal it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    It’s interesting to see Starline, in there FAQ section, inplys that brass doesn’t ever need to be annealed. Check out their web site. I guess they sell more brass if people never anneal it.
    I read through Starline's entire FAQ section and only came across the term "anneal" with respect to a very specific question about shooting black powder in the big 45 caliber rifle cases. I don't think this "inplys" anything else about any other brass. And the question does not suggest converting brass from one cartridge to another like so many of us do here, requiring annealing for the resizing operation.

Boolit Master
    I think Starline avoids the last anneal because of lack of annealing capacity or they a cutting cost. In any event they must not shoot their own brass much. As it is I much prefer other brands of 45-70 brass.
    EDG

I anneal Starline brass when it's new an after each firing afterward. Have some cases that have 10 reloads that are still good

Boolit Master

If your shooting lower (Trapdoor) pressure loads, annealling will help in sealing the chamber and preventing blowby.

Boolit Master
    I anneal when new and every shot after on 45-70. Almost always low pressure loads. Way over 10 times and still going.

Boolit Mold
    I bought some new Starline 45-70 cases and after 4-5 firings I had some pressure leaks evidenced by black streaks starting at the case mouth resulting in some shots that hit low. I then annealed my brass and about every three firings thereafter and have had no more problems. Some cases now have more than 10 firings and still going strong. I DON'T full length resize so that should help also.