Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: remelt alox coated bullets?

Boolit Bub

remelt alox coated bullets?

can i put bullets that have been coated in lee alox stuff back into the pot? i mean.. i know i can but.. is it safe from "explosions" like water or how should i get that alox off before remelting it?

Boolit Bub
    Shouldn't be an issue. If your worried try Putting them in a cold pot. They will burn and smoke so it's an outdoor project.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Agreed, better for smelting in a cold pot- alox should work as a flux

Boolit Master
    Works as a flux ,no problem .

Boolit Grand Master

As stated above; no big deal. The alox will smoke, work so outdoors or with good ventilation, and the alox acts like a flux. Done that many times. Hot pot, cold pot, never made much difference to me...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

I've remelted cast and lubed bullets several times with no problem. I did start with a cold pot. Be prepared for a good bit of smoke.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought a few gallons of mystery boolits that were coated with Lee's mule snot from a scrapyard a few years ago. I filled my smelting pot full of them and by the time the alloy liquefied there was a blackened layer of burning stuff about an eighth to a quarter of an inch thick on top. It burned with some nasty black smoke, so I will recommend doing doing it outside unless you only have a few.

If your boolits are properly coated there might not be any problem, the ones I had the coating was about fifty thousandths thick.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    You've already gotten your answer here, but I'll just add that I consider remelting lubed bullets as a way of getting free flux into my mix... there shouldn't be any water in the lube (it's a lipid which is hydrophobic) so the only concern is the smoke, and most of my fluxes smoke anyway. It sounds like Mk42gunner above got a little extra fluxing, but other than the mess to skim off, I don't see any danger or major disadvantage there. FWIW, I sometimes intentionally use a few lubed scrap bullets as carriers for my flux!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Light the smoke and it will burn off the nasty smoke and smell.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

I ignite the smoke myself. As the bullets melt down, I use a propane torch to burn the smoke and speed the melting process.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have a large batch of bullets, one option is to toss a bunch of the lubed bullets in a platic jar with a heavy splash of mineral spirits. Shake em up, that’ll remove alot of the alox. I did this with many hundred 357 bullets, got them clean enough I was able to powder coat them.

Probably a bit much if you’re just chucking them in the pot, but wanted to share the idea.

Banned

I just pull a couple of matches out of the book and throw them in the pot. They ignite!