Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Leather ?

Boolit Master

Leather ?

I am making a set of knife scales for a knife I have been working on for a while

So I figure I will also need a knife sheath
    So where is a decent place online to order leather ?

Nothing fancy is needed

I just figure I should order enough leather to do several sheaths
    So I can do more knife sheaths as I need them

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Doesn't really answer your thread but you might just try googling "Leather" and see what pops up localy. Missoula doesn't have a dedicated leather retailer like a Tandy but a local shoe store sells leather by the hide or a cut. At least this way you can see what you're actually getting.

I've been very satisfied with Montana leather,mentioned above. "No drama" has been my critique these days from vendors... don't know if they like it in their feedback loop but to me it's high praise.Montana leather has been,no drama.

Moderator Emeritus

I've gotten some from Springfield Leather Company. No complaints.

For the amount you are looking for you might try a local Hobby Lobby. I have gotten scrap leather, which is usually thin and flexible, to make possible bags from (this usually the thickness of upholstery leather). But they do have the thicker leather also.

I have also purchase antlers and horns from here: https://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/Antlers.html . They also sell hides of all sorts from cow to exotic.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

Go to the used clothing store and look for cowboy boots. You can make holsters, sheaths and lots of things out of a pair of scuffed boots with worn soles. You will probably need a plastic insert for any sheath you make or the leather will cost more than the knife pieces did. The other option is to use two pieces, one as a liner and the other as a cover.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I've had some business with The Leather Guy for boot material, and been very pleased with prices and what I received. https://theleatherguy.org/

Bulldogger

Boolit Grand Master

I got all my leather and leather finishing supplies , lacings , patterns and kits from Tandy Leather, inc for decades . Tandy Leather even had a store in Baton Rouge ... this was days BC (before computers)...Now they have a cool website with instructional video's !

M-Tecs ...thanks for posting their site ...just for old times sake I signed on to receive Tandy News ...
    Might have to make something ...I was pretty good at doing fancy laced edges !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Zack white leather in North Carolina has everything and anything for leather projects including gun and knife holster complete And parts

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Go to the used clothing store and look for cowboy boots. You can make holsters, sheaths and lots of things out of a pair of scuffed boots with worn soles. You will probably need a plastic insert for any sheath you make or the leather will cost more than the knife pieces did. The other option is to use two pieces, one as a liner and the other as a cover.
    Yuppers. Thrift stores & pvc pipe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Just made an order from the leather guy for the same purpose - I've handled four knives now and need to make some sheathes.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Ditto on thrift stores for up cycling leather.

Please post pics of the results.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    I've used sole leather from boots and shoes picked up from yard sales. It's extreme duty stuff and picked it up for a few bucks buying shoes by the box. As for sheaths, You can buy a kit from Tandy for a few dollars. I've made a few out of vegetable tanned leather I tan myself. It's a simple process. Just takes time. I've veg tanned deer hides, squirrel and coon hides. The main ingredient is bark tannin i extract from White Oak tree bark. Dehair and thoroughly flesh the hides. Gather copious amounts of bark. Crush and cut it as finely as possible. Soak it in a big tub of water to extract the tannin. Soak the prepped hides in it until fully saturated. Theres more, but that's the jist of it