Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Not panic buying

Boolit Master

Not panic buying

I just found a bag of Remington SP 10 wads today at a little old gunshop.I don't even own a 10 gauge,but something in me said buy them just in case.Might be able to trade them for a gallon of gas some day.Hope not!

Boolit Master

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Although, if they're practically "giving them away" or almost "paying you" to take them, then maybe. Trouble is, in (say) 5-years you will look at that package, dusty, perhaps retaped, and after your face palm, you will wonder, if to no one but yourself, "Why? What now?"

There's bound to be a "Flow Chart" somewhere, thoughts to consider prior to a purchase, in which ALL Pachinko-like avenues of Decision Making lead to YES. Its alternative chart, somewhere, maybe, leads every avenue to NO. Murphy decides which chart you find first...
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

If it’s a deal to good to pass up then in our current economic climate you did good. I have bought many things that I really didn’t need but at the price I knew I could turn them into something I did need or want. No panicking, just good sense.

Boolit Master
    Just good old fashioned hoarding. I may have been there at one point, but I "think" I am at the point I could leave them behind, even it they were giving them away for free (and I own a 10 guage). I credit my mother for my the thoughts I needed crap that I really don't need, just too good of a price to leave....I generally only did this on shooting/hunting related things. It can be a problem.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

We’ve built up our pantry a bit since Covid, riots, etc. with one rule. Only buy things you would normally use. Good thing, too, because the oldest stuff is starting to reach its expiration date so it is getting layered into current meals. Those wads will last a long time, but they have to be stored indoors. Could that space be used for something better? Something you are more likely to use? Ammo, primers, and powder keep a long time, but must be stored properly as well. Even then, they still degrade. Breaks my heart when I hear about someone fertilizing the roses with a whole can of powder.

Bartering requires a lot of time, energy, and effort to find the right person to trade with. Especially if something really bad happens and the internet quits working. Something you can use yourself is much more efficient.

Moderator Emeritus

I just started a total inventory of all my reloading stuff. Finding duplicates and why did I get that stuff. Eye opening when you see the receipt and look at current prices. Wow. Texted my son and told him if I die I am gonna haunt him forever if he gets rid of my stuff without really going through it.

I stopped buying things I don't have a need for - it only led to me getting another gun that I could use whatever I bought for Nothing wrong with that, but it led to too many discussions with my finance boss...
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Grand Master

Something to remember ... " Never pass up a good deal . "
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Started to take inventory and I am finding stuff I knew I had but forgot about. I stepped back and stood there.. Said to myself what is better? Money or items? I pick items any day. I am not panic buying, but I will not let a smoking deal go unpurhased.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    I just found a bag of Remington SP 10 wads today at a little old gunshop.I don't even own a 10 gauge,
    Ahhh,,,, I see what you did.

You can tell us---
    You always wanted a 10 gauge didn't ya?
    Now you have the perfect reason why you 'need' to get one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    I just found a bag of Remington SP 10 wads today at a little old gunshop.I don't even own a 10 gauge,but something in me said buy them just in case.Might be able to trade them for a gallon of gas some day.Hope not!
    I bought a SMLE stripper clip once.

5 years later a SMLE followed me home.

It's all good.

Boolit Bub
    I don't get all this panic buying. I started stockpiling back in the 70's when surplus powder was a buck a pound.Brass, all the stuff you want back then. Scrap prices for GI stuff. Free at the local ranges. High grade K98's and Springfields were under 100 bucks.Primers were all but free. So was lead.I have over 200 surplus rifles in my collection. Components? I don't even know how much I have. Point is, my granddaddy taught me to buy it while it's cheap. Prices always go up.We all know where components are these days... Non existent, higher than a giraffe butt when you can find it