Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Lube sizer and issues

RCBS Lube sizer and issues

I bought this about 4 months ago. It done a great job with Carnuba Blue and sizing 45 colt bullets. I am noticing with Bac lube that I am really having to bear down on the handle and usually a full turn and 1/2 to get lube into the bullet cast from the NOE mold. It wasn't as hard with the Carnuba Blue as it is now. Tried the Lyman heater under it and may help a small amount but not much. I am having to stand up and get some really forceful leverage on the 45-70 bullets. The rings and threads are all ok and I keep the rings lubed. Don't have it in front of me but I am sizing this down about 3 thousandths from cast size.

Got an older Lyman 450 and the ratchet stripped out trying to get lube in the grooves with it. Room is at 74 degrees at all times. Any advise or is it just take this much force. Sizing die is a Lyman.

Boolit Master
    It takes a while for one of the heaters to warm the lube up.Try a propane torch to heat the lube sizer up.Try running the bullet deeper into the sizing die.

Boolit Grand Master

Lube is to cold/hard. Let the heater run longer and try again. I know WL says some of their lives don’t require heat. I’ve found they all work better w/ some heat applied. Unless it’s summer and my garage is 85+.

Super Moderator

There really shouldn't be much difference between those two lubes as far as effort to size. If anything, the BAC should be a little softer...

The mold is casting at around .462 and I am sizing at .459
    I think I left the heater on for about 30 minutes until the base was warm to the touch. I haven't done any since late fall but noticed it last couple of weeks. Heat vent from the house is not too far away from both sizers. I took the dies out and cleaned just in case that might be an issue but doesn't seem to help. Will try running a little deeper and see if that helps.

Boolit Master
    had a similar problem with my RCBS luber took apart and found part of a lube stick wrapper (I presume, it was plastic) piled up in the gallery that feeds lube to the die causing a restriction works great now. Keep digging you'll be able to resolve the problem these are pretty simple to fix pieces of equipment.

Boolit Buddy
    Remove the center/ejector pin up and out of the die. Do this with a coat hanger wire or some such stiff probe - no need to remove die from sizer. Then turn heater on or hair drier to warm the sizer up. Crank lube feed screw a couple turns or better and purge lube through all the lube ports till you are sure every thing flows easy. Reassemble. Good luck!

I've had a hard time going down .002 with water dropped wheel weights. I use a heat gun or let the Lube Matic 11 sit in the sun for a while, to get my lube flowing. Using too much force will damage any lube sizer. If I'm going down more than .002, I use Lee push through dies and a RCBS Jr. press, that will put up with almost anything...

Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like two problems?

Let's first look at the problem of sizing a 462 down to 459
    depending on how hard the alloy is, that can take a lot of force.
    As mentioned about, you might want to use a push through sizer in a strong reloading press to size them down, then run them through the RCBS to just lube the boolits.

Second, if you are having lube issues and heat isn't helping, there must be something in lube or lubesizer restricting flow, removing the lube and cleaning the lubesizer may be necessary.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Water quenched wheel weights. With gas check.

Room temperature is said to be 72 f degrees. (Internet)

I found the 50/50 needed more heat then 72 degrees.
    Melt Temperatures:
    Lube working temp melt temp
    50/50 room temp 162°F
    BAC room temp 162°F
    2500 room temp 162°F
    Carnauba Red 100°F 162°F
    Commercial 160 105-130°F 165°F
    Commercial 190 130-155°F 190°F
    https://www.lsstuff.com/faqs

The current 50/50 is harder then the old Alox blend, i cant use it in my Lyman 450.

The traditional NRA forumula for 50-50 lube Is 50% BeesWax and 50% Alox 2138F.
    Alox 2138F is no longer made. Alox 350 is the current replacement.
    Alox 350 can be mixed with 6-7% Micro Wax to get an approximation of Alox 2138F.
    Your mix of of Alox 350 and micro wax can now be mixed with 50% Beeswax to make 50-50 lube.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 11-07-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wendyj View Post
    My suggestion is to first make sure the lube flow in not compromised in some way. The second suggestion would be to not water quench the boolits. Maybe could try that and see what happens.

From Midwayusa .

Contact them with the problem. I was offered an exchange .https://www.lsstuff.com/contact-us

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...bel-Lube-50-50

In the winter, i steal the wifes heating pad.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 11-07-2018 at 08:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    Those bullets are too large in diameter when they are that hard for your lube sizer. Size to .460 or .461. Better yet size to .460 and use a 20-1 alloy. If all you have is wheel weights DO NOT QUENCH. Both quenching and a gas check is like a belt and suspenders. I have been shooting the 45-70 since about 1972. I do not use either gas checks or hard bullets. I use 20 parts lead to 1 part tin.

EDG

Boolit Grand Master

If you’re water quenching then you need to size immediately after casting. You’re attempting to size them down a lot. Size in smaller steps if you can. If you let them sit for a prolonged period they’re going to harden and as you found out require a lot of force to size.

forceful leverage on the 45-70 bullets.
    This could be a die problem? A new die didn't have the right taper in the mouth. The bevel seemed to be missing. The .360" diameter bullet started hard into the .358" die. When the lube groove got deeper into the die, the pressure on the lever was a lot less. But became harder again past the lube groove.

I contacted Lyman and they sent a new die, no charge. Great customer service.

You may have 2 problems.

Extra hard lube and a bad die?
    Last edited by 243winxb; 11-07-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy

EDG & dragon813gt have the problem identified. I oven temper wheel weight alloy 30 caliber bullets just below the slump temperature and then quench, if I do not check and size them right away they are difficult to run through the sizer. Either check and size your bullets right away or stop water quenching them and your problem will go away. There is nothing wrong with your die or lube.

Have fun,

JCherry

These have been sitting for around 2 weeks since I cast them. May be my issue. Got a NOE sizer so will order a new bottom sizer from Al today.

Got my NOE sizer from Al yesterday. Sprayed a little one shot on the bullets and ran easy through his set up. Put back in RCBS lube sizer and lubing fine. I think the Lyman sizing die was having a hard time going from.462 to.459 Two steps but worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast