MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Will .375 ball fit a .410 shotgun wad?

Boolit Master

Will .375 ball fit a .410 shotgun wad?

A friend has asked if it is possible to load something similar to the Federal 000 4-ball .410 shell for his Judge. I cast the Lee .375 round ball for C&B and I'm wondering if the 000 at .36 diameter can be replaced with the .375 ball. Another consideration is that the four larger balls will also weigh more. Any info would be appreciated. GF

Boolit Master
    It should fit fine. If not, just cut the petals off the wad. If you have to do that I would suggest using some kind of lube to prevent leading.

Banned
    Hello Grey Fox, Here for .410 lovers a treat.

Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

I cast .375" RBs from a lee mold. 3 balls will fit in an old winchester trap wad just fine. Using a 3" fio hull, allows me to load a 4th RB that isn't held by the petals.

I just bought some bpi 410 wads (i forget the designation of the wad) and the petals are so thick it bulges the hull and will not chamber..

I am firing these from a fixed fc mossberg 500. I am still working up a load, but i have found buffer is a must if you want to put the pellets on target at 30 yards.

The RBs need to be hard, soft lead will result in deformed pellets that go were they want to go, not where you aim. I use hardball alloy and water quench.

BB

Boolit Master
    Thanks, folks, that is just what I was hoping for. I also thought that WD WW would be a good alloy for the .375 balls for this application. I may try instant grits as a buffer trickled in as the balls are loaded. GF

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Thanks, folks, that is just what I was hoping for. I also thought that WD WW would be a good alloy for the .375 balls for this application. I may try instant grits as a buffer trickled in as the balls are loaded. GF
    Use butter flavored, smells better.

BB

Boolit Master
    I just loaded a lot of 3" using AA2 1/2" wads holding 4 00 with a 000 outside of the petals.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    With the inexpensive and excellent commercial buffers available, I would strongly discourage the use of hydroscopic substances like grits or flour in any shotshell loading endeavor.
    Last edited by RMc; 11-10-2018 at 01:20 AM.