Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: 410 powder

Boolit Master

410 powder

I have been loading off and on for my 410 for a couple of years. I have H110 that belonged to my Dad that I have been using but it is running low. It does fine I but leaves a lot of fouling, doesn't really bother anything but I an wondering if there is anything better. It also seems that some of the new powders tent to burn out the hulls.

I have been looking around but have not found a lot of information. Anyone here have experience with this ?

Dave

USMC 77, USRA 79

2400 is the ticket in my 410... no burn in the small amount of plastic that I shoot... I mostly shoot all brass shells though, with Black Powder
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

296/h110 is the ticket. Meters better. Lilgun is alittle more velocity but as you saw, hull life is limited. You really only get one good reload from a hull, after that the pattern keeps shrinking. I patterned factory, and reloads, 1,2, 3 and four. I understood why my 410 scores were low. Ok for practice but if ya start missing, it can rattle you causing you to change stuff which is why i started only shooting factory for registered targets. Occassionally i'd shoot 1x but it cost me 2-4 targets on a good day.

I use 16g I4227 in new 3" fio hulls with 5/8 oz of 6-shot in old win wads. Roll crimped with an OS card. This powder charge is 1 or 2 grains lower than the published data i have. Out of my fixed fc mossberg 500e it patterns good enough for a fox squirrel out to 35 yards. I haven't reloaded the 1x fio hulls since i don't have primers that fit.

BB

Boolit Master
    When I ran out of h 110 I tried a pound of lilgun and as others I found it to burn the hulls badly , so I went with 296 simply because h110 wasn't available at the time . I have noticed that shot out hulls produce poorer patterns as well but most of my shooting is back yard pop can hunting , so I use my hulls until the crimps are burned .

After years with 296, switched to Lil Gun. Like it.

Boolit Master
    It's nice since the latest powder shortage to be able shop around for the powder you choose rather what you can get .

Hey beemer
    After more than forty years of loading 410, the definitive answer is 2400. All and any propellant will go boom or pop, the 410 is performance sensitive. Lee hand loader, Lee Loadall, then a MEC 600 and now a MEC Sizemaster, all loaded satisfactory rounds with the MEC Sizemaster, my hands down favorite. While there are some hulls that are better, lack of folks loading 410 hulls, presents me with a broad spectrum of usable options. For competition, Win AA is used exclusively. Five stand, informal or hand thrown and blasting pests/varmints, any hull works. If the crimp holds, my Skeet scores remain consistent. Using 2400 does not degrade the hull as much as repetitive crimping. The newer powder "410" does not fall into my experience, yet. My old metal keg of Hercules 2400 is getting low so curiosity may produce some data on the new offering. Do a little search digging here on the forum and you will get a wealth of empirical information, I know. Best of skill to you.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been using Alliant 410 powder for years and it works well.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys,
    I already have 2400 that I use in several rifles and a 357, I'll give that a try as it will help consolidate the powders.

I bought a H & R single on a whim and now have a Stoeger double. I hunt very little anymore but I find the 410 a very useful creepy critter getter. I found a loader at the flea market, and here we go. I find it a fussy thing to load but it's fun to fool with.

Dave