Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do people think venison is gamey?

I will eat any game except deer. While it is cooking it smells just like it did when it was being dressed.

Those trophy antlers taste like OLD bull horns. and I don't turn up my nose at mountain oysters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    Darn few do. One thing I do that I don't see mentioned (well I did see one where he would never use water) is completely wash the deer after skinning. Sometimes use vinegar and water but have used water from the hose with the nozzle. I wash the hell out of them. I know I don't have to mention clearing all the blood shot stuff away but I'll just throw it in there. I agree with pretty much all else said, trimming and de-boning then cut it up NOW. This is all done as quickly as I can get it home. Yes field dress before, (that's what field dressed means) I've even gone as far as skinning where they dropped but rarely. Depending on the deer (size, age, location) I sometimes will take the cut up pieces and soak them in a large container of salt water over night. I've never had "bad" venison doing these things. I'm with Lloyd also, I've never aged a deer even in a cooler. It still tastes like venison, but good venison. The best wild game I've ever eaten is Moose without a doubt. I like beef but I'd throw out the best beef steak for a Moose steak....yummy stuff.
    I mentioned that I never used water to wash out the insides of the deer. When I gutted one out it was always where I'd shot it, and I sure did not have access to a water hose. The theory is that if you use water out of a jug and slosh it around the cavity it will only spread the blood etc, around the cavity, but using paper towels will not. It always worked fine for me and I never had one that was "gamey". I will admit that if I had access to a water hose it would have probably done fine.

Moderator Emeritus

We rinsed them when we got back to camp... then butchered...

One thing we always did was if we had to drag out of a field the deer was wrapped in a tarp to protect it from the mud.

Banned

never saw where not cleaning the cavity imparted bad flavor in the meat. When I butcher I allways take off the top layer of silver skin and slice off a very thin layer of meat on parts that don't have it to protect them. Never seen where a water hose hurt a thing either. Maybe if you hosed one out on a hot day and left it sit warm for a long time afterward. Some will cringe at this but we shoot ALOT of deer. Sometimes as many as 5 a night and even field dressing them is kind of a rough dressing for us. We don't even cut out the but hole. I do that at home when the deer is hanging. I just don't see where it hurts and even when I used to do it if your not careful you are taking a contaminated knife and slicing into meat. I sure don't have time to carefully and surgicaly field dress five deer in the field. Get the guts out and stack them in the truck and worry about the fine parts when there hanging at home with good light and its comfortable enough to take your time. My old bod even after round dressing 5 deer doesn't even want to bend down. Don't know what some of you fussier guys would do if you gut shot one. It would take a case of paper town and youd about have to drive a point in the woods to get enough water to thoroughly clean one. I don't worry about the mud either. Ive never had to eat the hide anyway.

Moderator Emeritus

We hunted harvested and plowed fields... gumbo mud that added 50 pounds to each boot... rather not pack that into the gut cavity... not when a tarp is light, add a couple ropes and easy to drag...

If games taste is other from spoiled, I've heard the white sinuous and bone marrow wil make for a bad taste. Buffalo meat is pretty dry as little fat. I've been to a venison chili taste and did't really like any but it just isn't beef.
    Whatever!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123