RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interested in a 45 "cowboy" revolver

Boolit Master
    You read Outpost75 correctly.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The Uberti 1873 Cattleman Calvary Old model is 99% correct to the original with the locking screw for the base pin ... https://www.uberti-usa.com/1873-sing...eman-revolvers
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Another strike against fixed sights are that you sometimes are limited to shooting the load that shoots to the sights. When I first got my fixed sight uberti, I thought that I made a mistake. After developing a load just for this gun, I am now happy. Be careful these guns are addicting. I went from buying my first single action to having currently 11 in a very short time. So, you will probably end up with both before it is over.
    Fixed sights are not the bane most shooters assume them to be. My primary revolvers are fixed sighed .357's, .38-40's, 44 Specials, and 45 Colts; nine of them in all.
    I have found bullet POI to be pretty much a non-issue out to 75 yds. with the .357. The lightest bullet I use is a 153 gr. SWC and the heaviest for hunting around 170 grs. .44 Special, a 246 gr. RN running around 775 fps and a hunting load of a 260 gr. bullet running 1,000 to 1100 fps is likewise close in POI's all the way out to 75 yds. The 45 Colt gives me the most difference, but it's not insurmountable by any stretch. My practice and plinking load is a 250 gr. RNFP running 850 fps and my hunting load a 290 gr. SWC running 1000. With the lighter of the two I have to hold a little high at ranges from 25 to 75 yds.

The bottom line with fixed sight revolvers is to load and shoot similar bullet weights, using slower loads for practice and heavier for hunting, if desired, but regulate the sights for the most "important" load.

I own revolvers with adjustable sights, but have found no need, or desire, to twiddle with them when changing loads.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by LIMPINGJ View Post
    You read Outpost75 correctly.
    Outpost75 doesn't shoot a 44-40 he shoots a 44-45!

He probably has a 45 Schofield cylinder that will fit in there too!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I've got 2 of the original Vaqueros in 45. Great guns, that can handle the hot loads.

Boolit Master
    depends do you want to shoot it a lot? or just carry it around for the look. to shoot get a ruger new vaquero. if just for look get one of the Italian repros. I have both. my real go to single action is a ruger old model Blackhawk in .357.

Boolit Buddy

I had a Beretta .45LC made by Uberti that also had a .45ACP cylinder and I loved it. If I am not mistaken, it had an adjustable rear sight. In fact, I wish I had it back. If you see it out there, send it home.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia John View Post
    I had a Beretta .45LC made by Uberti that also had a .45ACP cylinder and I loved it. If I am not mistaken, it had an adjustable rear sight. In fact, I wish I had it back. If you see it out there, send it home.
    I have a beretta stampede made by uberti. Mine has a fixed sight, but it is a great revolver. I have seen some that looked like they had wind adjustable sights. I have a couple loads regulated for my sights, and I only use it for playing. For hunting I use my blackhawks.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Banner Sponsor

Outpost 75 noticed the huge forcing cone that would swallow a 45 cal bullet. .. so he puy in his 45 cylinder and tried it. He reported that there didn't seem to be any problems with it.
    It reminds me of the test the NRA did way back when shooting an 8mm bullet in a 30.06 just to see what would happen. There was no damage to the gun and the measured pressure was actually lower than a standard 30.06. Just for clarification , they shot a 150gn 30.06 factory load and messured the pressure. Next they cut an 8mm neck and throat in the same barrel. Then took a factory 150 gn load pulled the bullet , necked the case up to 8mm and seated a 150 gn 8mm bullet.

I guess a .45 to .43 rifled sizing die that you can shoot is a good thing to have. Ruger must be thrilled? I trust your knowledge Outpost75 - but what made you take the leap of faith to try this? I'm stupid fearless and I'd be a little skeered.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12