Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interested in a 45 "cowboy" revolver

Boolit Buddy

Interested in a 45 "cowboy" revolver

As I grow older, my interest in history further diversifies. 10 years ago it was all WWII surplus rifles. Now my interest in some firearm history closer to home has started. Wouldn't mind a revolver of the old west. I don't want authentic, as I don't want to spend a ton on it or hang it on a wall. I want to shoot it for fun. Interested in the 45LC cartridge for a while and would like to load and cast for it. I plan to get a 45LC lever rifle as well....but would like a revolver first. I did some searching, keep seeing Uberti and Cimarron names come up quite a bit. Both are in the price range I had in mind. Thinking maybe a 6-8" barrel.

I love my Cimmeron “Evil Roy”
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3B582D55-65D9-407C-B6B2-9BF35C5036F5.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	230003
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

The spaghetti revolvers come in the std COLT bbl lengths of 4 3/4", 5 1/2", 7 1/2" bbls. Plus 3 or 31/2".

I have 20 odd SA's from COLT, RUGER & various italian manufacturers. I would recommend a RUGER. 45Colt with 5 1/2" bbl.
    Put 500rds thru it and if you still feel the need, send it to a decent GUNSMITH to get slicked up.
    Unless you are going to become a Very SERIOUS Cowboy Action Competitor, you don't need a short stroke or a cylinder that will spin forward or backwards.
    Just a smooth action & crisp trigger.

Good Luck & good shooting
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

One of the first questions you must ask yourself is, will I be happy with a fixed sight revolver, or, will I want a revolver with an adjustable rear sight? I have both and prefer the adj. sights. My old eyes just don’t pick up the fixed sight notch like they pick up the adj. sight.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My most used revolver is an old model original Ruger Vaquero 7-1/2" on the large frame, originally a . 44 Magnum, but I also have .44-40, .45 Colt and .45 ACP cylinders which fit, time and index. Factory forcing cone is big enough to take a .45 boolit. No issues shooting factory lead 255-grain .45 Colt or .45 ACP GI hardball or handloaded H&G68 200 SWC with 5 grains of Bullseye down the .44 barrel. No leading, accuracy is great and this one revolver will shoot any ammo which falls off the tailgate of the alien spaceship. My TEOTWAWKI gun.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Uberti makes revolvers for Cimarron, as does Pietta. The Pietta's are dimensionally closer to the original Colt's than are the Uberti's, but you wouldn't know that without being told or taking a set of calipers to it. The Uberti's, having slightly larger cylinders and thus thicker cylinder walls will handle heavier loads than Pietta's or Colt's. I bought a display model Uberti Frisco 45 Colt (that's why there's a ring around the cylinder ) from a gun shop earlier this year and holy smokes it is accurate.

The very newest Uberti's are going to come with the stupid retracting firing pin safety feature. If that turns you off look for a used one or a new old stock on Gunbroker, Armslist, etc. Or if you're the handy type, replace the hammer and trigger.

I've owned a couple of Ruger SA's and they're not "cowboy" revolvers in the truest sense, IMHO. The best way I know to describe them is- They're built like tanks, they look like tanks and they feel like tanks.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Uberti makes almost ALL the "clones" out there including Cimmerons which are a good gun by the way (Cimmerons). Uberti just makes them to meet whatever spec's the importer desires. Some of those can be from the original Colt spec's with large cylinder's and bore. I have two that were made as a copy of the original black powder frame with a screw holding the base pin. Pain in the behind, the screws will come loose and fall out. The rest of the gun is excellent though. So check that kinda stuff out. Pietta makes their own rendition (also good guns) of the 1873 with their own tooling and manufacturing. I think that EAA also makes theirs or are at least they're not made by Uberti. Maybe a couple others that I don't know about as I haven't looked at them in some time. I just buy Rugers anymore. But I would say they're probably all pretty good.

Boolit Master

Interested in a 45 "cowboy" revolver

To simplify and paint with a broad brush:

If you want a realistic copy and what you see in the movies, go with an Italian clone.

Cimmaron 44 sp

If you want a tank that can take a beating and shoot hot loads, go with a Ruger Blackhawk (which is not near as realistic) or go with the ORIGINAL Vaquero (fairly realistic, but usually only found on the used market)

Blackhawk

No longer made, Original Vaquero (this one has had the Bisley grip frame slimed down)

If you want something realistic and in between the above examples, go with with Ruger’s NEW Vauero. Same size as Colt and no Hot loads.

New Vaquero current manufacture, similar in size to Colt and clones.
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 11-07-2018 at 08:18 AM.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Remember with the Italian clones ( and real Colts), you can hear and feel the traditional 4 clicks as you cock the gun with 1/2 clock loading. That’s important to many. But safely carrying all 6 loaded and easier open gate loading ( Ruger) is like by some as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Remember with the Italian clones ( and real Colts), you can hear and feel the traditional 4 clicks as you cock the gun with 1/2 clock loading. That’s important to many. But safely carrying all 6 loaded and easier open gate loading ( Ruger) is like by some as well.
    Yes, good point! I love the 4 clicks - C-O-L-T.

The Bisley frame and BH shown above have been converted to half cock, i.e. 4 clicks.

There is just something about hearing and feeling those 4 clicks vs the normal Ruger CLUNK!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Grand Master
    I have two Uberti copies of the SAA, a Navy Arms marked 5 1/2" in 32-20 and a 45 Colt with 4 1/2" barrel from Taylor's. This latter one is their "Smoke Wagon" in the deluxe version and it is the smoothest, slickest action of any single action I've encountered. Taylor's gunsmiths do an action job including jig cut sear and all new (US made) springs on these deluxe units... an upgrade I highly recommend.

Take away: My answer to your original question would be for you to get a Taylor Uberti just like mine!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I just bought a new Uberti El Patron .45 Colt
    It has the new retractable firing pin.
    Aside for the retractable firing pin possibly failing, witch my does.
    I love the gun, very accurate and will fixing the firing pin fiasco myself.
    Failure is not an Option

Vendor Sponsor

I was in a gun shop a few years back and I saw for the first time a Uberti "Old West" model and my jaw dropped!

After owning a genuine 1898 Colt SAA in 45 caliber with 4 3/4" barrel, no finish, action tighter than a new drum, (had documented cowboy history behind it from Wyoming in 1910, nicks on the barrel from busting out a window shooting at cattle rustlers, it was carried by a member of the posse that brought them in) I was THOROUGHLY impressed with how accurate and period correct the Uberti is!

I owned the real deal Colt, and this Uberti is SO FREAKIN' CLOSE to the real deal it ain't even funny! They modeled it after the 1874 "pinched frame" Colt of which only 200 were made, the Uberti has the same pinched frame rear sight, the cylinder has .4565" throats, which again is VERY period correct, the only thing that isn't faithfully copied from the 1874 "Civilian" model peacemaker is the groove diameter and the BP rifling. The Uberti has a modern .451" groove barrel. It is also very accurate.

The finish I am told is done with cyanide. They made these in 2006 I think, afaik this was the only run made, I have seen quite a bit of inconsistencies in this particular model Uberti, slightly different grip color and frame patina, they all look like old Colts, but the one I have, is the most accurate finish I have seen of these.

I missed that old Colt terribly, I kicked myself for ever letting it get away, but the Uberti stopped all that kicking, and all them regrets. I stumbled into this one from a buddy that needed some money and I got into it pretty easily.

For comparison of patina finsh and rear sight, ths is an original "pinched frame" Colt:

Here's one more original Colt:

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I hate that pinched frame. It's ok if your young and have good eyes. But if your past 60, you haven't got a chance in Hades of seeing any kind of sight picture.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Vendor Sponsor

I'm 66. Either you can shoot or you can't.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I have three SA revolvers that will fall into the catagory. One is a U.S.Pt. F.A. made from Uberti parts but fitted and finish "under the blue dome". I leave a 45 ACP cylinder in it and it is a wonderful sixgun. It is about as close to the origianal Colt civilian sixgun, as there ever be. I love to shoot it. I am 76, and with decent glasses have no problem with the old "pinched" frame.

I also have one of the first batch of Ruger Lipsey 45 Flatop sixguns. It also is a fine sixgun. To round out the collecton, I have a New Model Ruger BH, done up by Gary Reeder. Any of this will do a man for a lifetime. There are many revolvers that will meet your needs, just pick one and enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails USFA.jpg   Flatop 45.jpg   Sixgunner.com No. 5.jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Lots of nice looking guns posted here! Thanks for all the replies! I'll want to go with the traditional sight just because of the type gun it is. I have a cheapo Heritage Rough Rider 22lr with 6 1/2" barrel I bought to play with and I went with the adjustable sights on it. This one I want to be as close to the real thing as possible. I just turned 38 last month and my vision is good, hoing it stays that way a few years longer, lol. Hoping they come somewhat sighted in since they aren't adjustable other than filing or bending the front sight blade. I don't know much about doing that.

If you want a cowboy gun then buy a colt or similar if you want a tank you can Fire jusrabout anything out of the get a Ruger super Blackhawk I have one and it’s bomber hot stuff gentle stuff and accurate my two cents take it or leave it Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8421F1E8-0F60-4AAC-96AD-77B19DA5A1AB.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	230090mine looks like this one but little more use marks regardless of what you go with hope you love and enjoy it

Another strike against fixed sights are that you sometimes are limited to shooting the load that shoots to the sights. When I first got my fixed sight uberti, I thought that I made a mistake. After developing a load just for this gun, I am now happy. Be careful these guns are addicting. I went from buying my first single action to having currently 11 in a very short time. So, you will probably end up with both before it is over.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    My most used revolver is an old model original Ruger Vaquero 7-1/2" on the large frame, originally a . 44 Magnum, but I also have .44-40, .45 Colt and .45 ACP cylinders which fit, time and index. Factory forcing cone is big enough to take a .45 boolit. No issues shooting factory lead 255-grain .45 Colt or .45 ACP GI hardball or handloaded H&G68 200 SWC with 5 grains of Bullseye down the .44 barrel. No leading, accuracy is great and this one revolver will shoot any ammo which falls off the tailgate of the alien spaceship. My TEOTWAWKI gun.
    You lost me when I think I read that you shoot .45 cal bullets thru a .44 barrel??
    Do I need to refill my meds?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast