MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationPBcastcoWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Venison summer sausage

Boolit Master

Venison summer sausage

Made 10 pounds of summer sausage today with venison and ground beef,one was plain and the other was jalapeño and cheese,trying out so new seasoning from Walton’s Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39131485-87D3-463A-83AD-DC051828A6D7.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	229990

The Hobart Commercial kitchen Supply House in Omaha has a sister company called : Frisco Spices: Custom Spices & Herbs
    https://friscospices.com

They have lots of bulk spices and many premised sausage seasonings with excellent directions. My favorite summer sausage is their ' Summer Salami' I do 60 % deer trim, 20% hamburger, and 20% ground pork, it is still very lean. We also use their pepperoni seasoning for our ground jerky, then I run it thru the smoker. We have tried lots of sausage, we love this seasoning! They do mail order and have casings too.
    hc18flyer

Premeasured seasonings

Boolit Master
    thanks ill have to check them out

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E86692FF-CDFA-4B21-86B4-4BBD31C2558F.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	230056 this is the finished product,it’s been smoked on hickory to internal temp of 155 and been through it’s ice water bath. Now finish cooling the on to vacuum sealing

Banned

Ive been making at least a 100lbs of summer sausage a year for the last 15 years. tried many different seasonings and found the hands down best come from here https://www.askthemeatcutter.com/ Everyone that's tried it says its the best they've ever tried. I like mine with high temp pepper jack cheese added and I had about a 1/2 cup of brown sugar to every 10lb batch. I use 8lbs of lean venison and 2lbs of pork but (fattier the better) and one lb of high tem cheese to each 10lb batch. Even our local butcher who does deer processing and makes summer sausage will tell me without a doubt mine tastes better then his. But he buys his spices in bulk and makes his own mix to save money. Bottom line is everything the meat cutter makes and sells is top shelf. they sell it as kits that have skins, seasoning and cure that will save you money over buying it separate. I buy a 100lb kit every year and a 50lb snack stick kit. Not a big fan of snack sticks but my son and my learning disabled brother love them so I make each 20lbs and keep the other 10 for myself. Another little hint. If you haven't tried it slice some about a 1/2 thick and fry it in butter with a couple eggs. Mine with the small amount of brown sugar tastes a lot like a spicy piece of ham cooked like that. My wife isn't a big summer sausage eater but she loves it like that.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 11-08-2018 at 08:18 AM.

I love summer sausage...but I don't have enough time to make it myself. However, for a dipping sauce try equal parts sriracha and mayonnaise (adjust to your liking)...It goes fantastic with the sausage.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Makes me hungry! hc18flyer, that 60-20-20 ratio sounds great. I guess i will have try making summer sausage this year and smoke it like you do Chad5005.

Boolit Master
    we really like the taste of both of these,the regular is mild with a slight tang to it and a nice hickory smoke taste,the jalapeno and chedder is pretty spicy but not over powering,we smoked it on a pellet grill at 150 for 1 hour with the lid cracked to let it dry then 1 hour closed,upped it to 160 for a hour then 175 for a hour and finally 185 till internal temp came up to 155.on our next run we will add pepper jack to 10 pounds and mozzarella to 10 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Ive been making at least a 100lbs of summer sausage a year for the last 15 years. tried many different seasonings and found the hands down best come from here https://www.askthemeatcutter.com/ Everyone that's tried it says its the best they've ever tried. I like mine with high temp pepper jack cheese added and I had about a 1/2 cup of brown sugar to every 10lb batch. I use 8lbs of lean venison and 2lbs of pork but (fattier the better) and one lb of high tem cheese to each 10lb batch. Even our local butcher who does deer processing and makes summer sausage will tell me without a doubt mine tastes better then his. But he buys his spices in bulk and makes his own mix to save money. Bottom line is everything the meat cutter makes and sells is top shelf. they sell it as kits that have skins, seasoning and cure that will save you money over buying it separate. I buy a 100lb kit every year and a 50lb snack stick kit. Not a big fan of snack sticks but my son and my learning disabled brother love them so I make each 20lbs and keep the other 10 for myself. Another little hint. If you haven't tried it slice some about a 1/2 thick and fry it in butter with a couple eggs. Mine with the small amount of brown sugar tastes a lot like a spicy piece of ham cooked like that. My wife isn't a big summer sausage eater but she loves it like that.
    Lloyd, I'll try yours, if you try mine? Haven't added the cheese yet. hc18flyer

Banned

I guess im happy with what I use. Ive never tasted better and making it isn't cheap and takes a lot of work and time so im not much on going through all that and wishing id have stuck with what I have. If they ever stop selling it maybe then I will start experimenting. Just something easy to try in yours is adding 1/4 to 1/3 cup of brown sugar and some high temp cheese. By the way that cheese is expensive! Probably a 1/3 the price of what it takes to make it. It adds at least a buck a lb to the finished product. No big deal if your making 10lbs but when your doing a 100 or more it adds up. I try to offset it by waiting for pork but to go on sale for a buck a lb instead of the usually 2 bucks. I give away probably half what I make every year and had myself convinced I was going to leave out the cheese on half of it that I was going to give away. But I guess I had a bit to big case of pride and didn't want to give out something that wasn't as good as last year. I think some who I give some think it doesn't cost me a penny because I use free venision! But truth be told I have about 3 bucks a lb into it and that doesn't even factor the labor or the gas running back and forth to get the venison. In all reality its probably no less expensive then that crappy fatty store bought stuff. Had to chuckle about a month ago. My dad is tighter then a drum. I was at his house and he said he had some real good summer sauage he got from Walmart for 5 bucks for a 3lb tube. He gave me a slice of it and it looked about as fatty as there hamburger in a tube. I took a bite and actually spit it out in my hand. I wouldn't eat it if it was free! To him he can justify anything and talk himself into liking anything if its cheap! He probably has twice the money I do and buys his clothes at st Vincent DePaul. Hes so cheap that this will be the third year at camp he gets up every morning to go hunting and has to jump start his 4 wheeler because he sure as hell aint buying a battery just in case its wasted if he dies before he gets his moneys worth out of it. Drives 95 dodge Dakota that rusted everywhere and has had a leaking cracked exhaust manifold for 2 year that he refuses to fix. He even has a piece of tape covering the check engine light on the dash! Has enough money in his bank account to buy 6 new trucks. Im just the polar opposite of him. New truck when the warrantee expires and when I make sausage guns, loading gear or anything else I buy the best or don't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    Lloyd, I'll try yours, if you try mine? Haven't added the cheese yet. hc18flyer
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 11-09-2018 at 07:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    lol your dad sounds like a friend of mine,squeaks when he walks,im like you either im gonna do it right or not do it,were already getting things ready for the next batch of summer sausage with pepper jack cheese and some very mild breakfast sausage with wild pork.you are right on the expensive to make also,i didn't add this batch up but im sure 3 a lb is close,the processors that make it charge 10-12 a pound for it
    Last edited by Chad5005; 11-09-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Boolit Master
    the last pick of the summer sausage lolClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0832[4123].jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	230262

I'll bring the cold beer! hc18flyer

Banned

looks tasty chad

Boolit Master
    cold beer would go nice with it lol,thanks Lloyd it is pretty good,next batch is jalapeno and pepper jack

Banned

If your new to it one bit of advice is don't overcook it. Some say 180 some say 160. In fact at 145 your meat is safe. I go to 150 to take into account variations in meat thermometers and most times use two to verify it. I got distracted this year and my first batch sat in there a bit to long and was about a 160 when I took it out and it dried out a lot more then I would have liked.