RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: WTB 8x57JR, Brass, Rounds, or Bullets

Boolit Master

WTB 8x57JR, Brass, Rounds, or Bullets

Taking a shot in the dark with this. Brother just bought a 16x16x8x57JR. Trying to help him shoot it.

Let me know.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master
    JRS brass should work, only difference is bullet diameter. Slug the rifle barrel, bullets (.318) may be an issue if you want jacketed, cast shouldn't be a problem. May need to turn down the expander button on an M die if the neck is over expanded by the standard die. Check the markings on the barrels or measure chamber length for the shotgun, may not be 2 3/4 in chambers. Odd length shells may be an issue or a good gunsmith can lengthen to 2 3/4.

It can be tough to find 8x57R or 7x57R brass, but if you're reloading for it did you know that you can reform .303 British cases in your 8x57 dies using a .303 British shell holder? There are a lot of Brno O&U combination guns in my area chambered for 12ga x 7x57R and the easy fix when it was tough to find ammo or brass was to reform .303 Brit brass and then load them with appropriate 7mm bullets. You could do the same for your brother's 8x57R drilling.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    ive got some old berdan primed cases (hirtenberger iirc) if your interested
    don't remember how many, less than 20

Sellier & Bellot still sells ammo for the 8X57JR that uses the correct .318 diameter bullet. Slugging the barrel will tell how close this bullet diameter comes to the original bore (the 8X57JRS uses the .323, 8mm bullet). Do not use the .323 bullet unless you have "slugged" the bore; for if you fire the larger bullet, your "finely made" firearm will be no more! You can resize a .323 bullet by lubing it and "driving" it through a .318 sizing die (Lee can make you one). A lead mold in 175 to 200 grain design can be bought from some of the "specialty" company distributors. The original Norma loading for the 8X57JR utilized a 196gr RN jacketed bullet at 2362fps and 37,300 CUP of pressure, where as the 8X57JRS boosted the pressure to 39,500 CUP (app). Some European companies (Kreighoff and Merkell among them) still sell double rifles and drillings in 8X57JRS, but have not marketed the .318 bore in many, many years. Most of the older 8X57JR's that I've seen in recent years were made Prior to WWII. They are precisely made firearms designed for the hunter who have the opportunity to take "fur and fowl" on the same hunt and not made for high volume target shooting or high velocity experimentation. BTW, RWS (possibly) still makes the correct brass for the 8X57JR. I've not tried using .303 British cases because I've got a sufficient supply of brass, but It sounds like a very interesting project! Good luck!

Boolit Master

I have 60 pcs of new virgin 7x57r brass. I believe it’s Norma.
    Hornsurgeon's Feedback Thread

a woman's scorn will come and go but a fine rifle will last forever.

Boolit Buddy
    lots of good advice here I have 43 pieces of once fired S&B 7x57R but it's not the best option these days. I do recommended the 8x57JR Sellier & Bellot ammo It shoots well. Seems out of stock right now. Buffalo arms sells .318 bullets. They appear resized upon inspection but they are a good source for odd stuff.
    Grafs has prvi 8x57jrs brass for $32 for 50. Id probably go with that. Some people use a regular rcbs 8x57 set and leave out the expander or use a .318 expander button.

Look around a little for the 8x57JR sellier and bellot. It's only like $20-25 a box normally. You might find some. Be careful because they make the JRS Too!!!!

Boolit Master

Thanks all. Brother got it sighted in with two rounds. Decided to wait and buy a few more loaded rounds. Kaiser is right, Not for high volume target shooting.

He can deer hunt with what he has left.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Found some .321 Hornady #3210 170 grain. Looks like near 200. If interested I would count them.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.