MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: What alloy for fast speeds?

What alloy for fast speeds?

I would like to experiment with harder alloys for a rifle boolit that I can hopefully push to high speeds. Why? Because it is fun and interesting to play with this stuff. I came into a generous supply of lino, and I also have on hand pure, COWWs, and pewter. The boolit I have in mind is the Lee 30 cal soup can. Cast out of 94-3-3 and air cooled, this boolit is very, very accurate and tight grouping at 100 yards with a modest charge of Unique and does perhaps 1600 FPS out of my 30-06. Lyman #4 lists loads that have this boolit zipping along at way over 2000 FPS and I wonder if I can do something similar if I change my alloy and perhaps powder coat it. The rifle in question has a 1 in 11" twist. So should I try 90-5-5 (Lyman #2 alloy), 92-6-2 (modern substitute for original Lyman #2), a higher ratio of lino, something else?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Water drop it! 94-3-3 works great over 2000fps
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master
    I use clip on wheel weights with a little added tin and get 2400fps with accuracy after I Hi-Tec coat them. Fit and barrel twist mean more in my view. Regards Stephen

Banned

anything from water dropped ww to straight lino to 5050 lino/ww works fine. Your group size will tell you which your gun prefers.

Boolit Master

I'm using Lyman #2 PC'd with Smoke's Clear for both .308 Win and 7.5x55 Swiss at around 2100 fps. Off sandbags, 2 1/2"-3" groups (10 shots) from my Savage M10LE @ 200 yds and about the same at 100 yds from the K31 using issue sights.

Bill

(For some reason, pic is rotated 90 deg. Tried rotating file on my desktop but still off 90 deg. when attached to post??)

200 yd. group shot off sandbags w/Savage M10LE (24" barrel), Weaver 3-15X50 'tactical' scope. Load is Arsenal 30-188PC/Smoke's Clear over 31.0 gr. H4895 in FC milsurp cases. Avg MV 2160 fps (10-shot string). Max. spread: 2.72"
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 10-31-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Added Pic
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    These are ten+ years old Lyman 311679 boolits, 50/50 WW/Monotype. BHN still 16-18.

I made a bunch for subsonic 308 use,the project is still going on. Switched to J back then.

I might as well coat these now and load faster, I have no idea why I used this hard an alloy for subsonics. Maybe I was even more stupid than I am now?

Attachment 229718

Boolit Buddy
    IMHO you are on the right track with the soup can. The shorter, squat boolits with water quenching should get to 2000+ fps easily. May not hold up at longer distances but a good place to start on HV. You can use a good lube and do very well or you can use HiTek or powder coat, your preference

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Yes, I also think if you PC them you should be on the right track.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin