RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Any one shooting cast boolits in a 256 win mag?

Boolit Buddy

Any one shooting cast boolits in a 256 win mag?

I picked up a 256 win mag in a 12" bullberry barrel for my contender. Just wondering if anyone is haveing good results with cast boolits in this caliber. Not looking for any concrete load data but what boolit and powder you perfer.

What this to be a fun low cost 100 yd plinking and varmint getter so I would like to strive for 1 1/2 inch groups at this range. I have been working with a 14" barrel from MGM in 32/20 it shoots jacketed bullets with 3/4 inch groups at 100 yds but I haven't squeezed the cast boolits down too below 2" yet with the boolits I've worked with.

Oh the joys of pouring and shooting one's own boolits seems to be a frustrating / fascinating trail we wonder.

Thanks mike

I tried that with fairly poor results. Hopefully you can get yours working better than I could. It was a tack driver with 75gr Speer bullets but never did anything with cast. I decided it was the throat design. If it had a proper rifle type throat I suspect it would have been better. But I sold it off before I got too carried away with it.

Boolit Master

I had a 10" Bullberry in .256. Great shooter. I used it for plinking on the 100 yard berm off sandbags while I was in my Contender mode.
    Think I have cast data I can share if you want to PM me and arrange exchange of e-mail addresses.
    Getting good cases is the challenge. Forming from unplated .357s is the way I went.
    As I recall, all I had at the time was the Lyman 257420 mould but it was deadly on pop cans at 100 yards./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

Yap 257420 is a good boolit in 256 WM, I've had a 256 contender barrel for over 30 years.
    Just about any SG/ pistol powder works good.
    The "Complete Reloading Manual for Contender" published by Loadbooks USA is a good load book to have around.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    Following with interest, I've had a 10" TC and a 24 " TC for 30years. Had a Ranch dog 80gr mold for a couple years. Need a rountuit!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    The only J-word I could get accurate out of my 10" Contender barrel was a 75 gr. flat nose. Even an 87 gr. spitzer wouldn't stabilize. The two 25 cal. molds I had on hand were a 90 and 120 gr. Didn't see any reason to continue with that slow of a twist.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    I've got a 14" custom shop contender barrel and I shoot the 257420 in it. No complaints on performance. I think Bullberry throats for jacketed bullets, if you want to shoot cast you have to tell him.

Boolit Buddy

That's for the info guys and gals. Sorry for delaying any response but deer season interrupted my projects. I ordered a mold for the Lee custom closeout about a month ago but haven't received it as of yet and I accidentally deleted the order. I hope it went thru it was for a 258-85- fp mold.
    Last edited by Kylongrifle32; 11-30-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Boolit Bub
    The 257420 Lyman is an excellent bullet. As is the 84 gr ranchdog.

Noe has the 84 gr Ranch Dog now and Arsenal has the 257420 in multi cavity molds.

Noe is adding a 257420 with a boattail in their lineup. Arsenal has either gc base or boat tail.

NOE also has a 110 spire point that is exceptionally accurate. I decked one of these molds to throw a 80 grain spitzer that will poring under a half inch at 100 all day long in a custom Talon/Dor 4500 psi pressure air gun. Many groups under 1/4" Thinking of sending it to Eric at Hollow Point Mold service for HP work. He has already done my 257420 and 84 gr NOE Ranch Dogs.

Pic is the 84 grain NOE RanchDog converted to 80 gr. hp by Eric at Hollow Point Mold Service.

KnifeMaker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02080.jpg  
    Last edited by LongRangeAir; 12-03-2018 at 12:12 PM.