WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deer- What do you do with it?

Moderator Emeritus

Yeah we always had a crew butchering... at least 4 people, most of the time 6-8... can break a deer down FAST that way.

Banned

my dog watches Mary and snatches up anything that hits the floor. that's about all the help I get other then volunteers to help empty the freezer and lining up for free summer sausage

Boolit Grand Master

What can you do with deer ? Well let's see...you can
    Broil it , pan fry it , chicken fry it , cook it in the slow cooker , in the smoker , on the grill , venison Shish Kabobs on the grill or in the oven , make jerky , fix a nice sauce picante' , fricassee it , fix venison Creole , venison stew , smothered venison chops , use ground venison to make Chili , Red Gravy and meat sauce , stuffed bell peppers , you can make sausage , fix venison Gumbo , meat loaf, smoked meat loaf , Grillades and Grits , Jambalaya , venison pork and beans , Venison and Vegetable Soup...... I'm flashing back to Bubba Gump and fixing Shrimp...
    These are the ways I have personally cooked venison....I know there are a lot more ways .

In Louisiana every family has a hunting camp ....and the limit on deer is six per man , woman and child.
    Daddy , Mamma and every child 16 years old , gets a hunting permit with 6 tags.....This is how you fill your freezer with meat...until Duck Season rolls around...
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Wife and I do all our deer which is 95% of the meat we eat save for the occasional Beef rib steak or pork we BBQ. I bone them out and we save the backstraps, tenderloins, and the top of the hind quarters for steaks and everything else we will either grind or save some chunks for stew or chili.
    I do not vacuum seal as I discovered that lean red meat freezes really well. Just found a pack of bison that was 3.5 years old wrapped in white freezer paper and it looked as good (and tasted) as good as when we processed it.
    East Tennessee

I learned a lot here reading all these posts. One thing I do is make jerky from the hamburger which never has pork or anything else in it. Roll out the burger meat to about a quarter inch thick and use a sharp biscuit cutter and place on dehydrator rack. Never make pork, bear, or coon jerky because of tricinosis. I season the burger meat and pack it tight in a bowl, put in refrigerator for twentyfour hours. The juices will come out of the meat at first and go back into the meat after that long in the fridge. When you take out the last layer out of the bowl there will be no bloody liquid in the bottom . Fresh chopped jalapenos added to jerky can cause you problems with spoilage. Dehydrate the green chili or jalapenos until completely dry and grind to powder and you have good green colored pepper for seasoning.

Boolit Master
    How do you folks stuff burger into those tube style plastic bags? I bought some 1 pound bags and tried using the 2 inch wide attachment on my grinder today and it was pretty tedious and slow going. We ended up stuffing them by hand.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 11-16-2018 at 11:55 PM.
    East Tennessee

Moderator Emeritus

I stuff burger in sandwich baggies for size. That gives me between 1- 1 1/4 lbs. Everything then gets wrapped with coated butcher paper.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

i use them but you need a vertical stuffer to stuff them properly. Trick is to pack them tight with no air and you just cant do that without a stuffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    How do you folks stuff burger into those tube style plastic bags? I bought some 1 pound bags and tried using the 2 inch wide attachment on my grinder today and it was pretty tedious and slow going. We ended up stuffing them by hand.

Boolit Master

Butcher my own at home and pressure can it to enjoy all year.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday, I canned some smoked Venison.

Attachment 230807

I put about 20 minutes of cold smoke on it.
    Attachment 230808

Then put in Jars and processed.
    Attachment 230809
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

JonB A picture is worth a whole bunch of words and I see some mighty good looking meat there. Could you please tell how you do the canning in detail? Like how to sterilize the jars, and do you add water to the meat ? Are the jars submerged in water in the pressure cooker? You know , stuff like that. Thank you Sir.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123