RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor with N110 - has someone done this?

Boolit Master

6.5 Creedmoor with N110 - has someone done this?

Hey guys,
    I´m transforming .308 Winchester cases into 6.5 Creedmoor.
    After the swagging process I want to do some fire forming to print out the edges.

Therefore I want to try a pet load with N110 and some 140gr. copper platted bullets from H&N (Germany).

The problem is, H&N says that you shall not go over 1400fps, what would mean I had to go with about 12gr. of N110.
    This would fill my case only for round about 30%.

Quickload says with 12gr. of N110:
    1439fps
    11983psi

I never had such a reduced load.
    Will this be safe?
    "In lead we trust!"

Boolit Master

Its fine. May or may not be accurate. Try a few shots at 50 yards. I shoot the 260 Rem that is very similar to the Creedmoor. My velocities are around 1500 to 1600 fps.

N110 is fast riffle powder up there with 2400. I use 2400 for target loads. Small charges get wonky with slow powders and are fine with faster powders.

Did you anneal those cases after resizing them? If not i recommend it to relieve stress and anneal the hardness induced from working the brass. I split a lot of case necks making grendel brass till i etarted annealing. Also anneal again after the fire form. Then your set for a while. Dont forget to trim. Brass flows.

Also keep in mind your quickloads prediction could have a plus or minus. My .270 always shoots 100 fps faster and my .260 Rem shoots 50 fps slower than Quickloads predicts. Atleast its consistent.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Thank you sir, I appreciate it.

I will do as you adviced.
    I just started with swagging, with a .284 Win. neck sizing die which I borrowed from a friend, still waiting for the 6.5 CM dies to be delivered.
    I thought it might be a good thing to swag in two steps.

Unfortunately the .284 die is somewhat to long, the shoulder stands above like .15", almost untouched from the start in .308 Win.
    Now I´m thinking about to get me a .284 Win die on my own and cut it down somewhat above .1" or so.

Before I swag more, I will anneal the brass like you mentioned.

How do you short the brass that much?
    I´m having a RCBS trim pro here, but shorten those cases for .15" or almost .2" scares me a bit.

Cheers from Germany,
    Jo
    "In lead we trust!"

Boolit Master

If you have a trimmer set it up to trim to the published Min brass length. I use the Lee handheld trimmer.

I am not familiar with the .284 Win. I would really wait till you got the Creedmoor die. To move your shoulder back that far you would need to shave the shell holder or bottom of the die.

Most cartridges based on the .308 cases have the same headspace and shoulders. Just different neck diameter. The 6.5 Creedmoor has different dimensions and has more powder capacity.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    If you have a trimmer set it up to trim to the published Min brass length. I use the Lee handheld trimmer.

I am not familiar with the .284 Win. I would really wait till you got the Creedmoor die. To move your shoulder back that far you would need to shave the shell holder or bottom of the die.

Most cartridges based on the .308 cases have the same headspace and shoulders. Just different neck diameter. The 6.5 Creedmoor has different dimensions and has more powder capacity.

I think you meant to say "less" powder capacity than the whole 308 family of cartridges. 243-260-7-08 and 308 all hold more water. The parent case for the Creedmoor was the 30TC, that die would get the 308 shoulder pushed back within about .020 of 6.5CM location, may help. I like this little 6.5 CM cartridge, haven't shot anything but paper and one coyote with it though.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Hmm your right. The .260 Rem does hold a little bit more.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I have made CM brass out of 22-250. Works real well, easy to do. The downside is a slightly shorter neck. I run the brass into a LEE 6.5 CM sizing die after I anneal the brass. Can be done without the anneal, expect to see a few split necks. Fireform and you are ready to go.

Boolit Master
    After forming, loading, shooting and handling the 6.5CM for a while now, I´d say the .260 Remington is the better cartridge in performance, and I´m a bit angry about myself not doing more knowledge searching about the cartridge before.

I was a bit blinded by the 6.5 CM hype beating the .308 Winchester, which was the competitor in chosing a rifle.
    Not noticing, that there is already a caliber around for a while which outperforms the 6.5 CM.

Well, the 6.5 CM is not a bad round at all, and I think that there will be much more cases around in the future.

Anyways, thanks for your support on infos guys!
    "In lead we trust!"

I really enjoy the Creedmoor but never managed to get it to shoot cast boolits accurately with any consistency. I would get a few groups that looked promising but next range trip the same load was all over the board.

Did you find a cast load that worked in your rifle? If so, inquiring minds wanna know ��
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Banned

is anyone making an inexpensive 260 upper (under 500 bucks)

If you could get a barrel with a slower twist , 1-10 or so The CM might make a decent cast bullet gun, but with these 1 to 7 and 1 to 8 barrels velocities have to be very low to retain accuracy.
    In my opinion the 260 is the better of the two cartridges because they run it at about 10,000 psi less than the Creedmore. Even better is the 6.5x55 in a modern action.

Brodie

How correct you are! Between the cartridge design and twist rate that’s a project I failed at miserably. Sadly, with the 1:8 twist of my Creedmoor I spent multiple months trying to sort out a load that would shoot consistently. I managed to enlisted the help of a couple “learned elders” from this site who were even kind enough to send boolits to try - still no love!

The crazy part is the Creedmoor will shoot jacketed into “bug holes” but wouldn't consistently shoot cast regardless of velocity, powder choice, filler, etc… Just to make matters worse it was my first attempt at getting cast to shoot in a rifle - I almost gave up entirely on the idea.

I did eventually give cast in rifles another try and have found moderate success with 30 and 35 calibers which keeps me coming back. My latest grand adventure in 6.5 cast is the 264 Win Mag with a 1:9 twist. I’ve only made one range trip so far but the results were encouraging! If, and that’s a big “If”, I sort out the 264 I’ll post about it.

I’m still trying to find someone who managed to get the Creedmoor to shoot cast and I haven’t found them… yet.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Master
    Coming back to this topic.
    I was still not able to send weak bullets down that barrel, though it shoots FMJs under .25 MOA if I do my part.

I´ve just found this old thread again while searching for some loads.
    Haven´t seen the latest posts before.

But as stated above, it is a 1:8" twist and I have ordered a NOE 140gr. mold two days ago.

@Rainier:
    Have you slugged your barrel?
    Did you try to vary the bullet dia?

@all:
    Regarding the twist, will a lighter (shorter) are o heavier (longer) bullet help in this?
    "In lead we trust!"