Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: 40-50 Sharps Straight- Marlin 336- Win 94

Boolit Buddy

40-50 Sharps Straight- Marlin 336- Win 94

Ive been thinking about putting a 40-50 Sharps Straight round into either a Marlin 336 action or a Win 94 action....Thoughts.....appreciated...…..Psi....35, 000-40,000 PSI....OAL within a 0.1 (tenth)…..rim diameter.....very close maybe a little trimming (thousandths)……..the ability for a 350- 400 grain lead booolit…….

Vendor Sponsor

444 Marlin is the action I would look into. The case head is in the ballpark. I have no idea how easy or hard this could turn out to be.

-OR-

Maybe just barrel or line a 444 to a faster twist and shoot those 350-400 grain bullets in it?

Any number of mold makers can produce the molds.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

An other thought is to get a reproduction 1895 Winchester - 405 Win

out of the box, ready to go.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

There are some issues with 40-50SS. I got a Shiloh last year in that caliber but you have to jump through some hoops to make brass for it. With the .408 barrels and using either 30-40 Krag or .303 Brit brass as the parent case you will need to ream the case neck in order to get the loaded rounds to chamber with a groove size GG boolit. The case walls are too thick after you cut the brass to length.
    Having said that it is a fun round after you get past the brass forming stage. I have used mine for mid-range, silhouette, and deer hunting. It is a little light for the 500M rams but easy on powder, lead, and recoil.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    With the .408 barrels and using either 30-40 Krag or .303 Brit brass as the parent case you will need to ream the case neck in order to get the loaded rounds to chamber with a groove size GG boolit. The case walls are too thick after you cut the brass to length.
    Hmmm ... interesting comment. One of my ongoing projects (and I have far too many all going on at once!) is a Remington Hepburn in .40-50 SS. I've fire-formed about 100 + rounds of shortened .303 British brass with blank charges and cornmeal filler, but haven't had a chance to seat a .410" bullet in a case yet to see if it will chamber comfortably or not. I have a batch of 300 grain RCBS bullets cast, but haven't lubed and sized them at this point, so I haven't test loaded a dummy round yet to check chamber fit. Now you have me wondering if I'll have to neck ream or neck turn ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    Good looking Hepburn...….I thought about the 405 in and 1895......I keep getting drawn back to a Marlin 336 action......Oddly enough I like the idea of making the brass from 303 brass...… I don't forsee any pressure issues but Im not sure about feeding?

I shortened up my .303 brass with my Forster drill press trimmer at slightly longer than 1 7/8" and then annealed them, primed them, loaded 8.5 grains of Nitro Trap 100 (since I have lots of it), pressed in a 1/4 sheet of toilet tissue with a wooden dowel, filled with bulk yellow cornmeal to the case mouth, and pressed in another 1/4 sheet of toilet tissue to hold it all in place. I fire form at the range and they snap right out. Now I need to lube and size some of those 300 grain RCBS boolits and try loading a dummy round to see if it will chamber with a .410" bullet seated in the shortened cases.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Did a check with uncle "google",
    1894 Winchester uses a .809 dia, 20 pitch vee thread, indicating minor thread diameter ~.750"
    Marlin 336 is a 12 pitch square thread with a minor diameter of .720"
    So looks like a little more meat on the Winchester shank.
    Big Bore '94s used a .875 od thread.

Boolit Buddy
    Great info.... that's why I posted this question here

Boolit Buddy
    Even crossed my mind if I could get by the 0.1 issue with short brass and seating a little deeper for COL.....definitely wouldn't hot rod it

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a fan of the 40-50 SS and have thought of such a conversion but thought I might run into feeding issues. You should look into the 405 JES. It's about .175 longer than the 40-50 and uses cut down 444 Marlin cases. JES rebores your existing barrel for it and opens up the ejection port for a reasonable price. Check it out.

Boolit Master

Rev Al - few things make me jealous anymore, your rifle is one of them. What power Unertl? I have a 20x on my 38-55. Thanks for posting pics

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    Rev Al - few things make me jealous anymore, your rifle is one of them. What power Unertl? I have a 20x on my 38-55. Thanks for posting pics

Thanks ... it's a 15 power and I have two of them which get switched back and forth between several different rifles. (Such as that 28" heavy barrel 98 Mauser in .30-06 in the photo.) I had a 24 power several years back and foolishly let myself be talked out of it by a friend. Got a decent price for it at the time, which is about 1/2 of what it would take to replace it today!
    Last edited by Reverend Al; 11-08-2018 at 01:27 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    Hmmm ... interesting comment. One of my ongoing projects (and I have far too many all going on at once!) is a Remington Hepburn in .40-50 SS. I've fire-formed about 100 + rounds of shortened .303 British brass with blank charges and cornmeal filler, but haven't had a chance to seat a .410" bullet in a case yet to see if it will chamber comfortably or not. I have a batch of 300 grain RCBS bullets cast, but haven't lubed and sized them at this point, so I haven't test loaded a dummy round yet to check chamber fit. Now you have me wondering if I'll have to neck ream or neck turn ...

I went with reaming since that seemed to be the cheapest way to go and the turning seemed like it is more for a bottleneck case. Of course a lot depends on the reamer used for your chamber. I believe that Shiloh uses the PTG reamer.
    If you find that you need to ream the cases I made an adapter for both the Lyman and RCBS trimmers that fit the Forster .410 reamer. You are welcome to borrow either. I tried using my RCBS power trimmer but it was too big a cut for that motor and had to ream them by hand, a real PIA. I have 200 cases now so that should keep me busy.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

My Hepburn was factory chambered for the .40-50 SS and for paper patched bullets, so if I'm lucky the chamber might be a bit generous and accept a shortened .303 case with a full diameter .410" boolit. I'll just have to try seating a dummy round and see what happens ...