WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: 416 Taylor for long range?

Boolit Master

416 Taylor for long range?

Lehigh bullets are getting attractive in price for the caliber. It has me wondering about setting up a long range rifle in a 416. Like a way oversized 6 dasher or 6.5 grendel. The BC claimed is high, but if true, stays supersonic to 1800 yards @ 2400 fps muzzle velocity.

The recoil energy is quite high though. Not double 338 lapua, but it's more than 150%.

The question is, for 416 taylor shooters, do you figure you could set up a rifle in it on a bipod with a brake for some long range shooting with a suitable bullet? Or do you think the recoil at full snot is just too high? ELR for such an animal would not allow for downloading without sacrificing overall range.

What do you guys think?

In Remembrance

It depends what weight bullet you are talking about for the Taylor. Usually there is only a 400 gr. or slightly heavier bullet available for heavy shooting. I`ve shot about every jacketed bullet available to we common folk thru my Taylor and out to 200 yds., the farthest distance on my range. In my Shilen barreled Win. M 70 controled feed rifle I have settled on a 350 gr. bullet from about any maker for that sort of need. For lead shooting I enjoy the RCBS mold or several other custom made molds with weights of up to 400 gr. I am not a hyper long distance shooter, never have, but I wish you well in your quest.

I see the miltary is using a .416 cal. rifle for long range sniping, wonder what that bullet weighs in at, I see it is a very large case.Robert

Robert I think you are talking about the 416 Barrett. It is a 50 BMG necked down to 416. It makes the 416 Taylor look wimpy - which it is certainly not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That’s an understatement! Lol!

Both of those 416’s are pretty whompus! ........ It’s just that the Barrett is REALLY whompus!

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Master

Bullet would be 420 grains

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/93...free-box-of-20

This is the only choice that isn't well over $2 a piece. $1.50 is "okay". Not great, but "okay". But I'm after a 416 for other reasons too, so if it makes sense in terms of possibility, I want to try it.

As a reference, I have a 510 wells express right now. It's a copy of 510 peacekeeper. More specifically, the peacekeeper is a copy of the 510 wells express. For a 12 pound rifle, there is NO WAY that rifle can be set up for long range. It fires m33 ball at something like 2200 fps using 98ish grains of H4350. The recoil energy is approaching 120 foot pounds. It breaks stocks like splitting firewood. Only a lunatic would try shooting it from prone.

A 416 taylor shooting 420 grain bullets at 2400 fps (which should reach 1800 yards supersonic if the BC really is >0.9) has 70 ft pounds of recoil energy. Unfortunately my closest experience to that is a 338 lapua which recoiled with 40 ft lb of energy. But the 338 was an absolute pussycat with the brake, so it has me wondering if the taylor can be made to work.

Even the BMG is around 45 ft lb if you make the gun over 30 lb. So it makes me question....

The .416 Weatherby shares basic brass with your Peacekeeper (.378 Wby) so you might go that route. But if you are shooting paper or steel- not armored vehicles- maybe a nice sedate 7mm RUM with the latest Wonderbullets would do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I'm almost there with a 243 win. I could get there I believe, with a 280 AI. Easily with a bigger case. There's also the 338 lap.

Why 416? Because I want one! If it can do it. Has to be a Taylor case due to the OAL involved. So, already DQ'ed the Weatherby, Rem mag, Rigby, etc etc etc. Besides. If I'm concerned about recoil with the taylor, then those are definitely a non starter!

(I do have 416 wetherby cases I opened up to 50. it can be done)

I'd think you might have trouble pushing a 420 to 2400 in a Taylor. My own Taylor can do it with a 400 but it's really hard on the brass at that level. 2300 is much more realistic for normal use. It is super accurate and will shoot far, but I don't want to do it off the bench. Also keep in mind that it's really hard on large scopes that would be used for that kind of thing. I tried that and finally went to a much smaller one that so far is holding up well.

Boolit Master

How long is your barrel? Thanks for your input. Every loss up front is loss downrange.

Boolit Master

Can you get ELD or other premium target bullets in 416? That and recoil should be the only major limitations.

In Remembrance

Perhaps a bullet along the lines of the all copper Barnes design might work. I make my Taylor brass from Hornady 45 Mag. Basic brass. I cut the case down and neck it down before final trimming to correct Taylor case dimension of length. I`ve heard that those Barrett .416 bullets are lathe turned and are within 1 gr. weight difference of each other, and are costly as sin to make! I shot the Barnes 400 gr. solids on my 200 yd. range at max manual loading and got nice groups for such a heavy bullet, then again I wasn`t planning on long distance elephant shooting. My old shoulder bones won`t let me do alot of range work anymore with my Taylor and `J` loads, so I use lead loads alot anymore.Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    How long is your barrel? Thanks for your input. Every loss up front is loss downrange.
    22 inches.