RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Favorite pheasant recipes

Favorite pheasant recipes

My lab and I have had a great pheasant hunting season so far. Our hunting partners don’t want to take any of the meat. So, we are stocking the freezer. Does anyone have a favorite pheasant recipe that they are willing to share? Thanks in advance!

Moderator Emeritus

We always put the breast in a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup and let it cook down. Served over wild rice...

Boolit Buddy
    I put celery & onion in the body cavities and smoke them.

Boolit Master
    Pheasant pot pie.

Vendor Sponsor

I used Emiril's recipe found on Food Network, combined with tips from another recipe to develop my own, but basically I made a white wine and chicken broth liquid about 1 1/2" deep in the pot, stuffed the bird with coarse chopped onion, celery, carrot, and half an orange. Sprinkled Bell's Seasoning over the top, completely covered the bird with bacon slices and roast at 375 until the leg joint moves easily. Another trick I used was to melt some butter and mix in a teaspoon of Herbs de Provence, and then refrigerate the butter to solidify it. I lifted the skin and put a thick pat of this seasoned butter on each breast before roasting.

Just going to toss up a few pics from a couple of Thanksgiving meals where we had roast pheasant, the photos are from different years, but basically the same recipe, stuff the bird, season the skin, put herbed butter under the skin, cover with bacon, fill the baking dish 1" to 1 1/2" with white wine and chicken broth, bake..

Edit: Scrape all the browned bits off the baking dish and incorporate those, with pan drippings and make gravy, SHEESH!! Nothing touches this gravy! It is outta this world good!

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Put whole bird in slow cooker with a quart of homemade sauerkraut,serve with mashed potatoes. Finger licken good.

Boolit Master
    Cut the bird up into bite sized boneless chunks...quick fry in a frying pan with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and garlic. Serve as appetizers hot....using toothpicks for utensils....Or make a lunch or dinner of it. It is that good.