MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Chinese Soup made with bone broth

Boolit Master

Chinese Soup made with bone broth

I got a pressure cooker a few years ago and it has become my second favorite cooking method after the wood fire. About a year ago, I started making bone broth by packing the pressure cooker to the max fill line with as many bones as possible, covering them with water and cooking them under pressure for an hour. The result is an amazing broth that can be used for all kinds of soups and stews, plus it salvages that last bit of meat on necks, ribs, etc, speeding up my boning because I'm not worried about that last scrap of meat.

My favorite soup recipie starts with the bone broth then I add:

Garlic
    Ginger
    Chinese 5 spice (they are in the 5 spice, but extra fennel, and star anise are nice)
    Bay leaves
    Dried chilies as desired
    Schezuan peppercorns (a unique numbing flavor, go easy to start!)
    Bean paste (essential in building that super rich flavor!)
    A few tablespoons of sugar

Chinese noodles, (angel hair pasta works well, too!)

Almost any handy vegetable you would enjoy in a soup:
    Potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, bamboo shoots, cabbage, kale, radishes, mushrooms, sweet peppers, etc

Perfect for a winter night!

Boolit Buddy
    Works with chicken thighs, leftover turkey carcass, etc. Fill crockot or pressure cooker with left overs. Cook till it falls apart. Strain, freeze in small portions. Use as needed in other dishes instead of water. Gelatin released from bone and tissue works almost as a thickener if you let it cook down enough. Yes, it will look like Jello when it has cooled Canning jars make great freezer containers and we have not had any issues with them in the micro.
    Try the chicken broth with rice a roni - 1/2 long grained rice, 1/2 soup pasta or broken angle hair, fry in a bit of olive oil, a bit of fresh or dried garlic/onion does not hurt. Add broth to cover, stir, add, broth stir, have a sip of beer, add ..... Liquid depends on how much rice/pasta absorbs. Keep an eye on it, stir after 5-7 minutes, reduce heat to low and keep adding broth until it does not absorb any more. Sounds convaluted but you will have it down pat at the second time.

Both recipes sound delicious.