Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was thinking about my journey with priming.

Boolit Bub
    A lot of variables rim thickness, pocket depth , the primer needs to seat and then you need to swage it a bit.

I as others have used several types of priming systems. I don't like primers in tubes. A bit to much rattling around and priming compound sifts out and can collect in the tube and get set off. Then the whole tube blows.
    I like the Lyman priming system as used on the 310 tool. A bit slow but you can actually see what is happening.
    I tried the original Lee round tray and loved it. The only thing I didn't like was the handle pivoted wrong. When the came out with the Ergo-Prime I got one of those, much easier on the hands.
    When Lee brought out their bench prime I deliberated for quite a awhile before trying one. Best money I ever spent. Dump the primers in, shake. close, install and prime away.
    I did have a few problems at first but soon realized that if a let the handle jump back up on it's own, it jiggled the primers enough to feed right.
    Since then no problems.
    Leo

Boolit Man
    30 some yrs ago I started with a Rockchucker with auto prime and liked press priming over hand priming. A couple yrs later I went to a Lyman ST turret with the auto prime and still use it...and definitely don't plan on changing to hand priming.

Boolit Master
    For pistol I prime on the 550b. For rifle I prime on a Lyman AA by hand placing a primer in the primer punch cup. I takes almost no extra time as I dump a box of primers on the primer flipper and then insert them on the primer punch as the ram goes up to size and decap. Ram comes down to prime and on to the next step. The AA press has a primer punch that is very easy to access and primes at the bottom of the ram stroke so no extra ram movement to seat primer, raise ram to release primer arm and then lower ram. It's my favorite press for loading one round at a time.

Enjoyed this read,,,

My rockchucker has been priming all my shells one at a time for 25+ years. Its a pain to load them one at a time to prime, but I always knew it was in the casing. Keeping my fingers clean and hoping I dont foul the primer with case lube off the casings as I handle them one at a time.

I fairly recently got a LNL progressive. I hate the feel of the primer going in on the down stroke of the turret. I swear every 3rd or 4th shell didnt prime, I find myself pulling out a lot of casings to look to see if it is primed, they always are. Well they always are, unless I dont notice I ran out of primers.

I have never used a hand primer, dont know why I never tried one. Probably the money

Boolit Master

Two things I’ve learned about priming: 1. A little grease on the friction points of a Lee priming tool, especially the cam, makes easier to use and it will last much longer. 2. If the bench for a progressive press is not very stiff and mounted to a wall or is otherwise immovable primers will flip within the press.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    I have a few of the lee auto primers I think they may be called. It is a die body that holds a reg shell holder on top primers are feed by a ramp/tube with a tray on the end which doubles as the flipper tray. They come with a large and small feed ramps and rams also a punch fits in the ram where the shell holder normally goes that pushes the primer up in the case. As long as you make sure the primers are feeding/tube is full they work very well and I can feel them seat using my little lee press the smallest on they make that mounts.
    They no longer make them that I know of and been lucky enough to get a few over the years in estate sales.
    Probably the AutoprimeII which I still use and like.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master
    Press prime —> ram prime on press —> APS off press system—> RCBS Universal hand priming tool—> LEE Auto Bench Prime, my latest and favourite.

Boolit Master
    I am reloading for precision not speed and I find priming on the Co-ax gives me the most feel and consistent priming.

Started with the Lee whack a mole in 222 Rem. Then primed with my Rockchucker, but now my RCBS Bench primer.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 0802 View Post
    Any experiences with the T7 priming system?

I'm getting back into reloading and am running a Redding T7 and Forster Co Ax. I have bought the high capacity priming system for the T7. Neither seems to have a great priming system, so I am considering eBaying an old style lee hand prime to cover both. I'll mainly be loading rifle and low volume pistol rounds on the above presses.

I used to use the lee press priming system, which I liked. I may go back to it.

The T7 system is about the same price as a lot of the hand prime systems, though the hand prime systems seem more flexible for time and location as was mentioned earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I prime on my t7 mostly small batches of handgun ammo working up loads, works fine for me.
    Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12