Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataPBcastcoRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 1892 questions before buying...

Winchester 1892 questions before buying...

Ok so I went to a local gun store and the man had a Winchester 1892 for sale. Im not too familiar with this model but I noticed a few uncommon details that I'd need info on.

1. The rifle has Numrich Arms on the barrel. Instead of Winchester...?

2. On the receiver there is alot of markings next to the saddle ring. A bunch of letters and some type of number 0137. I thought it was the serial number at first or maybe it even looked like some type of military designation. I dont think these rifles were issued though, maybe they were.

3. Has a leather sling attached to the barrel band and on a sling mount on the side of the rear stock.

4. The serial number on the lower tang looks like it was engraved by a dremel or something. They put it horizontally across the tang instead of length wise like it should be. If I remember correctly it was 81XXX. Eighty one thousand something...

Keep in mind the rifle looks well used, the wood is appropriate to the rifle. Doesnt seem like it has been refurbished any time soon. The only thing thats interesting to me is the weird serial number and the markings on the receiver. I haven't seen that before. Hopefully someone knows what I mean.

I wouldn't touch it unless it's nearly free and I was looking for a rifle project.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I wouldn't touch it unless it's nearly free and I was looking for a rifle project.
    Why. What happened to it?

Sounds like a rebarreled gun at some point as Numrich is gun parts Corp. Mike Puzo who goes by twobit on various forums is an expert on 1892’s and has cataloged over 11,000 for his book. I would run this by him.
    https://winchestercollector.org/foru...-rifle-survey/

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Why. What happened to it?
    Numrich barrels could be made by anybody and usually not so great. Serial number altered. That's enough to let you know it's a project rather than a rifle to buy and use.

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    What caliber ? Some off brands made 30 years back were OK. Santa Fe was a brand I have seen and they worked. We have a Santa Fe 1873 and many of the parts (all the springs) interchange with a real Winchester.
    What was the price ? We have minimal $$$'s in our Santa Fe and it shoots as good as most our 1873's in 44 WCF with a real tang sight and better front sight.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good evening
    What caliber ? Some off brands made 30 years back were OK. Santa Fe was a brand I have seen and they worked. We have a Santa Fe 1873 and many of the parts (all the springs) interchange with a real Winchester.
    What was the price ? We have minimal $$$'s in our Santa Fe and it shoots as good as most our 1873's in 44 WCF with a real tang sight and better front sight.
    Its in 44-40. And I dont know the price. The gunsmith is gone hunting so He said i need to wait two or three weeks before he gets back. From what people are saying it seems like a project gun.

Boolit Master

I believe those Winchesters were imported by Numerich. Originally they were from a prison in South America and were issued to the guards. That is an older model, 1st gen I believe so the metal is pretty soft. Not a good candidate for a caliber swap.

Boolit Master
    there were a bunch of 92's came in for s.a. I saw a table full of them they were used hard.in the 60's numerich had replacement barrels for old Winchesters. they even had conversions of 92's in .38-40 and .44-40 to .44 mag.

I would not pay more it then a rossi

92s were issued in Britain in the depots during WWI and/or WWII. A few of them may have seen Cuba.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Im sure the guy will ask a ridiculous price for it. He said he would call after he had the gunsmith check them. Only issue is that the gunsmith left on a hunting trip. So I need to wait 2 weeks.

He put my name down for this rifle and a mossberg bolt action .410. I dont have really a use for one but if it is cheap enough il buy it. My dad and grandfather(his dad) used one for awhile. It has the adjustable choke on it. Thought it would just be a nice piece to have.

Super Moderator

.............Some M92 Clones were foreign made and called 'El Tigre'. Quality varied. Google search: www.google.com/search q=winchester+1892+el+tigre&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS631US63 1&oq=Winchester+1892+El+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.1158 4j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Shouldn't the real serial number be on the bottom front of the action?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    yes it should. but that is a high wear area because it is the balance point. many of the s.a. reimports had worn numbers and they were restamped on the lower tang.

the more coming out about this rifle the less I would pay for it. some think just because it has Winchester on it is a gold bar rather then brass bar it is.

Boolit Grand Master

The altered serial number is a felony stay clear of this one!!!!

Boolit Master
    if it was one of the English models. it would be stamped notenglishmade in one line.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    yes it should. but that is a high wear area because it is the balance point. many of the s.a. reimports had worn numbers and they were restamped on the lower tang.

the more coming out about this rifle the less I would pay for it. some think just because it has Winchester on it is a gold bar rather then brass bar it is.
    The serial number was on the lower tang. Clearly done with some type of bad engraving tool.

And the lower tang can be swapped out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    And the lower tang can be swapped out.
    yup! number on the lower tang means NOTHING
    In our country a restramp is legal so long as it is done by a registered dealer and properly documented

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post

I believe those Winchesters were imported by Numrich.

Originally they were from a prison in South America and were issued to the guards.

That is an older model, 1st gen I believe so the metal is pretty soft.

Not a good candidate for a caliber swap.

Please allow me to expand upon why this rifle shouldn't be touched with w 10" pole.

IF (and that's a big "if") it's a genuine Winchester 1892, AND the SN is as described, then whether it's the original serial numbers or not, the original SN's been altered - which is against US Federal Law to buy, sell, own or possess.

If it wasn't made by Winchester, and it came from S.A., it might have originally been an "El Tigre" (google it) Model 1892, which have a history of iffy quality .

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast