WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester 1892 questions before buying...

The serial # must be on the FRAME in the U.S.A. If it is not, it is not a Winchester. Perhaps the Spanish El Tigre. Unless it is very inexpensive, I'd pass on it as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The upper tang had the WInchester 1892 stamp. Looks like a real one. Its just that the receiver had so many writings on it. I didnt mention it I think, but the rifle is a saddle ring carbine. Thats why I thought it could have been military related. The upper tang had Win model stamp but the barrel Had Numerich stamped.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    The upper tang had the WInchester 1892 stamp. Looks like a real one. Its just that the receiver had so many writings on it. I didnt mention it I think, but the rifle is a saddle ring carbine. Thats why I thought it could have been military related. The upper tang had Win model stamp but the barrel Had Numerich stamped.
    proper serial number will be on the bottom of the action underneath the area where magazine is drilled through - its right at the carry point so is subject to wear .

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If the rifle is a foreign clone, then the crude serial number on the tang might be the only one it has. Long guns in the USA weren't required to have the serial number on the receiver proper until 1968. My 1967 Marlin Glenfield 30 has it on the lower tang from the factory.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    If the rifle is a foreign clone, then the crude serial number on the tang might be the only one it has. Long guns in the USA weren't required to have the serial number on the receiver proper until 1968. My 1967 Marlin Glenfield 30 has it on the lower tang from the factory.
    May not be "required" but Winchester stamped all the 92's I ever saw on the reciever bottom up front - right where they balance for carry - I have a couple of 5 digit early ones and also later versions same place - clones different? likely yes - but hes tellin us it has a clear Winchester stamp on the uppper tang so that part is correct - I have seen a couple with the numbers rubbed that faint they could barely be read - quite likely if it was a prison guard gun (carried eight or ten hours a day!)

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    May not be "required" but Winchester stamped all the 92's I ever saw on the reciever bottom up front - right where they balance for carry - I have a couple of 5 digit early ones and also later versions same place - clones different? likely yes - but hes tellin us it has a clear Winchester stamp on the uppper tang so that part is correct - I have seen a couple with the numbers rubbed that faint they could barely be read - quite likely if it was a prison guard gun (carried eight or ten hours a day!)
    Keep in mind the only winchester marking is on that tang... All other ones are non-present.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Keep in mind the only winchester marking is on that tang... All other ones are non-present.
    Kev
    My 92's dont have anything else on the reciever
    just the serial number underneath up front and the marking on the upper tang - that is in three lines 1-model 1892
    2- Winchester 3 Patent blurb - ......barrel has calibre marking eg 32 WCF and then the Winchester barrel marking running longwise
    If there is an issue with legality of serial number I would likely pass and spend the money on a Rossi at some point - but I think you like resurrecting originals?

The dealer will enter whatever # he finds on the 4473 form. Look hard at the normal serial# location- no evidence of grinding/sanding? I don't believe handling wear could completely remove the deep factory stamping. Go back and take lots of pics for us curious types.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The dealer will enter whatever # he finds on the 4473 form. Look hard at the normal serial# location- no evidence of grinding/sanding? I don't believe handling wear could completely remove the deep factory stamping. Go back and take lots of pics for us curious types.

Il ask for pics if possible. People have different opinions on pictures. Especially at gun shows. I dont know what can happen when I take a picture but people are quite reluctant sometimes. Il also look for the serial number on the receiver.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I wouldn't touch it unless it's nearly free and I was looking for a rifle project.
    Nobade for the win. Might be an interesting shooter but your spidey sense was correct that something was off. Buy if it you get a good price but remember you are getting what you pay for.

I've bought a couple of these. Some shot really good, some not so much but none I would consider worth a great deal.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    It sounds like everyone has decided this rifle falls into the "shooter" class rather than the "collector" class. While waiting for the gunsmith to return, ask the seller if he would go with you to a range where you can cycle a few rounds through the rifle to determine that it will fire and function properly. Just that information should be determined before you have any serious intentions about buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    It sounds like everyone has decided this rifle falls into the "shooter" class rather than the "collector" class. While waiting for the gunsmith to return, ask the seller if he would go with you to a range where you can cycle a few rounds through the rifle to determine that it will fire and function properly. Just that information should be determined before you have any serious intentions about buying it.
    I shoot everything I have. I own a few expensive rifles, and I shoot all of them. I wont own anything I wont shoot. I was interested in the rifle because it was a saddle ring carbine. It looked cool from far. Once it got in my hands though I had a change of thought.

And I wish I could go to a range but thats not possible. None in my area. And I dont think anyone around here or in this country even does that. That's more of an American thing I feel like No gun stores have ranges in proximity, not in my area atleast.

In the mean time Im shooting what I have!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12