Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had our First Bear Meat.

Boolit Grand Master

Had our First Bear Meat.

Yesterday we had a bear "net" roast. For those who do not know, that is seasoned cubed bear meat that is stuffed into netting.

Cooked it in a slow cooker with olive oil, soy sauce, garlic, honey, chicken broth and pinch of ground ginger.

Man was it GOOD. Meat came form a smallish 146 lb bear my buddy shot this year. Made a bit of gravy from the liquid in the slow cooker and added a bit of teriyaki and Worcestershire sauce. Baked potatoes and corn rounded it out.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

That sounds good! Does cubing it tenderize it? Or is to speed up cooking or what?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Banned

cubing does a few things. It allows you to take a rougher piece of meat and first trim it down better. then it allows the heat to work on breaking down the toughness a bit better but mostly it allows more of your meat to be in contact with the spices. I used to do it a lot but not much anymore. I get enough wild game that I can use the tougher cuts for burger and my roasts are pretty much pure red meat and because its just the wife and I they don't have to be all that big to begin with.

Boolit Grand Master

That sounds delicious! The only bear that I ever had was done like a beef stew.

USMC 77, USRA 79

My mother was and is the best bear cook.. and my favorite was Corned bear... she would corn the large roasts, and we would eat corned Bear meat sandwiches on her home made bread with mustard... I am drooling at 0400 am.....
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    My mother was and is the best bear cook.. and my favorite was Corned bear... she would corn the large roasts, and we would eat corned Bear meat sandwiches on her home made bread with mustard... I am drooling at 0400 am.....
    I’m drooling right now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My buddy harvested a bear 2 seasons ago. He said it tasted like *** no matter what way it was cooked. Even mixed with other meats.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    My buddy harvested a bear 2 seasons ago. He said it tasted like *** no matter what way it was cooked. Even mixed with other meats.
    I heard the same thing. With all the positive posts here maybe some are not cleaning or preparing correctly. No bear in my state, but there is just north of me. I have an aquaintenance that shot a smallish black bear on an out of state hunt. I will ask him about the meat next time I talk to him.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Bear meat is and aquired taste. One I never got. I won't shoot one just so I don't have to eat it and if a friend does, I refuse to take any just to they can enjoy the entire thing.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned

Some may laugh at me. I eat all kinds of wild game and have eaten bear many times but am not a big fan. Its not that it tastes bad its that when I grew up and was a teenager we had an open dump outside of town that we use to go to to shoot varmints. Place was lousy with bear in the evening and I watched them eating and rolling in maggots and trash and just consider them a very dirty animal. I know a wild bear in the woods is a bit cleaner in its habbits but they still will eat maggot infested meat if they find a carcass and are much more prone to parasites then most wild game. For the most part when I shoot one I either make sausage with it using a cure or give it away. When I worked I had a partner that just loved bear meat. he had standing offer to me that if I gave him my bear he would give me two butchered deer after deer season. He got a lot of them. I made out because I got more meat and didn't even have to butcher it. He made out because he did taxidermy on the side and could sell the bear rugs he made and his family like bear meat more then they did deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Bear meat is and aquired taste. One I never got. I won't shoot one just so I don't have to eat it and if a friend does, I refuse to take any just to they can enjoy the entire thing.

Moderator Emeritus

Black bear is meh... had brown bear in AK at my nephews. Wow! Is that tasty stuff!

I had bear steak and roast at a wild game banquet I went to earlier this year. First time for bear, and it was good. The roast was not as good. Dunno if it was just the way it was cooked or the way it had been stored. The steak was amazing though. Flavor and texture was great.

I might add, it was black bear, and the taste of the steak was very similar to beef. Where as the roast was about halfway between beef and elk in my estimation.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 11-08-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Boolit Master

Are you all happy now? Sitting here, mouth watering, hungry again! Gotta head for kitchen!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Banned

bear does have a flavor (or lack of flavor) closer to beef then venison. You could feed someone a bear roast claiming it was beef and easily fool them. Mostly because bear fat is palatable and venison isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I had bear steak and roast at a wild game banquet I went to earlier this year. First time for bear, and it was good. The roast was not as good. Dunno if it was just the way it was cooked or the way it had been stored. The steak was amazing though. Flavor and texture was great.

I might add, it was black bear, and the taste of the steak was very similar to beef. Where as the roast was about halfway between beef and elk in my estimation.

Boolit Master
    I have tried eating black bear meat from every one I killed or someone in our party killed. All I can say is yuck, lol. Spring bear, fall bear that been eating berries, they were all disgusting.
    I am glad the OP found a good tasting one. They have to be pretty rare.
    East Tennessee

Super Moderator

One thing about eating bear, don't cook it rare! Those rascals carry more parasites than any pig ever did. My dad hunted them and liked eating them... So, I have eaten it before, and it wasn't anything that I'd write home about. I would like to try some that someone's mother, or great aunt cooked that was really good eating. I think sometimes there's an art to cooking certain things. Bear must be one of them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    My feelings exactly. I have tried bear meat every way it could be cooked, made into jerky, roasted, etc., and I just can't keep it in my mouth long enough to swallow it!. The more I chew it, the bigger it gets! Spit and sputter and out it goes.

I wont hunt them as I can't stand to gut them, clean them or eat them.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

In the late 60's one of our customers, a retired multi millionaire used to travel around different states and hunt. He brought us some bear jerky that was gross tasting. I gave my portion to my dog. On another occasion he brought us his home made sausage made with bear and elk meat that was delicious.

Boolit Master
    I don’t have time to hunt them so I have to rely on my buddies to supply meat. I make summer sausage and smoked hams out of it. Everyone that has tried it seems to like it.

Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

The time of year and how you handle it makes a big difference in the taste. Bears first out of the den in the spring are horrible, give them 3 weeks of eating clover they are great. Get one that’s been in a Huckleberry patch for a while, it’s to die for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast