MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: My luck with T/C Compass

Boolit Grand Master

My luck with T/C Compass

I bought two of these for $425 net when they had the rebates a few months back. Both in .308. One to replace my M70 Coyote, that was getting a bit heavy to hunt with, and another for my son. BTW all groups reported are 5 shot.

Finally got around to sighting mine in for the upcoming deer season. Initial testing and barrel breakin was done with Norma Match. Not bad but no where near the M70. The Compass shot groups under 1.5”.

Then tried some test loads with the 165 gr Sierra GameKing bullets I use for hunting. All in LC prepped brass. The M70 is sub MOA with 40 gr of Varget. That load went 1” in the Compass. Groups with 41, 42, and 43 gr all 1.375” to 1.625”. Which I deemed quite acceptable for a cheap rifle with a 5 lb trigger. I had another load at 44 gr and was seeing some pressure signs, plus the rain was starting, and was not going to test it....and then went for it. All 5 shots where in a group 7/16 edge to edge....well under 1/4 MOA

I admit I was nervous firing that last shot!

Need to test it again to make sure it was as not a fluke. Will also test between 43 and 44 gr. But in military cases I think 44 gr is a max load. In any case, no need to go higher if that load shoots.

My thoughts on the Compass. Trigger is a bit heavy and cannot go less than 5 1/4 lbs without changing springs but it breaks clean. It comes with scope mounts so that saves a few dollars. Not a pretty gun but then I do not need to worry about treating it delicately when woods hunting. Even at 1.5 MOA, it affords more than acceptable accuracy at the price point. If the 44 gr Varget load remains under MOA, it is truly a bargain. Lastly, I fired 36 rounds and recoil did not bother me at all, and I am recoil sensitive.

I would certainly recommend this gun as a hunting weapon.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

https://www.mcarbo.com/thompson-cent...pring-kit.aspx
    I put this trigger spring kit in my .243 compass brought the trigger pull down to a crisp 2 lbs. for less than $20. For the price point a T/C compass with a nice trigger is hard to beat.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of NRA high power competitors (service rifle ) shoot very well with 4 3/4 to 5 lb triggers. Rules require the service rifle trigger lifts a 4 1/2lb weight. A good crisp clean trigger in that range is very controllable.

They are tempting for sure. A .243 or 6.5 Creedmor would make a great deer rifle for my daughter to teach my grandson with. Does Boyd's offer stocks yet? And I'd have to get rid of that bolt knob......Thanks for the range report!

Boolit Master
    I am pretty happy with my 6.5CM TC Compass rifle. It shoots better than I can. I did double check the stock screws as some people reported a screw coming loose. There is a company making full length scope mount rails for the guns. They have both the Weaver and Picatinny types. https://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...prod94507.aspx
    Boyds just started selling wood stocks for them too. ref https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/conte...pass-gunstocks

I have seen them selling for as little as $229 with rebates and such. If you have a lot of points to redeem at Cabelas you can really get the cost down.

Boolit Grand Master
    ! 1/4 inch !! way to go.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    https://www.mcarbo.com/thompson-cent...pring-kit.aspx
    I put this trigger spring kit in my .243 compass brought the trigger pull down to a crisp 2 lbs. for less than $20. For the price point a T/C compass with a nice trigger is hard to beat.
    I saw that and nearly bought it. But for a deer hunting rifle I am ok with the stock trigger and it breaks clean and that is way more important to me. It can get cold and miserable in Michigan. LOL.

I doubt this will be a 1/4 MOA rifle, but it looks like MOA...and that is darn good! Again these are 5 shot groups and I did not mention I had to mount a cheap Tasco for testing. Looking at getting a Vortex Viper with good mounts now that I know it is worth it. The scope will wind up costing double what I have in the rifle.
    Last edited by dverna; 11-06-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I saw that and nearly bought it. But for a deer hunting rifle I am ok with the stock trigger and it breaks clean and that is way more important to me. It can get cold and miserable in Michigan. LOL.

I doubt this will be a 1/4 MOA rifle, but it looks like MOA...and that is darn good! Again these are 5 shot groups and I did not mention I had to mount a cheap Tasco for testing. Looking at getting a Vortex Viper with good mounts now that I know it is worth it. costing The scope will wind up double what I have in the rifle.

I have a Savage Axis that has a scope that costs just a little less than the rifle and just got a Boyd's stock that costs a little more than half of the rifle's price. I have heard the claim that the scope should cost as much or more than the rifle. IN this day and age there is a lot of sense in that as these inexpensive rifles shoot very well.

DEP

Boolit Grand Master

They are now on sale at Kentucky Gun Co for $259 dealer with a 50 off coupon for the customer. Just got one in for a customer to him $325 delivered. And the coupon.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    [/B]

I have a Savage Axis that has a scope that costs just a little less than the rifle and just got a Boyd's stock that costs a little more than half of the rifle's price. I have heard the claim that the scope should cost as much or more than the rifle. IN this day and age there is a lot of sense in that as these inexpensive rifles shoot very well.

DEP
    I missed a 275 shot last year using my M70 due to the scope. I had dropped the rifle during the hunt. 275 yards is not a risky shot for the gun...it is sub MOA. Checked it after the hunt and it was 6” from where it should have been at 100 yards. So at 275, it was shooting 16.5” off. Good scopes are a smart investment.
    Don Verna

What to pay for scopes is another discussion, but I have found that the less expensive ones have improved like the rifles. I have a couple of older ones with optics that leave a lot to be desire. Some of the newer less expensive ones are much better. In addition I dropped my Axis this year coming down off a stand due to the sling coming undone (that issue is fixed) Later I took a nice deer at about 100 yards, although I had some reservations about using it. Just for grins and giggles I had invested in a Picatinny mount and ring set, which I feel is more adjustable and durable than the standard Weaver setups. The scope was a Redfield/Leopould. When I changed to the new stock it was dead on yet. While I have a cheap scope on my old 35 Marlin that has served me well and has held its zero through the years, I do tend to invest in better sighting gear. That holds regardless of the rifle cost.

DEP

Boolit Grand Master
    The level of accuracy that some of today's "cheapie" rifles provide is astounding. I have a Ruger American in .308 that regularly shoots 1 1/8 -1 5/8" five shot groups with an occasional group down around an inch. I bought the gun as a woods-beater, yet it it the most accurate rifle I currently have. The heavy trigger kept me from buying the Compass, or I would have bought one.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Dang, you enablers! I just ordered one in 223. After rabate and transfer fee, I will be in under $240.