MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is/Was there a Handgun That You Just Can’t Hit With?

Sig P220 with the DAK trigger. My high hopes crashed like waves on the rocks. A Revelation ( Hi-standard Sentinel) .22 snub NIB I bought from a neighbor. 5 ft max range to keep its shots on a paper plate.

Boolit Buddy

A buddy in high school had a hi-point .380 tried to shoot a clay pidgeon at 10 feet or so. Prolly shot 50 rounds and never hit it.

Keltech 40. It was Soo small you couldn't maintain a grip and would stove pipe.

Get mabey 1 or two before shots off and. The you were done

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Had a buddy who had one of the 40S&W high powers. Adjustable sight also. Used to be a pretty fair shot with just about any semi auto. So when he said try it out and let me know what you think I did. I have 18.5 lb recoil springs in my 1911A1 and had a hard time racking the slide on the HP. Regardless of what ammo we used and it was a fair amount we couldn't get the darn thing to get a decent group. Happened to have a Sig P239 in 40 S&W and it always shot well for me. Let my buddy shoot it and clover leafs on the target. The HP went down the road shortly thereafter. Sad to say both the HP is no longer in production and Sig discontinued the P239. Frank

Banned
    I've had a few handguns that just wouldn't shoot straight but most of them were old guns that had been abused before I got them. I took a chance and lost.

I've seen some new guns that wouldn't shoot but they've generally belonged to other people. One was a friend's Taurus 9mm that just would not shoot. At first I thought it was just him but I played with it and there was no doubt that it was junk. He replaced it with a Ruger and all was well. I've seen Charter Arms guns that would shoot well and some that wouldn't.
    Sometimes a gun just doesn't "fit" and sometimes the guns themselves are just junk.

BUT, I've also found some gems that surprised me. An early 70's Star Super B that will hold 2" with any ammo that it will feed (that one required a little work but the monetary investment is very low). A well used and rather old CZ-75 that I should never have sold. An early model totally stock Colt Lightweight Commander that ran like a Swiss watch and shot just as well.

Boolit Master
    I can't shoot the S&W 4506. It is literally too fat in the grip trigger area and I can't complete the trigger stroke.
    I don't shoot Glock's well, adequate, but they don't point naturally for me.

I've owned hundreds of handguns and many of them wouldn't shoot worth a hoot. I will say that I
    have had little issue with premium US manufactured guns. This doesn't include new production of
    last 20yrs. A lot of guns I get I have no interest in keeping and don't bother shooting. If it's a gun
    I'm interested in I shoot it from a rest to see if it's consistent. That doesn't mean I can shoot it offhand. There are handguns I just can't shoot and there is nothing wrong with the gun. I can't shoot
    snub nose revolvers. It drives me nuts. I think handguns are like hunting rifles, they may shoot fine
    off a rest but if they don't "fit" you, you aren't going to do well with them. There are a lot of guns
    that will not shoot accurately no matter how much you fool with loads, bullets, ect.

I bought a Colt Gold Cup 70 series in 84 when I was in the Army. It had magazine and feed ramp problems. Sent it to a gunsmith. Tried shooting it after it came back, still wouldn't feed reliably, which would cause me to hardly hit anything. Wasn't worth it after awhile, so it went away.
    Last edited by lawdog941; 11-06-2018 at 08:43 PM.

Boolit Master

Had a Hi Point 9mm pistol that would spray Federal ball ammo (plated bullets?). Shot some Remington hollow points and it shot a like a laser. Ended up selling it because my thumb applied the safety during recoil.

I have Ruger Single Six in .22/.22mag that I just can't get right. Even my kids don't like it.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Omega - you put a smile on my face!

My worst was a H & R 929 (I think that was the model) that had a 6" barrel. It wouldn't hit the target if I had placed the muzzle tight to the bullseye. It shot so low that I could have plowed with it. After messing around, I finally decided it was the barrel. I had other 22 revolvers that I could do well with . . but that H & R? It got traded back in to the LGS that hung the thing on me - I dealt with a different clerk and traded it in on a Heritage Rough Rider - the next time I was in, the guy who I dealt with on the trade wanted to know why I didn't tell him that the H & R was "off". I just smiled at him, pointed over at the clerk I had bought it from and replied . . . "Because he didn't tell me when I bought it here to begin with." I would never have hung that gun on somebody else without telling them of the issues . . . but that LGS? Karma is sometimes a great thing - what goes around, comes around!

Boolit Grand Master
    The most troublesome pistol I have ever had was a CZ-24 .380. If the target was out of short-bladed knife range, you'd probably miss. In addition, the term "jam-a-matic" had a great deal of relevance.
    I have a LLama Mini-Max that is hard pressed to hit a 9 inch plate at 25 yards, but it is very reliable.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Have you considered taking some off the right side and top of the front sight with a file? Or are they way to far off for that to be any help?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Too nubby. Any material removed from the top of the front sight would make it almost non-existent. Like most things, these could probably be fixed with the installation of custom sights. Just not worth it. And the quality of the guns was reflected in the short life of the company that made them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Small-frame double-action revolvers cause me no end of grief. OEM stock sets are a complete waste of time, if I can install larger sets that fit my hands then the shooting improves GREATLY. Self-loading pistols any smaller than a Walther PP do me no favors, either.

Ideal for me? K- or L-frame S&W, I-frame Colt, Bisley Blackhawk Ruger. Autopistols from Glock 19/23 up through the Commander-sized service designs handle well for me. Most-carried? Glock 23, S&W; 686 x 4" is a distant 2nd place and a creature of the back-country for me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Ruger SP101. My buddy got it for his wife and both he and her couldn't hit anything with it. He brought it with him when we went camping and he wanted me to try it out.

At 7yds, slow fire, it would do maybe a 6" group. I've never fired a pistol that was that bad.

I told him Ruger will take care of it for him, but he said his wife didn't like it anyway and they were going to trade it in on a Ruger auto of some kind.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I had a brand new Nagant pistol when SOG was selling them for 59 dollars about 8 years ago. That is one gun that I don't think it is physically possible to shoot a group with. By the time the 14 pound single action sear broke, the muzzle was already on it's way to the center of the earth. Add the 3 second lock time to the equation, and a feller had ought to hope a bad guy slipped on some ice and was already on the ground waiting for all 635 FPS of semi-hot lead. I think the double action pull was around 30 pounds---I'm not kidding.

Boolit Master

My wife had a snub nosed .38 Special Taurus one time. I shot it several times and was unable to hit a 5 gallon plastic bucket with it at 25 yards. Her brother had to have it and offered her $100. It went home with him./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    I had a brand new Nagant pistol when SOG was selling them for 59 dollars about 8 years ago. That is one gun that I don't think it is physically possible to shoot a group with. By the time the 14 pound single action sear broke, the muzzle was already on it's way to the center of the earth. Add the 3 second lock time to the equation, and a feller had ought to hope a bad guy slipped on some ice and was already on the ground waiting for all 635 FPS of semi-hot lead. I think the double action pull was around 30 pounds---I'm not kidding.
    I forgot about my Nagant contraption. Mine is a 1916 Tula Arsenal rebuild, S/A trigger isn't all that bad--about like a Glock New York trigger. D/A trigger.......fuggetaboutit.

I load the full-length Starline brass with enough Unique to prompt about 850 FPS out of Lyman #313492. Given the dinky grips, dinky sights, medieval trigger, and my big paws--6" to 7" groups is about as good as it gets at 25 yards. I have actually kanked a couple jackrabbits with this rig, those critters must have been having real bad days on those occasions.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

First issue S&W Sigma .40 S&W.
    At least it was reliable. Horribly inaccurate for 4 different shooters. I hear the current SV's are much better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    After my surgery (twice) and experimental chemo I have neuropathy and any Glock is going low left. I only have one striker fired center fire and that is a Ruger LC9s Pro that shoots well for me. The Glocks went to a good home and I got a CZ 75 SP-01 that has a hammer so I can cock it or carry it in Condition 1 and shoot it.

I haven't fired my 22/45 since my surgery, so I dunno how that will work out.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast