Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is/Was there a Handgun That You Just Can’t Hit With?

Boolit Master

Is/Was there a Handgun That You Just Can’t Hit With?

It seems that many of us handgunners have a bit of an ego thinking (knowing) that we can shoot anything handgun wise.

Back in the 80’s I had a second generation S&W pistol (5900 series) full size, that I could not hit the ground pointing straight down. I really WANTED to make it work for me. I wasted a ton of Ammo trying, but finally admitted my failure and dumped it. Never shot another 1st, 2nd,or 3rd generation Model 39 style Smith since and have no inclination to.

I love Hi Powers, have 2 of them, 9mm. 20 years ago I bought a 40 HP. As much as wanted to love it, it would hit 8-10 inches off the mark. Dumped it and never ever thought about getting another.

What handguns just won’t work for you?
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 11-05-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

The worse shooting gun I ever had was a H&R .22, dang thing had a crooked barrel I think. It would hit at least 3" or 4" to the left of where I aimed, but it would do it consistently, so I could hit what I was shooting at. Most every gun I have now shoots ok, even the *** Jennings .22 shoots straight, even though it double feeds or fails to eject every other shot.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Interesting topic. I'm surprised that the S&W didn't work out for you, but the truth of the matter is that I've never fired a 39. I did have somewhat the same experience with a Hi-Power 9mm that was a WW II tangent sighted version complete with Nazi markings. The trigger was terrible and I couldn't keep it on the paper. As for the Jennings J-22, I've got one of the early ones, made in Chino, CA, I believe, and it works great. When I was an FFL I sold quite a few of them and the one reoccurring complaint was the poor quality of the magazines. The plastic followers liked to pop out of the top, and once they did they became useless. It's been a long time and I can't remember where I got them, but someone somewhere made some after-market mags that worked well and were more durable. I guess the poorest quality guns I got sucked in on was buying three Standard Arms of Nevada 9mm pistols. They were only warrantied to work with FMJ ammo of one particular brand, and all shot very left and very low. The sights were non-adjustable and I felt so bad about the situation that I never passed them off on anyone and still have them stored away somewhere. Oddly, the magazines were top quality made by MEC-GAR or similar and were the best part of the gun!

I have a persistent (Mrs. Thumbcocker says stubborn) streak. I notice that I spend more time fighting with guns that don't shoot well than I do shooting my best shooting guns. I am working on that.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Interesting topic. I'm surprised that the S&W didn't work out for you, but the truth of the matter is that I've never fired a 39. I did have somewhat the same experience with a Hi-Power 9mm that was a WW II tangent sighted version complete with Nazi markings. The trigger was terrible and I couldn't keep it on the paper. As for the Jennings J-22, I've got one of the early ones, made in Chino, CA, I believe, and it works great. When I was an FFL I sold quite a few of them and the one reoccurring complaint was the poor quality of the magazines. The plastic followers liked to pop out of the top, and once they did they became useless. It's been a long time and I can't remember where I got them, but someone somewhere made some after-market mags that worked well and were more durable. I guess the poorest quality guns I got sucked in on was buying three Standard Arms of Nevada 9mm pistols. They were only warrantied to work with FMJ ammo of one particular brand, and all shot very left and very low. The sights were non-adjustable and I felt so bad about the situation that I never passed them off on anyone and still have them stored away somewhere. Oddly, the magazines were top quality made by MEC-GAR or similar and were the best part of the gun!
    Have you considered taking some off the right side and top of the front sight with a file? Or are they way to far off for that to be any help?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    32 auto webly and scott could not hit inside of bucket with the barrel inside pointed down never figured it out so off it went

Boolit Grand Master
    .32 Seecamp.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I have an original rem derringer that I haven't been able to shoot very well. its short small grip light and sights are non existant. I have worked with the secamp and the gutter sight on it took awhile to learn how to use it and where to hold but it worked then. I also have to watch the double stacked mag pistols as the added grip size can make them harder for me to shoot.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes.... A 38 S&W Double Action 4th model top break revolver.
    Tiny grip and minuscule sights . My daughter said the only way to hit a barn might be to shoot from the inside .... and that would be iffy . I agree....I had a target set up at three long steps and never hit it once.....I have no idea where that gun throws boolits but it's not to POA.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I had a Ruger 944 in 40 cal about 10 years ago. I couldn't hit a barn if I was on the inside shooting out. I just could never get a pattern with it. I know it was me too...that's the sad part. A buddy of mine could hit target all day long with it. So I sold it to him.

I don't know whether is was just the design of the pistol...or the grips...or my grip...or what...but I didn't lose any sleep over selling it.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I had a 4.5" 357 Ruger blackhawk for a few months or so. Really liked the gun but couldn't hit squat with it. It was me as my buddy could shoot it well, so down the road it went. The kicker was that I could shoot my 5946 at 100yds and get a smaller group than I could with the ruger at 25yds.

Boolit Master

Don,
    A Seecamp is an across the table gun. What kind of accuracy were you expecting.

For me it was a S & W Model 59, had to play back & forth so much with bullet diameter. Finally gave up on it. It's no fun when you spend more time fighting with a Gun then shooting it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Man
    The very first year of the S&W 40 cal, I bought their semi auto I believe was a model 2006. Seven yards from target i could line up sights pefect on a 3ft high target, and the rounds would hit the ground in front of target. Sent it back to SW twice to have sights adjusted to "battle sight zero". Came back both times the same. Smith ended up taking it back refunding my money. It's a shame to, cause shooting instinctive with same pistol i could devastate the bullseye. Just wouldn't keep a gun with horrible sights

Boolit Master
    This Femaru 7.65 somebody brought back from the war. Given to me, no blueing, rust pits everywhere. It does go bang, so long as you only use FMJ. Accuracy...point blank maybe.

40 guns can be hit or miss. I know a guy who still hates 40 to this day as he got a glock that was not very accurate. Cant say the glocks I had were any better in 40, but my CZ and FN drill them.

Cannot say my S&W shield in 9mm is very accurate. Not me, several people have tried it and various ammo, just not a very accurate gun.

Boolit Grand Master

It has taken me a while to shoot a birds head grip accurately. I'm getting it. Two of my favorite guns are birds heads - one I can change, the other I don't think so.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    H&R .22 Sidekick back in 1962. I was so young - 11, that I did not really consider that there might actually be revolvers that one could hit with.

I have never been able to shoot any Ruger single action handgun accurately. I have tried several and I doubt they were all problem guns. They just don't work for me.

Boolit Master

My first ever 1911A1 (from DCM) many years ago. Wasn't my first handgun but I just could NOT get it to print any kind of group. Had a basic (fixed sight) Colt Woodsman and a .357 Blackhawk (still have it!) that I shot reasonably well but the Gov't Model just wouldn't come together for me. Didn't know enough gunsmithing back then to really work out what was wrong so I swapped it to someone I don't recall for something I don't remember.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

The 9mm/40S&W sized S&W M&P. Might just be the best feeling/fitting semi auto I've ever held. Fits my hand perfect... but I couldn't hit **** with it. Spent lots of time, effort and money on a great trigger. Didn't help.

The 45 sized M&P doesn't feel nearly as good, but I shoot it just fine.

My best friend for most of my life wasn't a huge gun guy, but a very good shooter for the occasional shooter he was. He just couldn't shoot single actions though. Auto and double actions were fine, but single actions, no matter the size and grip shape, just didn't work.
    Last edited by Mr_Sheesh; 11-08-2018 at 07:37 PM.
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Master
    Yes S&W 22 revolver model 17! With my Ruger GP100 in 357 magnum I could consistently get 3/4” groups at 25 yards. That 22, I was lucky to get 2 3/4” groups at 25 feet! Had the gun looked at by a very competant GS as I was sure the sites were bad or the barrel was bad. Nope just me I hated that gun and only kept it as a trapping gun.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast