Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & Sons

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is/Was there a Handgun That You Just Canít Hit With?

For me it’s my Pietta 1858 Remington cap and ball revolver. I know some guys can be fairly accurate with them but I generally scatter balls into spreads more than groups! The 12 pound trigger I’m sure has something to do with it! I’d get rid of it but it was my first pistol I bought after I turned 18.

Boolit Master

I’m no great shakes with a pistol anyway, but I was pretty disgusted when I found my new Uberti Cattleman cap&ball Single Action could put six shots into a group about half the size of the best loads with my Uberti 1890 Police clone in .44-40.

Over the course of months, the 1890 Police was the gun I gave everything to, and it gave me nothing back. Checked muzzle crown and cylinder throats, fire-lapped the barrel, filed out the tiny slit in the top strap that is allegedly the rear sight, tried a zillion powders and primers, different boolit styles (within the limitations of the cartridge), even tried Winchester and Remington jacketed bullets.

I finally made a pair of better-holding (fatter) grips for the thing and found that the best-liked boolit was Ideal 42499 hollow point behind a moderate charge of Bullseye. This will give maybe B- accuracy, while the easier to cast 42798 gives maybe C+. All other loads are C to F. It doesn’t like any other powders any better than Bullseye and despises most of them. “Minute-of-Bad-Guy” is how a friend describes its best shooting.

The gun looks really cool, and is a definite advance on single action technology,as the grip frame is solid, with no screws to loosen, and the method of cylinder pin removal is much easier than on the Colt types. Too bad it doesn’t shoot better.

All my SA Colts and clones of same (including a .44-40) are easy to load for and shoot very accurately. Maybe I’m just not a Remington guy.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234